★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
01-13-2013, 10:14 PM
New game update

I have just updated the Junk Jack Sequel thread in upcoming games, I'll leave here the link since I think discussing the new game on the other thread is more appropriate:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...45#post2628145

Check it out
01-13-2013, 10:54 PM
Wondering if this game is going to get widescreen support(for iPhone 5). Never bought it when I had my older devices, but this caught my eye recently after purchasing an iPhone 5.

01-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Where's the Christmas tree?
01-14-2013, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfalfa View Post
Wondering if this game is going to get widescreen support(for iPhone 5). Never bought it when I had my older devices, but this caught my eye recently after purchasing an iPhone 5.
Unfortunately this version won't because in order to do so it would require dropping support of older devices which the devs don't wanna do. However the upcoming Junk Jack 2 will support all newer devices

Member of the Beta Tester Alliance
Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/Nicodemus82
01-14-2013, 08:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicodemus82 View Post
Unfortunately this version won't because in order to do so it would require dropping support of older devices which the devs don't wanna do. However the upcoming Junk Jack 2 will support all newer devices
I think the devs spend too much time listening to the "dinosaurs" on the official forums (many were very vocal in their opposition to making a 'JJ2' in the way the devs want if it meant dropping support for 2G touches and similar spec iPhones). The players on there seem very skewed toward an absolutely non-representative sample of iOS gamers. This amount of coddling for such an insignificant player base at the cost of hurting impressions with the much larger player base makes no sense. This is only about losing support for the pre-4G touch, pre-3GS crowd, this is a group of players who haven't updated their device in 3 or more years (with many complaining at the idea of spending another $2.99 on the sequel anyhow). This at the same time many other devs are dropping support for the 4G touch, technically a current device. It just makes no sense to intentionally hamstring their product to keep the sort of player with an obvious allergy to spending money pleased.

Game Center : "Chip H.". Grand Poobah of Troop "Touch Arcade" in Battle Camp (referral code: hns1w1 )
01-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Hannum View Post
I think the devs spend too much time listening to the "dinosaurs" on the official forums (many were very vocal in their opposition to making a 'JJ2' in the way the devs want if it meant dropping support for 2G touches and similar spec iPhones). The players on there seem very skewed toward an absolutely non-representative sample of iOS gamers. This amount of coddling for such an insignificant player base at the cost of hurting impressions with the much larger player base makes no sense. This is only about losing support for the pre-4G touch, pre-3GS crowd, this is a group of players who haven't updated their device in 3 or more years (with many complaining at the idea of spending another $2.99 on the sequel anyhow). This at the same time many other devs are dropping support for the 4G touch, technically a current device. It just makes no sense to intentionally hamstring their product to keep the sort of player with an obvious allergy to spending money pleased.
I think the developer knows 4g is still active and knows more users have them then the 5th gen so they know where the money is gonna be. On the note of upgrading why spend 300 bucks when next year another product is gonna be out?
01-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Ah I see. Thank you both very much. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a JJ2 then 8). Is there any forecast as to when the release might be?
01-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bramblett05 View Post
I think the developer knows 4g is still active and knows more users have them then the 5th gen so they know where the money is gonna be. On the note of upgrading why spend 300 bucks when next year another product is gonna be out?
Updating the game wouldn't drop support for 4G users, though. I don't think even 3rd gen iPod Touches are dropped due to just rebuilding in the new XCode. So if the game already runs on that, it'll continue to run.

And on the note of upgrading, skipping one or two years isn't generally a problem, but holding on to a 1st or second gen iPod Touch and expecting it to still run new releases would be ridiculous.

That's the point he was trying to make.

I never played Junk Jack, though. Maybe when 2 is released I'll pick it up.
01-15-2013, 04:37 AM
Really itching to play this but news of a sequel made it impossible for me to justify buying this version. It really irks me when apps don't have 5th gen display support. The lack of a release date is driving me crazy, is there even an estimate for the month we can expect Junk Jack 2?
01-19-2013, 08:55 PM
After recommendations from The Blockheads thread (another customer disappointed by the need to include an artificial gameplay device to drive IAP), this would appear to be a much better use of 1.99 for a fully featured Minecraft derivative crafting game with NO artificial restrictions to drive IAP.

Steep-learning curve? Great! Especially such a feature rich game.

I must resist for a few days, as I have a couple of items on my task list to finish, not to mention, still engrossed by Mass Effect.