Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Vyper I suggest you read this thread from the very first post up until your post then you will understand, as it is you are just being deliberately thick headed. This dev has been awesome and to even hint that he is somehow not giving people their monies worth is beyond ludicrous which you would see if you read this entire thread.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:57 PM
iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooVyper View Post
Thank you for a reasonable explanation, however it is still my personal opinion that this model doesn't make much sense.
They increased the price of the full game, but they also added an option to play for free and buy as you go. That model makes perfect sense, to me.

How are you harmed by having two different choices? Maybe they will add more content in the future, maybe they won't. Probably most people who haven't played the game at all in the first year of its release will, in fact, buy the episodic version. That's fine. If they want to buy the full version all at once, that's fine too.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
iPad

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a sale on the full version if you wait long enough. One advantage they get from marking the price up is that they can reduce it. Sales work on iOS, whether you think that's a good model or not, there's a lot of reasons for the publisher to do it.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:35 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
Vyper I suggest you read this thread from the very first post up until your post then you will understand, as it is you are just being deliberately thick headed. This dev has been awesome and to even hint that he is somehow not giving people their monies worth is beyond ludicrous which you would see if you read this entire thread.

When did I ever say that I wouldn't be getting my money's worth? Did you even bother to read what I typed? Like I said almost a dozen times, I just want to know why I should purchase the premium app over the episodic with all content because the content and price come out exactly the same with the two apps. How the hell does that give any indication that I don't believe I'm getting my money's worth? Perhaps you are the one with the thick head.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:47 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Quote:

I just want to know why I should purchase the premium app over the episodic with all content because the content and price come out exactly the same with the two apps.
1) Try before you buy and buy as you go (you might get sick of the game after spending $5, for instance.)

or

2) Buy the whole enchilada.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:06 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldat7 View Post
1) Try before you buy and buy as you go (you might get sick of the game after spending $5, for instance.)

or

2) Buy the whole enchilada.
This would prove as good reasoning to purchase the episodic version. I'm trying to see if there's any benefit to purchasing the premium version. For example, more content coming, more campaigns, more modes etc.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:57 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen)

I'm not sure why this version discussion is an issue. The game started out as just the "premium" version on sale for $3. It later went to $5. Back then there were only two campaigns. They updated the third campaign for free. They tried to do the fourth campaign as an in app purchase, but were shouted down by the $1 hordes. Then the fourth campaign became free, with a bonus unique brigade in the upcoming Ravenmark: Mercinaries. The fifth campaign was released for free, though the price increased to $10. The sixth campaign was free as well.

I think around the fifth campaign, the developers decided to release the episodic version. I think the rationale was that it would let people try the game for free and buy more campaigns if they wanted to without dropping the original app and screwing over those that bought it before. Thus you have a premium version and an episodic version. Same content, but if you're an early adopter you got a hell of a lot for your money. Heck, you get a lot for your money now, considering you get many many hours of gameplay for the price of going out to eat (at least if you're an American).

Last edited by Uberskooper; 01-15-2013 at 08:00 PM..
Old 01-15-2013, 09:51 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Heya all, thanks for chiming in! =)

Quote:
So what is the difference between the free episodic app and $10 premium app?

I understand you get the prelude free and you pay for campaigns as they are released, but as it stands, the price of the campaigns equals the same price as the premium version. What more are we getting by purchasing the premium version? I see free content updates, but isn't this the last campaign update?
Hey VoodooVyper, Episodic simply allows players to consume the game at their own leisure. One isn't a better deal than the other, so simply pick what's most comfortable to you! =)

I will say though, the quality of the campaigns - be it the level design or writing, really improved as we got better at what we do. The last few campaigns really are our best work. I'm particularly proud of Deepwood Dragoons. =D
Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tebius View Post
Heya all, thanks for chiming in! =)

Hey VoodooVyper, Episodic simply allows players to consume the game at their own leisure. One isn't a better deal than the other, so simply pick what's most comfortable to you! =)

I will say though, the quality of the campaigns - be it the level design or writing, really improved as we got better at what we do. The last few campaigns really are our best work. I'm particularly proud of Deepwood Dragoons. =D
Thank you for the reply. I am in no way doubting the quality of this game, it looks magnificent and I am eager to purchase and play. I was just caught off guard by the model since other similarly structured titles typically offer a small bit more when you purchase the "premium" version instead of purchasing episodes individually. But I see this isn't the case, so I won't be unsure of my purchase decision.

Will there be more content updates for this particular title? That would be reason enough to purchase the premium imo.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 PM
iPhone 5

Quote:
I feel as though I'm having trouble getting my point across... Essentially, why purchase the premium app if the episodic app gives you the same exact content for the same exact price (after all episodes are dl'd)?

First thing that comes to mind is The Walking Dead game. Back a while ago, you could purchase the episodes individually, or purchase them all at a reduced price.
I get your logic based on what you've said, but citing The Walking Dead as a prime example might not best serve your purpose.

Each episode of The Walking Dead is US$4.99 and the season pass is usually US$24.99 for PC/Mac. Depending on your luck and what platform you purchased the game on, you probably experienced a limited time discount; personally I got the full season pass on PS3 for something like $18.99 but I've heard it's gone as low as $14.99 on Steam or something.

We haven't done any seasonal discounts, so maybe that's why you're seeing the disparity there. There are probably other games who offer a "better" deal with their premium editions, but I simply want to point out that it's not abnormal to offer a full edition at the same price as the sum of the piecemeal episodes.