★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Investigating the Genetics of Scribblenauts

11-15-2011, 10:55 AM
#1
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Investigating the Genetics of Scribblenauts

Has anyone else tried creating a pregnant red cow in Scribblenauts?

Wait a few seconds, and it will be replaced with:
* a red motherly skinny cow
* a red baby cow

The interesting thing I quickly discovered last night is that surprisingly enough, an "evil pregnant cow" does not produce an "evil baby cow".

Instead it gives birth to a regular baby cow... and then proceeds to kill it. (since it's evil, naturally)

What we have here is clearly the budding field of Scribble Genetics!

Experiment with some pregnant cows, and you soon find that "winged", "floating" and "hovering" mothers will create baby cows that can fly, while "angelic" and "flying" cows fail to pass on their ability to levitate.

"Caffeinated" cows somehow pass on their jittery qualities to their babies, but "jumpy" cows do not. "Awake" is inherited, but "asleep" isn't.

It seems hard to believe that I could be the first person to wonder about all this!



Clearly there is a lot of research to be done in this budding field. So who's ready to lend a hand gathering data?

If you feel like contributing to our understanding of Scribble Genetics, all you need to do is:
  1. Think of an adjective
  2. Create a "pregnant ADJECTIVE cow" (or any creature you prefer)
  3. Verify with the magnifying glass that the mother shows the trait
  4. When the baby is spawned, use the magnifying glass to check for your adjective

When you've done that, you can post your findings here and/or submit your result to this site:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...TTEwT25RQUE6MQ


Once I have a good amount of data, I'll update this post with the findings!

So far I've only been testing with the iOS version, so if you have Super Scribblenauts for DS I'd love to know how different heredity is there!

-- Update --
There weren't many submissions, but feel free to View the Live Results

Last edited by sidlon; 10-24-2013 at 03:00 PM.
11-15-2011, 11:16 AM
#2
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,494
Naturally the genetics of Scribblenauts items depends heavily on the father of the item. This has lead to much speculation and even illicit rumors. I am convinced this is the ultimate Scribblenauts easter egg. By this I mean... interesting idea, I look forward to these results.

Last edited by undeadcow; 11-15-2011 at 11:18 AM.

11-15-2011, 11:33 AM
#3
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidlon View Post

The interesting thing I quickly discovered last night is that surprisingly enough, an "evil pregnant cow" does not produce an "evil baby cow".

Instead it gives birth to a regular baby cow... and then proceeds to kill it. (since it's evil, naturally)
Actually, from my own recent testing, evil pregnant cows may indeed give birth to evil baby cows. I spawned an evil pregnant cow, and it proceeded to have the baby and then tried to kill it. However, I had a shotgun from earlier experiments on humans, and I took it upon my heroic self to kill the mother to save the calf.

The calf then started attacking me. Ungrateful wretch. It didn't do any damage (since it was a baby), but it's the principle of the matter. One shotgun blast took care of it.

Of course, I don't know if it attacked me because it was evil, or because I slaughtered it's abusive mother in front of it. Further experimentation is required here.
11-15-2011, 11:44 AM
#4
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comassion View Post
Actually, from my own recent testing, evil pregnant cows may indeed give birth to evil baby cows. I spawned an evil pregnant cow, and it proceeded to have the baby and then tried to kill it. However, I had a shotgun from earlier experiments on humans, and I took it upon my heroic self to kill the mother to save the calf.

The calf then started attacking me. Ungrateful wretch. It didn't do any damage (since it was a baby), but it's the principle of the matter. One shotgun blast took care of it.

Of course, I don't know if it attacked me because it was evil, or because I slaughtered it's abusive mother in front of it. Further experimentation is required here.
It appears that shooting any single cow will cause other cows on the screen (even unrelated ones) to decide to attack you, though the magnifying glass shows that they do not in fact become evil from it.

Another finding - if you create a "pregnant girl" and immediately give her a "tall potion", she will produce a "tall baby girl". So clearly these potions are able to manipulate ScribbleDNA!
11-15-2011, 01:57 PM
#5
Joined: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posts: 103
What really gets me is that Scribble genetics allows for a pregnant bull. Even a pregnant man.

Plus ID: Arock
OpenFeint: Arcanekill
GC:AROCK-T.A.
AutoLog: Arock1
11-15-2011, 02:02 PM
#6
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arock View Post
What really gets me is that Scribble genetics allows for a pregnant bull. Even a pregnant man.
or a pregnant DNA
11-21-2011, 10:49 AM
#7
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 10
One last flying-cow example:
The child of a "pregnant telekinetic cow" will fly after it's born, even though "telekinetic" isn't an inherited trait.

This is because a telekinetic cow gives everything near it the ability to fly. Move the baby cow to the far side of the screen, and it'll drop like a rock.

Last edited by sidlon; 11-21-2011 at 10:52 AM.