★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Platformer Favorites:

11-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Platformer Favorites:

I'm a pretty big platformer fan and just recently finished off Soosiz, which definitely has to be one of the most Mario-like games around. Outside world of goo, it may be the only true 5-star iPad game I've played through.

Anyway, I've also played just a little bit of Giana sisters (awkward controls) and Frogatto. Have looked a little at Rolando and Bounce on as well. I'm semi-excited about Emberwind but I've read that there are a good bit of crashing issues that need to be resolved.

Anybody here have any other recommendations that maybe I've missed?
11-07-2011, 08:23 AM
League of Evil
Pizza Boy
Mos Speedrun
Meganoid
Stardash
Run Kitty Run
Robot Wants Kitty
Commander Pixman

There are more but those are the unfinished I have.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3

11-08-2011, 06:25 AM
I've got a few !

In my 'best platform' folder i have...

Super World Adventures
Pizza Boy
Elemental Rage
Pix'n Rush
Platform Hell!
Bean's Quest
Mos Speedrun
League of Evil
Storm in a teacup - (Love this game)
Commander Pixman (Another classic)
Meganoid
Stardash

Also have Emberwind but isnt that the one with crazy controls in the middle at the sides not at the bottom ? Thats totally put me off it i must admit

Run Kitty Run is very good as is Arcade Jumper. Cordy and Roboto another two good uns as is Blib Blob
11-08-2011, 08:34 AM
There's also Bring Me Sandwiches (great!) and NyxQuest (haven't played yet but heard good things).
11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Oh yeah Cordy and Storm in a teacup are awesome too! And eBoo kinda, tho SiT is better.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Here's my favorites:

Miss Claire Garden (Defintely one if the best platformers out there)
Chocorun (a really good and challenging Super Meat Boy-like)
Mod Speedrun
League of Evil
Commander Pixman
Pizza Boy
They Need To Be Fed
BlooKid
Stardash
Meganoid (another one of the best, IMO)
1-bit ninja (there were some complaints about this one, but I felt it was good, just depends on you)
Super World Adventures
Adventures of Timmy Run Kitty Run, (I've heard this one is good, but haven't been able to play it yet due to a bug that makes it crash)

And... I hope I didn't forget anything! Hope that helps!

Currently Enjoying: BUG HEROES 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRUU View Post
Ninny speaks the truth.
11-08-2011, 01:00 PM
What are some of the better NON-RETRO ones?

Don't get me wrong, the retro platformers are good, but they all seem to be the same to me, and games like Roboto and NyxQuest are worlds more fun to play and, obviously, to look at.

It seems like %80 of the platformers that are out there, and being developed, all have the retro theme. I am just not a big fan of them.
11-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Why ? Its all about the gameplay, a game might have stunning graphics and not 'retro looking' but the gameplays poor.

Mario Land has stood the test of time as its such a playable game regardless of 'older' graphics on the SNES or even mono Gameboy.

Storm in a teacup then ? That has very nice graphics but combines that with great gameplay

But theyre platform games, dont think you need stunning graphics for these
11-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabdog View Post
What are some of the better NON-RETRO ones?
Bring Me Sandwiches. And I agree that Storm in a Teacup is very good, though it is VERY floaty and not everybody likes that. There is a lite version though, so you can check for yourself.
11-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Max & the Magic Marker is not a pure platformer, but still a nice mix of it with "Crayon Physics". A quality & polished release that originally comes from Nintendo's WiiWare store.

Robot Wants Kitty looks kind of plain but hides a stimulating experience behind its meek looks.

Archibald's Adventure is sort of similar to RWK in its level objectives, but offer more variety in yours actions and tasks. There's a strong puzzle element to the level layouts which must be figured out in the correct order.

EDIT: Bring Me Sandwiches was a nice surprise for me. I was initially skeptic and so waited until most "pro" reviews came out before making up my mind. I'm glad I went for it, even though there's still no native iPad version.

Last edited by Ghouls'R'us; 11-08-2011 at 02:21 PM.