★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Another billiards game: Pool Rebel

11-12-2008, 09:21 AM
Another billiards game: Pool Rebel

Pool Rebel
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=295864817&mt=8

Looks to be a straight SIM and not an arcade game - no extra fluff here. No reviews on it yet. The description makes it sound awesome, but it would be pretty weird if it made the game sound like crap.

I don't know about the fun element of the game, but it looks like it may be a great way to improve your real game with the ability to control everything about your shot, undo it, and shoot again to see the results with a few tweaks.

I'm looking forward to seeing some vids and reviews. I can't shell out another $8 for a pool game.
11-12-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I like the style of the graphics, and it looks to have all the options you'd need. I just wish it was in 3D. I know, 3D isn't the be-all-and-end-all. But with Pool games, having a first person view rather than an over-head view really adds to the realism. In that sense I hardly think this can be the game to improve your game in real life. Besides, it has a Shoot button at the bottom- does that mean you won't be able to simply drag the cue back then forward to shoot, as in VP and MP? That method is more realistic to me than just setting a strength on a bar then tapping a button to shoot.
I'm sticking with VP I'm afraid.

11-12-2008, 10:38 AM
I've purchased it because I like to play with a top view rather than a 3D one in a small screen.

After starting the game for the first time it was clear that this port, from other mobile phones, did not took advantage or considered the touch screen interface because menus items are glued together. Just check their gallery (it's not iPhone screenshots but the menu is the same style):

http://www.poolrebel.com/Screenshots.aspx

However, tho I think they should have improved the menu I did not have any problems with it (e.g. press another menu item by mistake).

There are some nice options and the Player statistics lead me to the blind purchase...

For me, statistic (even if just winnings/loses) is a major reason to play a sport game again.

As soon as the pool table is presented one thing popped into my mind: why they didn't try to make the table as big as the screen making the balls as big as possible?? The balls look small and an Info button is necessary to revel their numbers from time to time.

The graphics are nice.

So I start playing. To aim took more time that I'd like. After I run the tutorial I've found a way to fine aim using accelerometer. You have to keep pressing a button (G-aim) and move the iPhone. It could be a two state button: press aim then press again to stop g-aim feature.

But what I don't understand is why not let those arrows that are displayed when you're aiming (the gallery shows them) make the fine adjustment and let the other areas for huge steps. It'd be a lot easier, more natural. The arrow is a great idea because it proves that the game could use a bigger table and make the controls to be displayed on demand.

The fact is that you can't simply tap in order to fine adjust... Or you use the g-aim or you hold the cue carefully and move it to aim precisely. Too much work for what could be a lot easier.

However, the aiming set here is compete: power, angle and so on.

Well, then the first shot. You have to press Shoot button which is fine. Since the aiming can be a lot of hold the cue and drag it around the Shoot button is kind of necessary here.

The sound is nice.

After shot the balls move, move and it seems that they are moving too much.

This is a simulation and maybe I'm using too much power and I didn't get the right game timing yet. But I always have a feeling that the balls should not move that much. To make things worse there's no way to accelerate the shoot... You have to wait and sometimes wait, wait until all balls finally stop.

Even tho all those "not so good" points I kind of like the game. I'll keep playing it for sure.

Considering the price and the port feeling that the game delivers I'd rate it 3/5 but with a positive hope that some adjustments can appear to make it a 5/5 game.

Last edited by Carlos-Sz; 11-12-2008 at 10:53 AM.
11-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Thanks very much for your very detailed review of the game there Carlos. Your English is very good.
By the sounds of it, I don't think I'll like this game. It sounds too complicated for it's own good. For example, to aim in Virtual Pool, you just drag left and right to the angle you want- simple. Then there's that Shoot button. In Virtual Pool, you drag the cue back, then forward as it hits the cue ball. The faster your stroke, the harder you hit the ball. Very simple, and a lot more realistic that setting a strength and tapping a button like I said before.
Thanks again Carlos. I know not to bother with this one.
11-12-2008, 10:56 AM
Virtual Pool continues to be the game that sets the bar. Really, I think I'll stick with that as well. Hopefully the developers will put in masse shots and add multiplayer, some animations for the ball dropping into the pockets. VP is still the king apparently.

I was kinda hoping the only had overhead screenshots and that you had a better first person 3d view. Overhead is a nice option, but not the best way to line up shots when playing pool.
11-12-2008, 11:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
Overhead is a nice option, but not the best way to line up shots when playing pool.
Exactly mate. And VP does it so easily and simply. Even the 3D game Midnight Pool doesn't compare for user-friendliness. You have to either hold the cue then drag left or right to rotate, or tap to the left or right of the cue for fine aim. With VP, the faster you drag the faster you rotate, and the further you drag the further it rotates- how can you get simpler than that?

[EDIT] Blimey! over 500 posts now! I must be one sad git!

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 11-12-2008 at 11:42 AM.
11-12-2008, 11:41 AM
VP is like the iPhone itself: The simplicity of the control method, completely belies how powerful it really is.

iPhone 6s Plus: (64GB 'Bro' Gold)
iPad Air: (64GB Wi-Fi Space Grey)
MFi controller: SteelSeries Stratus.
Retina MacBook Pro(2012): (2.7GHz i7 - 16GB RAM - 512GB SSD)
11-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastedyuthe View Post
Thanks very much for your very detailed review of the game there Carlos. Your English is very good.
By the sounds of it, I don't think I'll like this game. It sounds too complicated for it's own good. For example, to aim in Virtual Pool, you just drag left and right to the angle you want- simple. Then there's that Shoot button. In Virtual Pool, you drag the cue back, then forward as it hits the cue ball. The faster your stroke, the harder you hit the ball. Very simple, and a lot more realistic that setting a strength and tapping a button like I said before.
Thanks again Carlos. I know not to bother with this one.
Thank you for your kind words.

By the way, does VP have statistics? Can I play it using a top view?
11-12-2008, 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos-Sz View Post
Thank you for your kind words.

By the way, does VP have statistics? Can I play it using a top view?
You're welcome.

VP does not have statistics as such. You have a rank in the career mode which shows how you compare to the computer opponents, but that's about it. The developer is planning on adding online multiplayer to VP by the end of the year, as well as other additions, so maybe there will be some kind of ranking statistics when that happens.
As for a top down view, there is an Over-head view button when playing the game, but unfortunately for you it is only there so you can see the layout of the balls, rather than actually being able to play in that view. You always take your shot from a first person view by dragging the cue down then up, hitting the cue ball at what ever speed you drag. There is a VERY good video review of VP on YouTube here by iPhoneAppy. There is another YouTube vid here. Sometimes, just because a game is 3D, doesn't mean to say it is harder to control.
11-12-2008, 04:01 PM
The controls on VP are excellent. I still put it up there as on of the top 5 games out on the iphone to date. Great 3d graphics, developers that listen to their audience, a low price, and at the end of the day what really counts is that the ball physics are pretty damn amazing.