★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Get ready to dig! Hours of fun await in Gem Goblin. Explore a limitless variety of mines as you dig for valuable gems and survive deadly trap-filled Temples to find better items.

Your mission is to find the priceless Black Opal, and to find it you'll have to dig through caves, dungeons, underground lakes, lava pits, ancient temples, and icy glaciers.

Features

* Limitless exploration gameplay: All levels are generated and will never be the same level twice! Endless exploring fun!
* Two Game Modes: In Normal mode, you can save your progress and reload from a save if you die. Once you master that, play Iron Goblin mode for the ultimate challenge!
* Multiple Biomes: Explore all different kinds of generated areas within the game. Dungeons, Underground Lakes, Temples, Ice Caves, and more all combine to form unique and beautiful underground landscapes to explore.
* Many different Enemies: Your quest will be opposed by 8 different kinds of enemies each with their own unique behavior.
* Power Up Mushrooms: Digging, Shield, and Medusa mushrooms will power you up and give you the extra boost you need to defeat your opponents and dig through the mine!
* Level Ups: Find new Picks to dig with in the Ancient Temples, which grant you ever-increasing magical powers!

strivemind's comments:

Youtube link | Pop Up

A roguelike with a focus on mining.
10-27-2011, 10:51 PM
Love me some roguelikes, but that UI looks awful. Maybe there is something else happening here that makes up for it though.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms

10-28-2011, 01:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
Love me some roguelikes, but that UI looks awful. Maybe there is something else happening here that makes up for it though.
^this

Now Playing: Vietnam '65 | .Decluster | BP2Black | Monster Hunter Freedom Unite | Banner Saga | Ultimate General Gettysburg | Papers, Please | SmartGo Kifu | Crowntakers | Brogue | FTL
10-30-2011, 08:54 AM
Anyone try this?

Favorites: Siralim | Cavern | Dungeonism | Avadon | Solomon's Keep | Endless Depths | Tallowmere
Now Playing: Dungeons of Chaos UNITY EDITION | Siralim 2
11-28-2011, 12:05 PM
I have tried this. I had free promo codes sent to me.
11-28-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonvalefan View Post
I have tried this. I had free promo codes sent to me.
...and. Well, is it any good?
11-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medianotzu View Post
yup, gotta agree... right when I saw the first screen, the first thing that went through my head

"What the hell is up with that control layout?!?!"
11-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Ended up getting a code from the promo code forum.

I wouldn't call it a "Roquelike" game. It's more like a gem matching game in a Roque-like environment. You basically move around trying to collect the number of each color gem you need. At the same time, you try to avoid the monsters (there's no fighting, you just lose "power" if you hit one) and eat mushrooms to gain power. You need the power to dig through the walls to get to the gems.

It's not bad for what it is. It just isn't what you expect from the screenshots.
11-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Hello! Ty for the feedback from the promo codes i gave out. It is true i consider gem goblin to be more about matching and exploration than anything else but it does use a roguelike style of play. My new game is much more of an RPG style and is set in a gothic horror/cadtlevania type setting.

What i wanted to ask is, now that some of youhave played the game, do you have any ideas on how the GUI could be improvdd? Examples of other games whose guis would work better would be appriciated!

Thanks for playing!
@martianarctic
Martianarctic.com
11-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkFarmer View Post
Hello! Ty for the feedback from the promo codes i gave out. It is true i consider gem goblin to be more about matching and exploration than anything else but it does use a roguelike style of play. My new game is much more of an RPG style and is set in a gothic horror/cadtlevania type setting.

What i wanted to ask is, now that some of youhave played the game, do you have any ideas on how the GUI could be improvdd? Examples of other games whose guis would work better would be appriciated!

Thanks for playing!
@martianarctic
Martianarctic.com
Why did you give promo codes? And why did I not receive one of them? This is racism, segregation

I love this world!