★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

What limitations does apple put on apps?

10-26-2011, 04:05 PM
#1
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 67
What limitations does apple put on apps?

I was thinking of making a game like LittleBigPlanet where you create your level and upload it to a server and then others can download it. But then I saw some other app was taken down because it allowed you to download data files or something. So just curious as to whether this will work.

Also wondering about game center, how many players are allowed in one game if it's multiplayer using game center?
10-26-2011, 06:02 PM
#2
The limits of your imagination!

Imaginnnaaaattiiooooon. Imaginaiaiaiaiaition. Imaginnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation.

Oh and all their closed BS that's in the documentation

10-26-2011, 06:05 PM
#3
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: In a car
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure Industries View Post
The limits of your imagination!

Imaginnnaaaattiiooooon. Imaginaiaiaiaiaition. Imaginnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaation.

Oh and all their closed BS that's in the documentation
This made me laugh so hard! This is how I pictured you answering his question

My Twitter:@Tudor
10-27-2011, 01:59 AM
#4
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 286
Well one limitation I've come across recently is that there is no promo codes for in app purchases.

And dont try making your own system for that, Apple will say no
10-27-2011, 04:21 AM
#5
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kellett View Post
Well one limitation I've come across recently is that there is no promo codes for in app purchases.

And dont try making your own system for that, Apple will say no
thats disappointing to hear. I was interested in the potential of a validation code system run outside of Apple. lots of possibilities.

Bullet Development (twitter) Bullet Skater // Psychedelic


10-27-2011, 07:30 AM
#6
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyeszx View Post
I was thinking of making a game like LittleBigPlanet where you create your level and upload it to a server and then others can download it. But then I saw some other app was taken down because it allowed you to download data files or something. So just curious as to whether this will work.

Also wondering about game center, how many players are allowed in one game if it's multiplayer using game center?
You can do that. There are several examples of this on the store, such as iBlast Moki and our own game Chalkboard Stunts. What's against their policy is downloading anything construed to be executable.

I don't know if anything changed in iOS5, but previously the limit was 4 players P2P and 16 players if you use your own server for connecting the players.

Manta AppShopper Links:
Chalkboard Stunts, AppSniper, Cubes, Virus, Cubix
10-27-2011, 08:15 AM
#7
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta Research View Post
You can do that. There are several examples of this on the store, such as iBlast Moki and our own game Chalkboard Stunts. What's against their policy is downloading anything construed to be executable.

I don't know if anything changed in iOS5, but previously the limit was 4 players P2P and 16 players if you use your own server for connecting the players.
Where can I get your own server? As an indie developer group would we have to rent out a server? Do indie devs ever own their own or just rent? There's MMOs out there so does that mean theoretically games besides MMOs can have more than 16?
10-27-2011, 09:37 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeQuack View Post
This made me laugh so hard! This is how I pictured you answering his question
That's how I answer every question
10-27-2011, 11:13 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyeszx View Post
Where can I get your own server? As an indie developer group would we have to rent out a server? Do indie devs ever own their own or just rent? There's MMOs out there so does that mean theoretically games besides MMOs can have more than 16?
I don't know where the 16 figure came from. Go Native! hosts up to 30 players in the same game at the same time (which could have been more if we didn't support 1st gen devices - a memory issue not an Apple constraint).

Looking for a writer? PM me

Game Designer of:
Family Feud Matches Gaming with a side of Matchmaking!
Family Feud 2 My First Huge Apple Feature!
Pickpawcket
And more!
10-27-2011, 07:37 PM
#10
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
I don't know where the 16 figure came from. Go Native! hosts up to 30 players in the same game at the same time (which could have been more if we didn't support 1st gen devices - a memory issue not an Apple constraint).
Why limit ourselves to 30? Make it support only ipad 2 and iphone 4s. How many do you think we can get from just those two?