★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Command the last of the Libra class carriers and avenge the fall of your home world in this space real time strategy game.

Build a variety of crafts, conquer planets and space stations and travel the universe. You will face a single player campaign filled with exciting battles depicted with unique art style. Upgrade your ships between missions and combine them into unstoppable fleets.

Survival of your race depends on your actions Commander!

Blue Libra is available for MacOS, iPhone and iPad.

==============

Retina support: To turn retina support on or off go to options, change the retina's settings and restart the game. (If battle screen is too small you can turn retina support OFF and use zooming feature instead)

syntheticvoid's comments:

Couldn't find a thread for the iPod version of this one... so far I'm only 4 levels in, but it seems like a pretty deep(ish) type of Galcon game, though someone in the iPad thread brought up Sins Of A Solar Empire, and compared it more closely to that. I can't do the same because I've never heard of SOASE... But you have your main fleet ship produce fighters, bombers, destroyers, and more different kinds of ships, then try and take over space stations, planets, and enemy bases by moving those produced ships around the levels. You're only aloud a certain amount of ships, and that number goes up with each station or planet you occupy. There's quite a bit of strategy involved, and there's also a shop where you can upgrade your main Fleet ship, how many ships you can have total, and loads more...

For a buck? VERY good buy!

Youtube link | Pop Up
11-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by syntheticvoid View Post
...but it seems like a pretty deep(ish) type of Galcon game, though someone in the iPad thread brought up Sins Of A Solar Empire, and compared it more closely to that. I can't do the same because I've never heard of SOASE...
.................................................. .....................................

Best modern 4X RTS ever. Read that is enough to secure a purchase from me.

Words cannot fully convey my excitement in hearing about a SoASE esque game on iPhone...

11-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Sounds cool. I was reading one of the iTunes reviews saying that the controls were a difficult because of the ships having to be small. Looking at the screenshots it was hard for me to tell.

Has that presented an issue with you, void?
11-04-2011, 03:54 PM
Looks like Galcon with a campaign tacked onto it.

Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
11-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Oh god most intuitive controls I've experienced for iOS RTS games.

All produced ships automatically form fleets. Fleet movement are controlled by drawing lines which automatically pans the screen. It can be tricky to get used to at first, but once you learn to draw smoothly and steadily, the auto screen panning is a very helpful feature.

Connecting/stopping your line on a selectable target, such as planet, enemy fleet or your own fleet automatically establishes a straight line with the target. This allows your fleet to dash straight towards their target. In events when there's an obstacle (asteroid field which slows movement speed), it's best to draw a path around the obstacle and stop short of any targets.

To separate fleets, all ya need to do is perform a Fruit Ninja slice on 'em! This halves the fleet sliced into two groups with units split (as) evenly (as possible) between them. Very intuitive and functional, if you ask me.
Merging fleets is as simple as moving them near each other, or connecting a line with the fleet in question..

One other thing: fleets ALWAYS have higher priority than your mothership so fleets near it will be selected automatically. To select the mothership with fleets near it, hold your finger on the region until an indicator comes up telling you the mothership is selected. Then move it as usual. Very smart and useful.

However, there are some tactical considerations that are lost with such a control scheme. You can't really separate the fighters from bombers from destroyers or whatever you may, when all of them have different strengths and weaknesses. This will reduce most your fleets into mere number lumps that have little tactical value besides being big or small.

And that's your controls in one post!

Last edited by gunxsword; 11-04-2011 at 04:33 PM.
11-04-2011, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
Looks like Galcon with a campaign tacked onto it.
And upgrades, fleet management and ship production
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Indeed, a lot of original ideas here, and some work very well.

I'm finding parts of the UI to be pretty annoying though. This was clearly designed for iPad, and even some of the menu and upgrade screens need to be panned.

Also, path drawing is finicky. It's hard to get a real sense of direction to your target, and the screen sort of jumps ahead as it pans in the direction you're drawing in. Makes it tough to target things far away.

Social Games: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle, PAD
GameCenter: StriveMind
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by strivemind View Post
I'm finding parts of the UI to be pretty annoying though. This was clearly designed for iPad, and even some of the menu and upgrade screens need to be panned.

Also, path drawing is finicky. It's hard to get a real sense of direction to your target, and the screen sort of jumps ahead as it pans in the direction you're drawing in. Makes it tough to target things far away.
Some menus? The only one I found to require panning is the upgrade screen, which includes like 7 upgrades per category. Anyhow, since when did upgrade screens not require panning? The more panning the better I'd say! As there would be more upgrades to offer!

I'd beg to differ. Just draw at a slower speed? Or, just scribble around until you fine your target and lock onto it. The line would change into a straight one regardless. The panning speed can be adjusted in options menu, and it applies to panning while drawing.
11-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Game Impressions

Blue Libra HD - Tutorial - HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2):

Blue Libra HD - First Mission Walkthrough - HD Gameplay Trailer (iPad 2):

Last edited by Sanuku; 11-05-2011 at 07:37 PM. Reason: HD Gameplay Trailer added.
11-04-2011, 04:51 PM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
Yeah, I haven't had any problems with line drawing, or selecting ships... the ships are small, but you select them in groups, and only need to start dragging on the circle that encompasses the group.

This is a great game... especially for a buck! Definitely my favorite out of this weeks releases.

:;:2016 GOTY:;: Imbroglio