★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Devil's Due Pinball - Universal Pinball

10-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Send a message via AIM to smorpheus
Devil's Due Pinball - Universal Pinball

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to let you know my new pinball game, Devil's Due Pinball is now available in the iTunes store. It's an original table designed to be a mashup of the classic early 90s tables(Williams, Bally, etc.) and the videopins Alien Crush and Devil's Crush. We also have a pretty sweet tutorial that walks you through the table features. It's all done in the Unity engine and is full 3D.

It is universal, but we recommend the iPhone 4 and up.

Thom

Trailer:

iPad 2 Gameplay:

Smorpheus Games Laboratory
http://www.smorpheus.com
10-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Alien Crush and Devil's Crush are two of my favorite pinball games. Good sources for inspiration!

Now playing: Squids, Shantae, Mage Gauntlet, Roboto, Emberwind, Cordy, Whale Trail, Aquaria, Super Crossfire, Extraction, Crazy Hedgy, Terra Noctis, Pocket RPG, Glowfish, Steambirds, Edge Ex, SANDWICHES!!, Goat Up, Bean's Quest, Last Rocket, Blobster, Run Jump Kill, Don't Run WAPS, Jap Werewolf, Space Tripper, Sonic CD, Sleepy Jack.

10-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Great to see another pinball game in the app store. Are you guys planning to make more pinball tables too? I hope so.
10-29-2011, 02:06 PM
Bought and tried it on iPad 2 (newest iOS, never jb). It's no fun to play with a framerate that low (even killed all background apps and rebooted). It just doesn't feel smooth. There are lots of pinball games in App Store with fluid and believable orb movement.

Graphically style of 1980's PC pinballs. Too colorful. Too cluttered. Too flat. Rough edges. Display panel covers parts of the table (upper ramps). Physics seems to be right. One table with two flippers. One portrait view. Multiball. Music not my taste. Effects sounds as well and you can't hear the balls rolling. Bug or feature: Delay on flipper controls.

Didn't dive deeper into gameplay (there are two plates with instructions) because I hate it when pinballs don't run smooth.

2/5

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
10-29-2011, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
Bought and tried it on iPad 2 (newest iOS, never jb). It's no fun to play with a framerate that low (even killed all background apps and rebooted). It just doesn't feel smooth. There are lots of pinball games in App Store with fluid and believable orb movement.

2/5
Hi Habakuk,

I understand your concern about the frame rate on iPad 2, it's pretty much locked at 30FPS, but I know a lot of people prefer 60FPS. We'll be working on increasing it further with future updates. I'm currently waiting on Apple to approve the first update, and once that's through I'm going to push one that unlocks the framerate on iPad 2.

Jeffy777, if the game sells reasonably well we do have more tables planned.

10-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by smorpheus View Post
I'm currently waiting on Apple to approve the first update, and once that's through I'm going to push one that unlocks the framerate on iPad 2.
Thx in advance.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
10-29-2011, 03:46 PM
So if it's choppy on iPad 2, is it basically unplayable on iPad 1?
10-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777 View Post
So if it's choppy on iPad 2, is it basically unplayable on iPad 1?
It runs at 30 FPS on the iPad 1 as well. I had locked the frame rate there to preserve battery life, but i can understand 60 FPS is preferable for something fast-paced like Pinball. Take a look at the gameplay video, that's about how it performs on both.

10-29-2011, 06:02 PM
The physics look good in the video. I really like how you have the DMD up on top too.
10-30-2011, 02:41 AM
The table actually looks really good to me, but if the framerate is the same as the video...that's really a shame. Not to say I don't appreciate the dev's attempt to optimize the battery life but it's tough to play pinball well without a lot of frames per second.

Still really tempted to pick this up. The physics seem very sound from what I gather from the video.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms