★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Prerequisites For in an App/Game (DEVS MUST READ!)

11-12-2008, 12:44 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
Prerequisites For in an App/Game (DEVS MUST READ!)

1) The icon:
- keep it simple and somehow depict your game. A lot of developers use funky designs and it just is silly
- the iphone icon and the store icon must be the same. some icons viewed through itunes arent exactly what goes to the iphone. usually the title of the game comes off as you port the game to the phone. why put the title at all?

2) The name length
- for christ's sake... name your game to the limit of the character text on the phone. it just annoys the fark out of me seeing "Fromthe...Allergy". you developed a game but cant adhere to the BASIC rules? come on!

Thanks devs!

Last edited by wastedyuthe; 02-17-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: changed wording
11-12-2008, 01:11 PM
an interesting topic. as someone who downloads and plays a lot of games, here's my annoyances:

- inadequate documentation. Sometimes I just want to jump right into a game, but if I want to read instructions or find out what to do, I want instructions in the game itself. I do not want to go to a website or go back to the App Store to read the description. if I can't figure it out, I sometimes just give up.

- Too easy/boring. We don't review all comers. I tend to review a) high profile games b) games I like. I'll play games that seem ok, but are far too easy for far too long. if I get bored while playing it the first time, it's unlikely I'll want to play it again or want to spend any time reviewing it.

11-12-2008, 01:29 PM
Send a message via AIM to superbad
actually make that three:

3) please do JUSTICE to your app in anyway possible. show a lot of screenshots or a youtube demo (highly recommended!)
11-12-2008, 01:39 PM
Cheap Icon = Cheap Game...... IMHO
11-12-2008, 01:41 PM
Ya great point about the youtube demo video's! This has actually sealed a lot of my purchases!
11-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Here are a few options that I would like to see in apps (they could be turned on or off by the user):

1) the ability to show the time (maybe in a small bar at the top of the app that can be turned on or off) - it's annoying to have to turn off a game to check the time;

2) the ability to save state if the phone rings or if you turn off the app - or if the phone crashes;

3) the ability to play your own music with the app (and for those with sound effects, the ability to turn of music and sound effects separately, so that you can use the game's sound effects with your music if you choose to do so);

4) in those apps in which this is possible, the ability to use it in portrait or landscape mode (and an option as to whether the app should change the mode manually or using the accelerometer); and

5) the ability to send the files containing your user configurations and/or high scores to yourself via e-mail or to save the files containing this information onto your iPhone or your computer via iTunes or directly onto your computer via disk mode (via Wi-Fi or USB). It should be possible to do this for each individual app. I know that these files can be backed up onto iTunes, but I would rather be able to decide which apps get backed up. Of course, then we would need to have a way in which to get these files back onto the iPhone via a restore method. This way, if I delete an app from the phone and then put it back on at a later time, I can just restore the configurations and/or high scores back onto the phone!

I refer to the iPhone, but most of this applies to the iPod touch as well, of course.
11-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Vandy, I Agree about the Backing up to iTunes for each app, I am constantly cleaning my phones home screens, And everytime i do this i lose all my save data ... The time thing isn't a big deal to me though...
the option would be nice

Last edited by 1337brian; 11-12-2008 at 02:14 PM.
11-12-2008, 02:18 PM
I like this thread! If anyone else is thinking anything developers are listening!
11-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I posted this on my blog about a month ago:

"1. If Iím not able to resume my game after getting a call or textÖ DONíT PUT THAT SHIT IN THE APPSTORE! Why should I pay for a game that I have to start over every time I have to deal with the real world??

2. Please beta test your appsÖ Just go to any forum and look for people that seem reputable and ask if they will try your game or app out. I love beta testing and am willing to help however I can. Bug filled apps are not ok.

3. Donít bitch about the appstore economy and how you canít sell your app for 5 dollars. Make a game/app with as high a quality as you possibly can and charge whatever you please. If the quality is there then the price wonít matter (just look at BeeJive)

4. Let me see my battery life or GTFO! This goes doubly when you are talking about games that involve the accelerometer or gps, they burn a lot or power and I need to be aware of my battery life. I canít risk burning through my battery if I am going to be out all day

5. Let me choose how I want to hold my device!
In the counter clockwise landscape view:
- the volume button is facing down
- the volume button is flipped. pressing it left makes volume go up, pressing right makes it go down
- the speaker is covered by my right hand
- the headphone jack is covered by my left hand

In the clockwise landscape view:
- the volume button is on top of the device easily in reach
- the volume button is orientated correctly. pressing it left makes the volume go down, pressing right makes it go up
- the speaker is above my hand and uncovered
- the headphone jack is uncovered incase I want to play with my headphones in.

I prefer clockwise and it annoys me to no end that devs are refusing to put in the work to allow me to play their game COMFORTABLY"
11-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandy1997 View Post
2) the ability to save state if the phone rings or if you turn off the app - or if the phone crashes;

3) the ability to play your own music with the app (and for those with sound effects, the ability to turn of music and sound effects separately, so that you can use the game's sound effects with your music if you choose to do so)
For me, these 2 are by far the most important.
In fact, I think Apple should make it mandatory that your game state is saved upon exiting/phone call. I can see no reason why this is not included in every single app.

Also very much agree with the music and sound affects bit.
I'm not sure if most people are aware but a lot of the times, you can quickly double-tap the home button which lets you continue your music you were playing when the app launched, but I'm assuming this must be "allowed" by the app.

Anyways, great thread! Hopefully some devs will take note