Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-07-2012, 11:28 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen)

OK, I tried the lite version earlier today for about 15 minutes...

HOLY MOLY. This game is brilliant. Wow.

If I buy, then I would just buy the full version. But I'm still miffed about the price doubling just when I was noticing this game.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:30 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebius View Post
If you mean Raven's Dusk, it's already out. =)
Oh, nono i meant ravens rise.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by eAdvisory View Post
Oh, nono i meant ravens rise.
Ah! We're aiming to release it by the end of the year. =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
OK, I tried the lite version earlier today for about 15 minutes...

HOLY MOLY. This game is brilliant. Wow.

If I buy, then I would just buy the full version. But I'm still miffed about the price doubling just when I was noticing this game.
Glad you like it. =)
Old 11-08-2012, 03:52 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.x

Default Long time lurker, first time poster. Q's and Raven's Dusk feedback

Hey devs-- Thank you! Ravenmark is the only game that has not left my iPhone for a whole year. I remember last November struggling against those dang Sunsouls on the docks, way before that one got nerfed. Oh the memories :P.
I am sure that this project has probably felt like a drag on your time and resources at times and just wanted to encourage you guys to stay the course. You have done a tremendous job with this game. It is more rewarding than any other game I have played on the iOS, and has served as a fun way to escape from stress for a few minutes (or sometimes more than a few) as I finish grad school.

I think I saw Ian recently request feedback from folks who had finished the Raven's Dusk campaign-- I will contribute my two cents while trying to avoid spoilers.

I think the main strength of this campaign is that it provides some pretty challenging missions for even veteran players. I had played all the prior campaigns quite a bit but still found that I had to attempt some missions a number of times. I also appreciated the variation between each chapter, I noticed each of these variations at least:
--two large forces meet on a battlefield
--player commands an inferior force that has to make it from point A to point B to escape
--player commands an inferior force that has to hold out to survive
--player commands a small group that must survive until another player-controlled force can rescue it
Mixing it up like this really helped to give each mission a unique feel to set it apart from the others.

My suggestion list is minor: There was one scene where it appeared that I might have the chance to control an individual rather than a set of elements, at a moment when someone is challenged to individual combat-- I was temporarily excited by this change of pace, but my hopes were quickly dashed (and one of my favorite characters was killed, RIP ) I thought this would have offered a unique scenario that would have focused more on the management of a number of skills rather than larger battlefield tactics. Just food for thought for future scenarios!
I loved the large number of unique new units in Deepwood Dragoons. In Raven's Dusk there were a bunch of units that felt a bit like slightly upgraded re-skins of units that already exist, but not as many that felt genuinely different. There were plenty of new unique leaders, and I did like the Crowseers a lot, as much for their flavor as their abilities.

Everything you have shared about the design of multiplayer is incredibly exciting to me. I have no doubt you guys will give it as much great support as you have the single player campaign. If I have one request, it is that the play balance allows for very different play styles to be viable.

I know you have stated several times that those of us who purchased Deepwood Dragoons would be gifted with a unique 'battalion.' Just to clarify, in this context you are using 'battalion' to mean an element or unit type, correct?

One last question, and I realize you may not be able to answer at this point...
Some of the dialogue towards the end of Raven's Dusk has led me to wonder if you guys are considering a potential sequel??! I promise I will buy and recommend whatever you guys release. You have proven that whatever it is, you will put the time and work into it to make sure it is polished and worth playing.

Lastly-- I would love to hear how many people with WHS accounts have collected every third medal! It might motivate me to tackle those last few holdouts so I can join the club.

Thanks guys! --JLank

Last edited by JLank; 11-08-2012 at 04:55 PM..
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLank View Post
Hey devs-- Thank you! Ravenmark is the only game that has not left my iPhone for a whole year. I remember last November struggling against those dang Sunsouls on the docks, way before that one got nerfed. Oh the memories :P.
I am sure that this project has probably felt like a drag on your time and resources at times and just wanted to encourage you guys to stay the course. You have done a tremendous job with this game. It is more rewarding than any other game I have played on the iOS, and has served as a fun way to escape from stress for a few minutes (or sometimes more than a few) as I finish grad school.

I think I saw Ian recently request feedback from folks who had finished the Raven's Dusk campaign-- I will contribute my two cents while trying to avoid spoilers.

I think the main strength of this campaign is that it provides some pretty challenging missions for even veteran players. I had played all the prior campaigns quite a bit but still found that I had to attempt some missions a number of times. I also appreciated the variation between each chapter, I noticed each of these variations at least:
--player commands an inferior force that has to make it from point A to point B to escape
--player commands a small group that must survive until another player-controlled force can rescue it
Mixing it up like this really helped to give each mission a unique feel to set it apart from the others.

My suggestion list is minor: There was one scene where it appeared that I might have the chance to control an individual rather than a set of elements, at a moment when someone is challenged to individual combat-- I was temporarily excited by this change of pace, but my hopes were quickly dashed (and one of my favorite characters was killed, RIP ) I thought this would have offered a unique scenario that would have focused more on the management of a number of skills rather than larger battlefield tactics. Just food for thought for future scenarios!
I loved the large number of unique new units in Deepwood Dragoons. In Raven's Dusk there were a bunch of units that felt a bit like slightly upgraded re-skins of units that already exist, but not as many that felt genuinely different. There were plenty of new unique leaders, and I did like the Crowseers a lot, as much for their flavor as their abilities.

Everything you have shared about the design of multiplayer is incredibly exciting to me. I have no doubt you guys will give it as much great support as you have the single player campaign. If I have one request, it is that the play balance allows for very different play styles to be viable.

I know you have stated several times that those of us who purchased Deepwood Dragoons would be gifted with a unique 'battalion.' Just to clarify, in this context you are using 'battalion' to mean an element or unit type, correct?

Some of the dialogue towards the end of Raven's Dusk has led me to wonder if you guys are considering a potential sequel??! I promise I will buy and recommend whatever you guys release. You have proven that whatever it is, you will put the time and work into it to make sure it is polished and worth playing.

Lastly-- I would love to hear how many people with WHS accounts have collected every third medal! It might motivate me to tackle those last few holdouts so I can join the club.

Thanks guys! --JLank
Gonna bullet point so I can keep track of my thoughts! =X

1) Cheers! We're really glad that Ravenmark has been giving you so much enjoyment! <cough> Sunsouls aside.

2) Lovely feedback. Yeah, we really wanted to push the boundaries for the missions. We have even grander ideas for the last campaign! There's a certain beach assault map I think you'll enjoy.

3) We were actually considering if we wanna make a tactical skirmish version of Ravenmark, where you command individuals instead of Elements.. but we'll only explore that after multiplayer. If we're still around. Lol.

4) Yeah, we didn't have much room to manoeuvre with new Elements since we don't have an in-house animator. The Crowseers were quite a feat already. We're hoping to find someone new so we can do more unique Elements!

5) Play balance is very important to us, that's why we came up with the Brigade system. A Brigade is a preset group of Elements backed with a story to why they exist. If all goes as planned, all Brigades should be -kinda- balanced.

6) It's a Brigade with a unique blend of Elements that ties them to the Deepwood Dragoons campaign.

7) Well, there's one more Campaign for the Ravenmark.. and multiplayer happens five years after
Ravenmark. So you might see some stuff happening there! =D

8) So far.. only ONE person has all 126 medals!
Old 11-09-2012, 11:06 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:

Thanks guys! --JLank
Hey grad school buddy. What program/field are you in?

I think I think you made an interesting suggestion about the gameplay scale. Ravenmark really excels, and is unique, because it can portray battles between large formations of troops. I think the system is ill suited for combat between very few elements. There are plenty of turn based games where you control individuals. Pretty much every RPG that exists is like that. We don't need more.

That said, it might be interesting to have an elite strike-force type mission where you have to accomplish something very specific while being attacked by a much larger force. Although there area already several missions a bit like this in the earlier campaigns.

I like the idea of a new set of campaigns after this current story arc is over. I think the background behind the Ard-ru is very cool and I would like to see it explored more deeply. Multiplayer should defiantly come first though.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:58 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

Quote:
Gonna bullet point so I can keep track of my thoughts! =X

1) Cheers! We're really glad that Ravenmark has been giving you so much enjoyment! <cough> Sunsouls aside.

2) Lovely feedback. Yeah, we really wanted to push the boundaries for the missions. We have even grander ideas for the last campaign! There's a certain beach assault map I think you'll enjoy.

3) We were actually considering if we wanna make a tactical skirmish version of Ravenmark, where you command individuals instead of Elements.. but we'll only explore that after multiplayer. If we're still around. Lol.

4) Yeah, we didn't have much room to manoeuvre with new Elements since we don't have an in-house animator. The Crowseers were quite a feat already. We're hoping to find someone new so we can do more unique Elements!

5) Play balance is very important to us, that's why we came up with the Brigade system. A Brigade is a preset group of Elements backed with a story to why they exist. If all goes as planned, all Brigades should be -kinda- balanced.

6) It's a Brigade with a unique blend of Elements that ties them to the Deepwood Dragoons campaign.

7) Well, there's one more Campaign for the Ravenmark.. and multiplayer happens five years after Ravenmark. So you might see some stuff happening there! =D

I'm really excited to see how the brigade system will work. It sounds a bit like the teams in Hero Academy, another turn-based game. Can you give us any hints about what the different brigades will be?
Old 11-09-2012, 12:47 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

So I got my new iPad today and sure enough my progress is there as if I never turned traitor and left apple. Good work chaps.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
My suggestion list is minor: There was one scene where it appeared that I might have the chance to control an individual rather than a set of elements, at a moment when someone is challenged to individual combat-- I was temporarily excited by this change of pace, but my hopes were quickly dashed (and one of my favorite characters was killed, RIP ) I thought this would have offered a unique scenario that would have focused more on the management of a number of skills rather than larger battlefield tactics.
I thought the last level was rather like that. Loved it.

This campaign was great; you guys rock! It took several tries, but I managed to get the three medals in every battle. I donít think Iíll be able to do that for some of the previous campaigns, but maybe Iíve learned enough by now. I should give it a try.

I really like the new music; I wish it had featured in more battles. The original music is still good, but Iím always happy when a battle features one of the newer songs.

And that hint about a potential future story arc is quite exciting!
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.x

Quote:

Make that TWO people now

I really like the sound of the brigade system that allows for players to have forces that have their own unique feels. I am doubly excited at the prospect of having access to whole unique Deepwood Dragoons cadre! I thought we were just getting access to a single unit nobody else could use.

To Uberskooper-- Social Work, University of Michigan. You?

I agree that Ravenmark is about battlefield strategy and shouldn't be some kind of Final Fantasy Tactics knock off. I just had a moment of excitement in that one campaign when I thought I might have the chance to crack some skulls as a certain blunt instrument wielding general.

Last edited by JLank; 11-09-2012 at 03:11 PM..