Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflippy View Post
Want it. When is the US launch?
Again, they said if all goes well, in a couple of weeks.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:46 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

Would much prefer a pay-for stand-alone version that doesn't require a connection or constant IAP to keep playing.
Would be willing to pay $5 for that.
That way you get paid and don't have to worry about me adding to your continued server operating costs.

Eventually any iOS game tied to an company-owned online server system with IAP is going to die in 1-3 years due to diminishing returns. As soon as the costs to keep such an online system up and running become greater than than what people are paying for in terms of IAP then the company will abandon it. It's just basic business 101.

I kind of refuse to buy into that business method. Shame too, for Space Miner remains on my iOS devices and still gets played.
Venan has potential but going the IAP route might be wrong for this game.
At least offer something for those who want to opt out of IAP, maybe by taking away any online components and making a stand-alone version ala Puzzle Quest? It kind of has a Puzzle-Questy feel to it.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:36 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by reec0X View Post
It would be difficult for those who doesn't have a wifi...hope later it would some add into offline mode...if possible.

The first information was wrong, you don't need wifi.
I already tested this with 3G and even the normal data stream of my carrier - and both options work great. So, as long as you have a connection to the internet, you're fine. I guess the game just sends data packages now and then - when you level up, finish a mission or buy something, for example.
Since you are on an iPhone 4, no problems here for you. Just people with an iPod touch can only play when in vicinity of a wifi source, I guess that's what New England Gamer meant.

The game itself is a very funny mixture between Cozy Quest, a gamebook adventure and Diablo or single player World of Warcraft (regarding all the normal, magical and legendary items and stuff).

The UI is just great, most things are self-explaining and the mood is well done. I am already starting to love this. You have so many options and things to do, it won't get boring fast. Turn-Based combat with charging times is nicely done and thrilling and the graphics + sounds shine.
This can get quite addicting, I think.
The game has instant loading times and even the data package sending works very quickly, sometimes a few seconds at startup, but the most time in game you'll wont notice it.
There are lots of skills, statistics about your character and more stuff - just as the RPG fans will like it.
There are two currencies: Gold Shields and silver pieces. You gt enough of both at the first levels of the game, so I had no need to buy something per IAP. Dunno how it is later.

Btw.: I am playing this in Germany and everything runs very fast and without problems.

Fans of gamebook adventures, browser-based RPGs should check it out.

@ 1nonya1: one note about IAPs: they work great, because they bring a small constant flow of money instead of an one-time heap of bucks. As long as the game's good, the revenues are much higher. Just look at Pocket Frogs and Tiny Tower. Of course devs will choose this when it fits the game. And they'll make more money even if a lot of people boycott this business method.
Just look into the AppStore at Top Grossing. In the German AppStore for example, there are more games with IAP method than games you pay for once in this category. For further explanations, please follow this link:
http://www.gamesbrief.com/2011/07/io...ts-first-year/
and this link:
http://www.gamesbrief.com/2009/04/zy...virtual-goods/

Just a little made-up mathematical example: with a good game, that has been downloaded - let's say, 600.00 times and will be supported by just 5% of the gamers with money - it can survive easily (given the fact that these gamers pay around 5 bucks every three months, which is very likely. Now we are talking here about $50.000 per month of revenues.). Selling it once at 5 bucks to you would bring much less... because they already get these 5 bucks from some people every few months.
Always remember: were talking here about gaming business and not some overly generous Santa Claus-devs...

(Edit) just to clarify things: I don't defend IAPs (normally I don't like and play them then it comes to consumables), I only wrote this to show, why more and more devs start to rely on Freemium/IAPs with consumables instead of making games with one-time purchases.

Last edited by Vovin; 11-04-2011 at 06:41 AM..
Old 11-04-2011, 03:10 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

ZOMG! Game says I've just got bonked by a goblin!

Well, still no need for IAP, seems optional for now, to speed things up. But you can do quests again and grind money, if you like.

Gameworld seems really huge, btw.!

I also just noticed that there are lots of archievements - and by solving them, you also earn the precious Gold Shields!

Last edited by Vovin; 11-04-2011 at 05:15 AM..
Old 11-04-2011, 04:57 AM

This free game I am playing by choice makes me so angry!!
Old 11-04-2011, 05:09 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Now for something negative:

annoying for me is the waiting time until you have enough energy to go on quests again and first & foremost, the ability to heal and get rid of negative effects (all this costs energy, which replenishes only slowly). That's an annoyance, but normal in freemium games, afaik.

Having to wait approx. 4 minutes for one energy unit (or buying them) is a bad choice. Many people could get repelled by that. I would suggest to put the IAPs more on special equipment or in-game money you can buy.
Or they could make something like O&C, buy play-time. Like 1-2 bucks a month.

Last edited by Vovin; 11-04-2011 at 05:21 AM..
Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

I'm really liking this so far. The only thing that irks me somewhat is the lack of Game Center. Hero Points are no use if nobody can see them!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:19 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKR View Post
I'm really liking this so far. The only thing that irks me somewhat is the lack of Game Center. Hero Points are no use if nobody can see them!
No Gamecenter?
I thought it was a given.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Now for something negative:

annoying for me is the waiting time until you have enough energy to go on quests again and first & foremost, the ability to heal and get rid of negative effects (all this costs energy, which replenishes only slowly). That's an annoyance, but normal in freemium games, afaik.

Having to wait approx. 4 minutes for one energy unit (or buying them) is a bad choice. Many people could get repelled by that. I would suggest to put the IAPs more on special equipment or in-game money you can buy.
Or they could make something like O&C, buy play-time. Like 1-2 bucks a month.
I'm having very similar experiences as Vovin. The UI is great, and this is definitely a localized English game.

More annoyances I can add to the list:
- not being able to see which status effects (and their lengths) you've placed on an enemy, although you CAN see which effects they put on you.
- All of your activities cost Energy, which is annoying enough, but gets worse when they start handing you multiple-dungeon quests.
- Not being able to specify targets in multiple-monster encounters

I haven't seen much of the multiplayer content yet, although I can say that achievements and leaderboards are only local.
Hero code: 837 576 959

Last edited by strivemind; 11-04-2011 at 06:26 AM..
Old 11-04-2011, 06:34 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
I'm having very similar experiences as Vovin. The UI is great, and this is definitely a localized English game.

More annoyances I can add to the list:
- not being able to see which status effects (and their lengths) you've placed on an enemy, although you CAN see which effects they put on you.
- All of your activities cost Energy, which is annoying enough, but gets worse when they start handing you multiple-dungeon quests.
- Not being able to specify targets in multiple-monster encounters

I haven't seen much of the multiplayer content yet, although I can say that achievements and leaderboards are only local.
Hero code: 837 576 959

Oh, yeah, my "HERRO"-code is: 731 955 550

Added Strivemind and got a gold Shield for that.

And Strive is right... the game is funny, but as soon as it comes to multiple dungeon quests, the waiting times are a bit too long.

Hey Strive, I am just wondering... when you give the monsters status effects, the symbols appear in the upper right corner of the monster card. I can see them always. I also can see how long the effect is, because the icon is working like a counter.

Last edited by Vovin; 11-04-2011 at 06:42 AM..