Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-07-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by araczynski View Post
(snip)...
keeping the gamer on a leash is the reason i see this never being on the ipad, since most gamers don't carry around their ipad anywhere. but not having the game on the ipad is another reason i won't bother.
To be fair, if you let things refresh and don't do anything with them right away you get no penalty that I saw at least. So if you choose to play on an iPad for the amount of time it allows you, then leave, when you return you can pick up where you left off. There isn't a leash like some of the farming games where things wither if you don't tend to them the second they grow. So for that part you should be ok.

Assuming you remember the specifics of the quest - which as I have said before, being interrupted played a major part in my losing any kind of immersion I might have gained while playing.

Was popping back in here in hopes that Venan decided to pop back in and address some of these concerns. The notifications bug was the last straw as I said in an earlier post and I just can't be bothered with experiments anymore. There are too many other games in the app store that want an actual purchase. I am sure there is a segment of the population that will embrace this game as this nickel and dime Facebook style is what they are used to. But to the original Venan fans it is a huge disappointment. If they are ok with changing their fan base, who are we to argue.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:26 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

So I've only just now learned the benefits of fighting through the 10 bolt "boss" quests. They drop some quality items! Oy... I'm kinda slow.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
To be fair, if you let things refresh and don't do anything with them right away you get no penalty that I saw at least. So if you choose to play on an iPad for the amount of time it allows you, then leave, when you return you can pick up where you left off. There isn't a leash like some of the farming games where things wither if you don't tend to them the second they grow. So for that part you should be ok.

Assuming you remember the specifics of the quest - which as I have said before, being interrupted played a major part in my losing any kind of immersion I might have gained while playing.
The quest list does an OK job of summarizing it, so I don't have much problem remembering what my quests are about. I only have 5 on the go right now though, so it's not too many to remember ...

Quote:
Was popping back in here in hopes that Venan decided to pop back in and address some of these concerns. The notifications bug was the last straw as I said in an earlier post and I just can't be bothered with experiments anymore. There are too many other games in the app store that want an actual purchase. I am sure there is a segment of the population that will embrace this game as this nickel and dime Facebook style is what they are used to. But to the original Venan fans it is a huge disappointment. If they are ok with changing their fan base, who are we to argue.
I don't seem to have this problem with the notifications. On my iPhone I said no to Push Notifications right from the start and enabled them later, but on my iPad I initially said yes and disabled them afterwards (from in-game only). The iPad doesn't give any more notifications, and turning them off again on the iPhone doesn't pop up any more either. Having said that, in the iPhone/iPad Settings menu, they're all still set to "on". What combination of on/off toggles do you guys have?

Or maybe I'm just slow with these problems, as I'm only getting the connection error one now (having previously said that I don't see it) ... I haven't been able to play at all since early Sunday morning (GMT-5). Just tried right now as I'm writing this and still nada
Old 11-07-2011, 11:44 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
I am sure there is a segment of the population that will embrace this game as this nickel and dime Facebook style is what they are used to. But to the original Venan fans it is a huge disappointment. If they are ok with changing their fan base, who are we to argue.
especially if it gets them more money, and at the end of the day, that's the bottom line in anything.

still, sad to see them go this way.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsten View Post
I don't seem to have this problem with the notifications. On my iPhone I said no to Push Notifications right from the start and enabled them later, but on my iPad I initially said yes and disabled them afterwards (from in-game only). The iPad doesn't give any more notifications, and turning them off again on the iPhone doesn't pop up any more either. Having said that, in the iPhone/iPad Settings menu, they're all still set to "on". What combination of on/off toggles do you guys have?

Or maybe I'm just slow with these problems, as I'm only getting the connection error one now (having previously said that I don't see it) ... I haven't been able to play at all since early Sunday morning (GMT-5). Just tried right now as I'm writing this and still nada
Off.
Old 11-07-2011, 11:53 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 4.x

Let me fiddle with my notification settings and see if I can come up with the bug somehow. In the meantime, I can finally play again! So I'll get some of this testing done and see how it goes.

Regarding the comments about this game compared to previous Venan games ... unfortunately, I haven't played them Maybe I'll give Space Miner a shot later on and see what all this fuss is about.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:18 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Both of my notification settings are on and I've never received a message. I did encounter the Wifi/3G message earlier today, but that's because of my crappy work network.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:03 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 3.x

For people experiencing notification problems, are you turning off notifications in the options menu in the game, or just saying no to push notifications when you ran the app the first time?

They are actually two different things, so if you turn off notifications in the options menu and are still getting bugged, let us know. We actually haven't sent any push messages at all, so anything you are seeing is controlled by that option in-game.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

I enjoyed the original Space Miner games, but reading this thread is disturbing. I didn't like reading people spending hundreds of dollars on Smurfs and Farmville-style games, but I certainly am getting worried about the future of the app-store when it seems more and more genres are going the freemium way.

I know the $.99 game theory just is leading to the demise of a lot of developers because they just don't make enough. And the IAP route is okay for bonuses or "shortcuts" to get further in the game even in paid games. But freemium games that require purchase after purchase after purchase of IAP to continue to play scare the crap out of me.

I personally would MUCH rather pay $5 or even $10 - whatever I felt was the right price for a quality gaming experience than be nickled and dimed. If I go into a game knowing that there may be no limit to how much it will cost to finish the game, then I'm passing. Don't even want to download the freemium to try it out. And honestly, if this is the route that iOS gaming goes, I'll be doing a lot less iOS gaming.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:44 PM
iPad Air, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venan View Post
For people experiencing notification problems, are you turning off notifications in the options menu in the game, or just saying no to push notifications when you ran the app the first time?
All I should have to do is say no to push notifications when starting the app. I've got 22GB of games on my iPhone, and 44GB of games on my iPad, and I've never had this problem before, I've never had to do anything other than say no to push notifications when starting the app.