★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Best game engine to use for ios/android

10-27-2011, 11:51 PM
Junior Member [Original Poster]
Best game engine to use for ios/android

Okay so me and a friend from my college want to develope a game for android. We have so far developed 2 games in class at school and i moved on to a four year college and got a BA in game development. He is currently studying some programming. We want to make an android/ios game, but right now we are not sure of the engine we should use. I have heard great things bout unity, torque and game salad. As far as developers are concerned which engine would be the best to use or game development?
10-28-2011, 03:19 AM
If you are going 2d I strongly suggests www.cocos2d-x.org. It is the cross platform C++ port of cocos2d.

For 3d Unity looks like it is the way to go, but I do not have experience in 3d mobile game dev so I might be completely off...

10-28-2011, 04:24 AM
Are there any good Android game forums like TA?
10-28-2011, 04:35 AM
We use Unity and we absolutely love it. Our latest game was released on iOS, Android, Mac and PC simultaneously and it only took ~10 days to port it to the various platforms.

Unity is primarily for 3D games, however it can be used for 2D out of the box and there are some great options for 2D libraries to help you if you don't mind spending a few hundred dollars.

I recently wrote about my experience making our latest game for 4 platforms simultaneously.

Battle Group - Tactical/Action Modern Naval Warfare
Website - Trailer - Facebook
10-28-2011, 06:20 AM
We use unity, it supports multi platform, 2D/3D and it is easy to use, cocos is optimized for 2D tho, so if you want to stick with 2D games, go for cocos.
10-29-2011, 10:45 AM
Yes, Unity3d is just awesome! Very well documented and with a great forum.
10-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Just one more 1+ for Unity from my side
We are also developing additional tools for other developers working with Unity.

Natascha "Kyena" Roosli - Rock Pocket Games
Facebook - Twitter - Oliver&Spike

Last edited by Kyena; 10-29-2011 at 11:27 AM.
10-31-2011, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by ZappedCow View Post
If you are going 2d I strongly suggests www.cocos2d-x.org.
Any experience with it? Is it stable and ready for production?

UNAgames - iOS indie developers.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
10-31-2011, 10:17 AM
For 2d only, give Corona SDK a look:

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook
Tiny Toy Chest out now!
Free Version also available
10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Kafu View Post
Any experience with it? Is it stable and ready for production?
Yes it is stable, it exists since a few years now. In the sources I even saw that it has been modified by Zynga itself (it is LGPL so they have to submit the patches).

Currently I'm using it to develop a small action/puzzle mobile game. I have been very pleased so far and didn't encountered any bugs. However I'm still in the middle of the development stage so I might have missed something...