★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: RockYou, Inc.
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 72.2 MB
  • Version: 1.0.2
  • Price: Free
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: Flashback to the neon-soaked 80's and help a teenage Jill Evans find her true calling in Sandlot Games' Cake Mania: To the Max!, now available for the first time on iPad!

Like most high school students in the Bakersfield High Class of 89, Jill doesnt have a clue as to what she wants to do with the rest of her life. As she fretfully contemplates various schools and career paths, her Grandpa presents her with the opportunity of a lifetime design the centerpiece cake for her upcoming prom!

Help Jill juggle the waves of demanding customers that line the Evans Bakery counters as she prepares for the biggest night in her young life! With all-new equipment upgrades, updated shop mechanics, and interior improvements designed to increase performance, youll have Jill on the path to becoming a world-class baker!

goiMot's comments:
Full Game Unlock: $4.99

PC version:
11-03-2011, 02:51 PM
Oh wow! It's great that this is available for iPad! Time Management games work so well on the iPad and Cake Mania To The Max is my favorite time management game ever. Very highly recommended. One of the great thing about this game is the enourmous amount of upgrades. In so many time management games you play a few levels, upgrade a bit, and then start over in a new studio/city/country/whatever. Here you have one bakery, it starts really slowly, and at the end (there are 100 levels!) it is very large, with lots of cake types, extra's, different customers, with different qualities, etc. This does mean that the upgrades really matter and you sometimes may have to rethink your strategy. Tip: save up for the rewiring (go to "interior mode" in the shop, and click on the lamp near the door). If you don't buy that you'll constantly pay for repairs.

There are different player profiles, and there is a relaxed mode as well, so this game is also really great for families with children.

Like many time management games this starts extremely, irritatingly slowly. I don't know how many free levels there are, but I can imagine that they may not give a great impression of how the game is in later levels. It gets very frantic and challenging.

Last edited by lena; 11-03-2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: spoiler tags added

11-04-2011, 04:07 PM
So I played through the free levels. There are 9 free levels, which means that they only show the relatively boring parts of the game. I feel like it becomes a totally different game later on, when you have multiple ovens, frosters and toppings. So, if you see the potential, just know that it does get better.

I did have 2 crashes near the end of a level, and I saw an appstore review that mentions crashes as well
11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
I've had a couple of crashes, but only when restarting a level, so I didn't lose any progress.
11-08-2011, 01:02 PM
I am at level 60 now. It is still a great game, exactly as I remember. But unfortunately this is not the definitive version. I recommend the PC/Mac version over this one, especially since that is only 2.99 now.

The big problem with this version is lack of save files. Like I said, one of the great great things about this game is the large amount of upgrades that really matter. But of course you don't always know in advance what a smart upgrade strategy is. In the PC version you had lots of save files. I saved every 10 and later every 5 levels or so. If I got stuck, I could restart a few levels earlier, and try again. Unfortunately in the iPad version there are no save games at all, so the only way to try again is start all over (you can make a different player profile for this). This is really not fun in a 100 level game that only starts to get good after 20 levels or so. The save games really weren't optional for this game, I have no idea why they left them out in the IOS version.

Other issues that are less important:
- The game crashed on me a few times. It helps a lot if I restart my iPad before playing and it only once crashed in the middle of a level again.
- Fingers are fatter than mouse pointers. It can be somewhat hard to click on the right TV channel. This matters in hectic levels.
- Changing cakes is much easier on a PC with a two button mouse. You just right click instead of left click on the frosting button. Here you swipe the cake to the platform, and then frost. It does work, and I like the motion, but it is slower, you have to pay more attention, and again, that matters in a super fast paced game.

It is still a great game, still the best time management game ever in my opinion, and I still recommend it, I really enjoy it. But if you have the choice, I'd recommend the PC/Mac version with a good two button mouse.
11-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Anyone else finish the game? I wonder if I found it easy this time around because I had played it already and had a better strategy now, or because the game is a lot easier on iPad than it is on a desktop computer. Didn't get all superstars, perhaps I'll play it again and try to superstar all levels, but I'm still a little miffed about the lack of save games. (You can replay individual levels, but you are stuck with the upgrades you bought when you played it the first time).
11-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Lena, there are five available save files. Just tap your name on the main menu and you'll see them there.

Disc Drivin': cthibault
GameCenter = cthibault
PS3= merlinman1
Twitter: cthibault78
11-09-2011, 02:47 PM
Thanks cthibault, but those are the player profiles, that's not what I meant. In the PC version you can save the game after every level to a save slot. That means that if you are completely stuck because you bought the wrong things you can go back a few levels and start over from there, instead of from the beginning.
11-09-2011, 08:58 PM
Oh, I see.

Disc Drivin': cthibault
GameCenter = cthibault
PS3= merlinman1
Twitter: cthibault78