Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by sizzlakalonji View Post
Fair enough. However, I personally feel exactly the opposite. I can't be bothered keeping track of games from days before. I'm ONLY interested in real-time multiplayer. To me, there's no sense of flow when a game is played in drips here and there.
That's the thing about asynchronous play - you CAN play it in near real time, but you can also play with pauses between turns. It's all up to the players. And as soldat7 said, Ascension does it well - you choose a total limit for how long the game should take. Another option would be choosing how long each turn should be (and if the player takes too long, he misses his turn). Unfortunately, playing synchronous games on iphones/ipods is less practical for many - afterall, the devices are mobile - many people don't spend more than 10 minutes or so on a play session. I think iPads aren't as confined to this norm since people tend to get settled more when using them.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:35 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Good points both. I know asynchronous is very popular, it's just not as important to me as it appears to be for others. That said, for some it appears to be essential for purchase, so it's probably good for devs to include it if they can.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldat7 View Post
I think Ascension handles it in the best manner in that you can define the amount of time a person is limited to for their turn. That gives you the flexibility to find games that you know will end within the hour (or half-hour, in the case of Ascension), or games that have a 3 week timer. I'm certainly not advocating removing real-time from these games!
Apart from the lack of "chess clock", Carcassonne still holds the crown jewel of async MP... (I admit I have played Ascension "too much)
Old 04-05-2012, 05:59 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

OOoh new expansion!
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ed....asp?eidn=3187

Quote:
The free v1.1 update brings:

An exciting Yig campaign
Five new Yig monsters and four Yig adventures
An unlockable investigator (after defeating Azathoth)
Performance improvements and other technical fixes

The in-app purchase offers:

"The Call of Cthulhu," a new campaign
Over 30 new adventures, four new Investigators, and 12 new monsters
New inventory items, a new map, and new game mechanics
An unlockable investigator (after defeating Cthulhu)
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Yeah, just saw that. Downloading now. Unexpected and very cool. I still love coming back to this game here and there. Just wish it was universal.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 AM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

The new campaign in the pacific ocean really rocks! Definitely worth the $2.99! It's freakin' hard!

Only wished it was universal as I double dipped for both version and no way will I spend another 2.99 to unlock the campaign on the other device!
Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarsnik View Post
The new campaign in the pacific ocean really rocks! Definitely worth the $2.99! It's freakin' hard!

Only wished it was universal as I double dipped for both version and no way will I spend another 2.99 to unlock the campaign on the other device!
The first stage is brutal but the second stage is... ouch. Anybody been able to finish it yet? Even getting to the second stage is pretty tough.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:41 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampthing View Post
The first stage is brutal but the second stage is... ouch. Anybody been able to finish it yet? Even getting to the second stage is pretty tough.
I registered just to reply. I am happy to announce I just sealed away Cthulu!

Here was my team:
Psychologist (+1 Sanity)
Doctor (+1 Stamina)
One man army (Complete ordered tasks in any order)
Trust fund (Discard item for yellow and red glyphs)

Gloria is great too, but her power becomes useless in the ocean stage so she is better suited for the other two campaigns.

Here are some tips:
- try to get as many trophies as possible before getting 7 tokens. Normally it's advisable to rush for elder signs, but doom tokens are slower to come out against Cthulu than Azathoth, so it's important to also stock up on items and trophies before moving on.

- glyph locks, of any kind, are deadly. Especially on the ocean phase, take them out as soon as they appear, or else monsters will populate the adventure making it impossible to win.

- you can spend trophies on investigator tokens in the ocean phase. This is preferable to wasting clue tokens on racking up tokens in the final stage of a battle.

- even when the count reaches zero and Riyleh comes up, don't bother trying to win unless you have all three relic stones unlocked. These will allow you to use items in the final battle. Without using those items, the probability of success is near zero.

- Not all relic finds get you stones, some get you other bonuses, some more useful than others. It's really up to dumb luck whether you get a useful relic reward or not. Just keep trying to plug away until you can get all the stones. You can buy a relic for 15 trophies at the boat, but it's also not guaranteed to be a stone.

- the turquoise relic spells, if they can be used in battle, can be used in Riyleh even if you don't have the stones unlocked. It's a good last ditch effort if you are about to lose and have one, but it has little chance of tipping the balance in your favor alone.

Finally: Even though it says that this ancient is 'very hard', the doom counter rises much more slowly. This mode requires significantly less strategy. It's hard because the high stakes adventures pit probability against you, making success with just green glyphs very unlikely. Most missions require items that you get from easier adventures. Buy your time until you are stocked up before trying something difficult. Oh, and get that is iStrap folks have been talking about, because you'll be tempted to throw your iPad out the window.

As for the bonus Investigator?
•••Spoiler:  He is the treasure hunter (unlocks one extra trophy after completing any adventure)
Old 04-20-2012, 01:43 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I really liked the trailer and the artwork
Old 10-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Another update for this great game:

Quote:
New in version 1.2, the new, free Ancient One Tsathoggua has sent forth its formless spawn into the museum, and now the whole town of Arkham is succumbing to the mind-numbing drain of the malevolent deity’s presence. The Trail of Ithaqua is also available with an in-app purchase, allowing especially intrepid investigators the chance to face the malice of the dreaded Ithaqua in the icy plains of Alaska!

- All new free Ancient One (Tsathoggua)
- New Monsters
- New Mythos Effects
- New Monster Log
- All new The Trail of Ithaqua in-app purchase ($2.99)
- Layout Improvements & Bug Fixes
- iPhone 5 compatible

Last edited by kozz84; 10-09-2012 at 11:51 AM..