★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Flight Unlimited - Coming November 30th

11-01-2011, 09:25 PM
Flight Unlimited - Coming November 30th

UPDATE: Flight Unlimited has been released.

New game thread is here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=114861

This "upcoming" thread is now closed.

-------

*Releasing Wednesday, November 30th*

We're hard at work on our new flight simulator, Flight Unlimited.
The game will require an iPhone 4 as the graphics are pretty intense.

Here are the latest screens from Flight Unlimited running on an iPhone 4

If you have any questions, please post them here.
Comments are welcome too.
Thanks!

(we just created a twitter account...if interested in game developments please follow FlightUnlimite1)

Last edited by Red1; 11-30-2011 at 06:28 PM.
11-01-2011, 10:05 PM
Wow! That city pic looks amazing. Hopefully it will look about as good on iphone 4

Follow me on Twitter: @jumpman475
Member of the BETA TESTER ALLIANCE
Need a Writer? I'm your man. Send me a PM.

11-01-2011, 10:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpman475 View Post
Wow! That city pic looks amazing. Hopefully it will look about as good on iphone 4
Unfortunately we have to reduce the polygons by quite a bit. But, it should still look excellent. The city is vast and there are lots of roads and buildings to explore
11-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Cant wait i love flying games also the pic looks amazing!
11-01-2011, 11:04 PM
How bout removing (or just decreasing quality of) shadows?

Anyways, what's the game like? Will it be a direct competitor to X-Plane or is it trying to be more arcadey to grab those less-than-hardcore flight sim fans?

I really do enjoy flying in high density urban environments so high rise buildings with decent amount of space between them would be nice

From the screenshot, the city doesn't seem quite habitable. There are buildings sandwiched between buildings with no access to roads, extremely close proximity between some apartments and overuse of grey and blue.

In short, the city looks amazing but unrealistic. Hope some actually 'planning' had gone through in designing the cityscape.

Oh and random structures and places for daring tricks would be nice (monorail!)
11-01-2011, 11:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
How bout removing (or just decreasing quality of) shadows?

Anyways, what's the game like? Will it be a direct competitor to X-Plane or is it trying to be more arcadey to grab those less-than-hardcore flight sim fans?

I really do enjoy flying in high density urban environments so high rise buildings with decent amount of space between them would be nice

From the screenshot, the city doesn't seem quite habitable. There are buildings sandwiched between buildings with no access to roads, extremely close proximity between some apartments and overuse of grey and blue.

In short, the city looks amazing but unrealistic. Hope some actually 'planning' had gone through in designing the cityscape.

Oh and random structures and places for daring tricks would be nice (monorail!)
We're trying a bunch of different techniques. First, we're reducing the number of buildings. As you can see, there are a lot. This will help reduce the polygon count. We'd rather sacrifice buildings and keep the neat special lighting effects that the iphone has to offer.

It's not necessarily a direct competitor to X-Plane. It is a simulation and not an arcade game by an stretch, but it's more of a pick up and play flight sim. Our goal was to make the city a fun place to explore. In my opinion, that's what's lacking in most flight sims on the market. It gets boring to fly in open areas but it's pretty exciting to navigate a city with large buildings and roads. There are literally 100+ roads to try to land on which is a sight to see.
11-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flightunlimited View Post
We're trying a bunch of different techniques. First, we're reducing the number of buildings. As you can see, there are a lot. This will help reduce the polygon count. We'd rather sacrifice buildings and keep the neat special lighting effects that the iphone has to offer.
Yes there are a lot of buildings and a lot of them at where they're not supposed to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightunlimited View Post
It's not necessarily a direct competitor to X-Plane. It is a simulation and not an arcade game by an stretch, but it's more of a pick up and play flight sim. Our goal was to make the city a fun place to explore. In my opinion, that's what's lacking in most flight sims on the market. It gets boring to fly in open areas but it's pretty exciting to navigate a city with large buildings and roads. There are literally 100+ roads to try to land on which is a sight to see.
AWESOME!!! I don't think I have quite played a flight sim/game that allows me to freely roam in a city!!! (wait, how many cities will there be?) I'd love to randomly take off and explore places!
Plz add some train tracks, large underground tunnels (if possible) and what all sorts of things that allows you to fly under, between or around
11-01-2011, 11:29 PM
I think funny signs/billboards will do a lot for this game. Make the city more lively and conducive to exploration. Know what I mean?

11-01-2011, 11:31 PM
Here's a zoomed out view of the city. You can be assured that every road is big enough to land on

11-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Comparing that to the zoomed in pic, the city seems quite small. Not very "unlimited". Will there be more added on to that city? Or will more cities be added later?