[In-Depth Review] Tetris- Electronic Arts
Tetris... Tetris, Tetris, Tetris- An incredible classic. One of my favorite games on a mobile device- Tetris..!
Electronic Arts have written and developed several games on the iPhone and iPod Touch- and one of my favorite is.. Tetris!
Why don't you take a few minutes and read what I have to say about this game....
Some Game Features:
- You can Drag, Flick, and Tap your way through Tetris.
- There are fifteen levels in this game, each one getting harder, and harder!
- Two modes are featured in this great classic. One being the regular old version- Marathon, where you just continually play until level 15, or until you lose the game! The other game mode is the twist that EA has successfully added on your iPod Touch/iPhone- Magic! Magic is just like regular Tetris- but instead it's "magical!" In Magic, each level consists of you clearing a certain level of lines (i.e the first level is five lines, second is ten, etc.) But when you are playing, you are given certain "upgrades" (as i like to call them) or items to help you along the way. These could be some little bombs to destroy the blocks or "magic markers" to allow you to draw any type of block you wish to! Each level consists of different helpers! This looks something like like this: In this image, you can see the clusters/bombs destroying some little blocks- and on the side are the items you have collected!
- The animations, graphics, and details Electronic Arts have added in this game are just astounding, appalling, stunning, and astonishing!! (lol) For example, each time you clear a line, the blocks become 3-D and just pop out at you, and then fall! It looks pretty cool and nice! [= It looks something like this: as you can see the blocks are popping out!
- You CAN listen to your own music, but if you prefer to listen to the music on the app itself, you can do that as well.
- There are also Statistics to view your previous scores and improve on them later!
- Here's some general information: Your score is viewable at the top. You can see the upcoming three blocks coming your way. The goal is on the bottom left (how many lines left to be cleared.) You can hold certain blocks to use them later if needed. The level you are on is at the bottom. Lastly, you can pause by tapping the button on the top right!
- When you open "Tetris," you are given the title of the game, followed by some information. Then you wait until the menu comes up (you just wait for the game to load!!) When you reach the menu, you have a total of seven items to select from: "Marathon," "Magic," "More Games," "Statistics," "Options," "Help," and "About."
- Marathon is one of the two game modes. When you tap "Marathon" you can select your level and play! When you select play, you can watch the tutorail (which teaches you to play) or just skip the tutorial, and start playing. If you pause the game, you can restart it or go to the main menu.
- Magic is another game mode. When you pick "Magic" you can play/skip the tutorial. Then it gives you your goal (in the first level you have to clear five lines). When you complete that you get to the next levels. In the levels, if you play well, you can gain certain items/upgrades (as i mentioned before!!) This is a very interesting and great way to play Tetris! I am extremely happy EA has added this game mode. Magic is basically Tetris with a nice twist!!
- When you pick "More Games" from the Tetris menu, it shows you several fabulous games by EA on the iPhone/iPod Touch! (Yes, I know, it's self explanatory!! Lol )
- If you tap "Statistics" from the Tetris menu it shows you your high scores and lines cleared from the game mode of "Marathon." It also shows the highest score you got for magic and what level you got up to in Magic!
- In options, you can edit many things to your satisfaction. You can turn on/off music, edit the volume level, keep SFX, Tutorial, Ghost PC, and Sparkles on or off! You can also reset the game and clear all your high scores and what not!!
- When you select the "Help" menu from Tetris, you are given instructions and brief details of the game. It includes an "Introduction," "Basics," "Marathon, "Magic," "Touch Controls," "Items," "Special Moves," and "Options."
- When you select the last item from the Tetris menu ("About") EA provides some background details on Tetris itself. Credits are included as well. Lastly, you are given the email for customer service.
Now my favorite part!! The Ratings!!
Gameplay- 4/4.. To be honest I really don't know how Tetris can get better for the iPhone/iPod Touch! It really NEVER gets boring and I've had it for five months now; I still play it!
Controls- 4/4.. The controls are perfect!! I mean all you do is tap, swipe, flick, and drag! Very, very easy to learn and the game is easy to use!
Graphics- 3/4.. The graphics are good! And EA has added the blocks to pop out once you clear a line! But, there really is room for improvement! When you are playing, the blocks could be a little more enhanced and the background could look better as well!! (in my opinion! )
Current App Store Review- 3.5/5.. Just the review the users give Tetris!
Overall- 3.75/4... This game is almost perfect! The controls are beautifully designed, the gameplay is good, but the graphics could be a bit better.
- Excellent Sound Effects
- Perfect Controls
- Great replay value and gameplay
- No lag, with low price [=
- The blocks could look a little nicer, and the background could be better as well!
- Tetris consists of marvelous graphics. I mean tetris for the iPhone is really, really great. The sound effects are very realistic and well put out. The game is incredibly polished and it looks like Electronic Arts put a lot of time on this title!! My favorite part of the game is the spin of Tetris EA included: Magic.. It is very nice. But, as i said before, the graphics could look a bit better! Otherwise, the game is perfect for an iPhone and iPod Touch!!
This game is currently for $4.99 and it is a steal for that price! It is 9.8 mb.
Get it now on the App Store!