★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Capturing sample videos

10-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Capturing sample videos

What methods are people using for capturing sample videos from their apps? For both the iPhone and the iPad.

I tried just using a video camera and the results were not too good.

Thanks

Matthew
10-26-2011, 08:30 AM
For a video camera you have to be able to lock focus and light levels, that way when your hand comes in it doesn't freak out. Otherwise, just use some screen capture software. Up to you.

10-26-2011, 12:05 PM
If you jailbreak your iphone or ipad you can use an app called Display Recorder which works extremely well.You can control the frame rate, quality, video format and orientation.
10-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to helioxfilm
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMoya View Post
If you jailbreak your iphone or ipad you can use an app called Display Recorder which works extremely well.You can control the frame rate, quality, video format and orientation.
I'm also looking for something like this. One you jailbreak the developer iPad, can you resotre the non-jailbreaked status? Or xcode works well with a jailbreaked device?
10-26-2011, 06:10 PM
It does not matter if you have a jailbreaked iPhone, xcode works the same!
I suggest you use iSimulate, you control your iPhone simulator with your real device!And you capture your screen using any software of your choosing.I installed it yesterday and it works awesome!
http://www.vimov.com/isimulate/

My Twitter:@Tudor

Last edited by MrLeQuack; 10-26-2011 at 06:12 PM.
10-27-2011, 12:40 AM
Send a message via Skype™ to helioxfilm
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
I suggest you use iSimulate, you control your iPhone simulator with your real device!And you capture your screen using any software of your choosing.I installed it yesterday and it works awesome!
My problem is that the iPad simulator runs at 20 fps without screen recording, and at 15 fps, if I record the screen...

Last edited by helioxfilm; 10-27-2011 at 03:24 PM.
10-27-2011, 02:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHille View Post
What methods are people using for capturing sample videos from their apps? For both the iPhone and the iPad.

I tried just using a video camera and the results were not too good.

Thanks

Matthew
You can try capturing video from the HDMI-output of the iPad digital output adapter. (We couldn't get it working with our Blackmagic Intensity Pro, though!)

So instead these days we're simply capturing footage from a desktop build that we run at the desired device resolution. Note that this means a native PC or Mac build, not the simulator build.
10-31-2011, 07:48 AM
Someone tested BlackMagic HyperDeck Shuttle with iPad 2 HDMI mirroring output?

UNAgames - iOS indie developers.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
11-01-2011, 02:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
Nice find!
11-15-2011, 09:28 PM
What I ended up doing

Thanks for everyones responses. I thought I would give you a quick summary of what I ended up doing.

I liked the HDMI recording approach so that's what I tried.

I bought a AVerMedia HDMI capture card for my PC. This allows to me mirror my iPad screen to the PC. This hardware/software combo allows for recording of the HDMI input but the iPad looks to be using HDCP so the HDMI can't be directly recorded.

Fraps allowed me to record the PC screen. These files are in a fraps format and are large.

I used VLC to transcode the fraps files into a more managable mp4 file.

The quality was good.

Matthew