★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPad: Martian Miner

10-26-2011, 11:05 AM
Help save Mars in Martian Miner by Digital Leprechaun!

You probably donít know my name, but you will find me in the credits of some of the highest rated AAA titles in the past 10 years. My name is Joe Wilcox and up until recently I was a Senior Programmer at Epic Games. I was part of the team that put together the amazing Epic Citadel demo and I was one of the main game play programmers on Unreal Tournament 3. Of course, Iíve also worked on titles like Gears of War, Bulletstorm and UDK Mobile. All told, I have worked on and shipped over 15 commercial titles.

Today, Iím happy to announce the release of our next title, ďMartian MinerĒ! Martian Miner is an excellent old school arcade game updated to take full advantage of the iPadís touch screen. Itís got great action across 9 planets, each with a bonus wave, an awesome array of power ups, deadly weapons and 2 different game types. Right now, Martian Miner is an iPad exclusive. However, an iPhone 4/4s version is in the works.

In honor of the release and the fact that Halloween is by far the best Holiday, both Martian Miner and our first game Suicide Kings are Ĺ off, available now in the app store for $0.99.

Youtube link | Pop Up

Last edited by Digital Leprechaun; 10-27-2011 at 06:54 PM.
10-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Any chance of a gameplay video? I really don't have a very good idea of what this game is about from just the description and pictures.

10-27-2011, 06:57 PM
I just attached one. Hope you like it. If you buy it, please review it.
10-27-2011, 07:12 PM
Are the controls only touch or dual stick available? This looks like this would benefit dual sticks. Also any plans for a lite version?
10-27-2011, 08:16 PM
I got it, and it looks great on the iPad. Controls are "flick" so there are frustrations with the movement. Sometimes you can really fling the ship with short swift movements. Not predictable like I would like. I think they are going for a non- dual stick shooter though.

I think some will really like it, it's got appealing visuals, and a lot of stuff to unlock. IAP does not look required, although will allow one to get upgrades faster. I am not sure if they are consumable or not.

I prefer more control though, and so I am not immediately enamored, but perhaps with some further play throughs. For those that don't like dual stick shooters though, I think they will like this. Maybe it's the influence of the blog, but it looks pretty durn polished to me. I'd give it a 3+ or a 4- but mostly because I am a dual stick player at heart.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
10-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluto6 View Post
I got it, and it looks great on the iPad. Controls are "flick" so there are frustrations with the movement. Sometimes you can really fling the ship with short swift movements. Not predictable like I would like. I think they are going for a non- dual stick shooter though.

I think some will really like it, it's got appealing visuals, and a lot of stuff to unlock. IAP does not look required, although will allow one to get upgrades faster. I am not sure if they are consumable or not.

I prefer more control though, and so I am not immediately enamored, but perhaps with some further play throughs. For those that don't like dual stick shooters though, I think they will like this. Maybe it's the influence of the blog, but it looks pretty durn polished to me. I'd give it a 3+ or a 4- but mostly because I am a dual stick player at heart.
Thanks Pluto 6 for the input.
10-27-2011, 10:36 PM
The controls are touch based. A big part of the game is capturing the feel of Asteroids where flying your ship carries risk vs. reward. I am considering porting the game to XBL and if I do, I'll have to build a new mode around twin sticks and I'd port the new game mode back to iOS.

I'm also interested in doing a lite version but I haven't figured out a good way how to do it.
10-27-2011, 10:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Leprechaun View Post
The controls are touch based. A big part of the game is capturing the feel of Asteroids where flying your ship carries risk vs. reward. I am considering porting the game to XBL and if I do, I'll have to build a new mode around twin sticks and I'd port the new game mode back to iOS.

I'm also interested in doing a lite version but I haven't figured out a good way how to do it.
Hi Joe. Yeah, I understand what you are trying to do - just does not have the right feel for me, but hopefully I'm in the minority. If you wind up doing a dual stick, I'd be all over that. I'll come back to it, and see if I like it better over time. Still a good game, just not my favorite cup of tea. Good luck with it.

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
10-28-2011, 12:25 AM
Pluto, first off thanks for the feedback. I'm always looking to improve things. Something that you might not have noticed is you don't have to just flick to move. There are 2 other techniques that you might find interesting.

The first is if you tap and hold on the Marauder then slide your finger around without letting up, it will attempt to follow you. Warning: It's not perfect (by design) and will break free if you stop moving your finger for too long (also by design). But with this you can get some interesting 2 handed action going that can really rock.

The second is if you just tap on the ship while it's moving, you can quickly reduce it's velocity which really helps with the control. The idea behind both of these was to encourage emergent game play. But maybe I should add them to the tutorial.

Thanks again for trying it out. Please rate it if you can.
The IAP isn't required at all. You get 1 credit for every 100K points you score in the game. After a little practice, getting 100K is pretty easy in both game types so you can gain credits fairly quickly. Or just buy them You can also use your credits to buy continues in the action.. that part is consumable but again, not at all mandatory. I'm open to feedback on the credits. The testing team got to the point where they would get 1-2 credits per game but if I'm finding people are having trouble collecting them, I might lower the thresholds a bit.

Btw... If upgrading, I strongly suggest maxing out Tractor Beam and Shield first.
10-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Have to agree with Pluto6 on this one, although I don't like the controls or the graphics, quite honestly (to be fair, I have not tried the control options described above). Definitely impressed by the developer's pedigree, but this particular title has a long way to go, in my opinion.

On a much more positive note, I also just download Suicide Kings by the same developer, because I missed it on launch. It looks to be quite good, actually, so I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

I do wish you luck, Digital Leprechaun, and being here to hype your games is a definite plus in my book.

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL