★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Princess Meri has been kidnapped by an evil gang! Unfortunately for them, you are a master of karate. Fight through nine levels of intense action.

"Karate Fighter" is a loving homage to 1970's kung fu movies and classic 1980's arcade beat 'em ups.

"Karate Fighter" features story and an endless survival modes. Tangle with grapplers, knife throwers, and their evil bosses.

Features:
- optional blood splatter
- optional background music
- multiple control schemes
- three levels of difficulty
05-03-2009, 07:33 AM
How original!

05-03-2009, 07:33 AM
It looks good. I know the dev is around here somewhere.

Playing: Hi How Are You, iBlast Moki, Rolando, ScareCrow, and all of my Plus+ games.
ngmoco:] Plus+ ID: Danlipson
Challenge Me!
PM me for free video editing of... anything
05-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Needs more screenshots! Just 1 action shot of the game is hard to tell what variety it could have.

No DPad - iPhone and iPod Touch gaming. Who says gamers need a dpad?
05-03-2009, 08:25 AM
You can find more screenshots here.

I was never around during the NES times so no clue what this is all about. The controls seem a little awkward to play with but we'll see. Need to see some impressions and whatnot.
05-03-2009, 08:35 AM
brilliant. no hesitation in buying. it's a remake of the classic 80's Kung Fu Master coin op - http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8361

i'm loving it to be honest, but a few suggestions to the dev -

1) the control keys are good, but could be closer together and not spread out on the screen as much.
2) an alternative control system would be a nice option too
3) there's a problem with the controls - at the moment you can only press one button at a time. we need to be able to like run and jump and kick simultaneously. or at least be able to walk and kick together.
4) the sound f/x are great, but the original kung-fu master backing track would be the cherry on the cake.

great so far, but please say you'll keep tweaking and developing it

Last edited by sjleworthy; 05-04-2009 at 03:05 AM.
05-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjleworthy View Post
brilliant. no hesitation in buying. it's a remake of the classic 80's Kung Fu Master coin op - http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=8361

i'm loving it to be honest, but a few suggestions to the dev -

1) the control keys are good, but could be closer together and not spread out on the screen as much.
2) an alternative control system would be a nice option too
3) there's a problem with the controls - at the moment you can only press one button at a time. we need to be able to like run and jump and kick simultaneously. or at least be able to walk and kick together.
4) the sound f/x are great, but the original kung-fu master backing track would be the cherry on the cake.

great so far, but please say you'll keep tweaking and developing it
Unless I get his by a bus, this game will receive substantial updates over the next two months. 1.1 is slated to support alternate control schemes.

P.S. This thread's title is wrong - the game in the app store is titled "Karate Fighter."
05-03-2009, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjleworthy View Post
As soon as I saw the screen shot the soundtrack started playing in my head. Oh the memories!

I'll be waiting to see what kind of other control scheme there will be.

I've been away for awhile, but I'm back.
05-03-2009, 10:50 AM
at $1 - $5 per classic game, it should only cost around 10 grand to legally put the approx 4000 unique 'mame' games on iphone one remake at a time - ahh the memories. I think I'll call my pop and ask for another handfull of quarters (a big handfull).
05-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroffolino View Post
Unless I get his by a bus, this game will receive substantial updates over the next two months. 1.1 is slated to support alternate control schemes.

awesome