iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Forbidden Island

Old 11-15-2011, 11:50 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Looks interesting, might buy.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:57 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

We have the board game. We played it once or twice, but never went back to it.

It was a bit like Pandemic, and that was just a better (and deeper) game.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:38 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecwrtr View Post
We have the board game. We played it once or twice, but never went back to it.

It was a bit like Pandemic, and that was just a better (and deeper) game.
So not that much fun?
Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 AM

Looks interesting.

I haven't played the boardgame version From what I have read this is a co-op game. I am not sure if this iPad version has any sort of online multiplayer element or ai for the solo version. Can anyone confirm?

Many thanks
Old 11-16-2011, 09:19 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

I picked this game up a few days ago - it's been on the app store for nearly a week now and have been surprised by the lack of press.

I've played the physical version of this game many times - the game itself plays a bit like a slightly more simplified and lighter version of the Pandemic board game. It's a cooperative game for 2 to 4 people where you, well, cooperate and assist other players trying to make the most efficient moves/plays to get to the "win" condition before a "fail" condition causes the entire team to loose the game. The basic goal is to work together to claim the four treasures on the island (represented by tiles) before it sinks or loose a member of your expedition.

We play it often during my family board game nights (my 7 year old loves it) and it's good to pull out when you want something light and stresses teamwork over competitiveness. If you've played the Ghost Stories or Elder Signs: Omens apps, you know what style of cooperative game to expect, except Forbidden Island is much lighter fare (and easier to win).

Now as for the app itself - it's pretty much what I expected it to be. Here's some observations:

1. The art from the physical game (which I think is nice, but obviously is subjective) has been accurately represented.
2. Like the physical game, it supports 2 to 4 players. Like in other cooperative style board games on the app store (e.g. Ghost Stories, Elder Signs: Omens), there is no AI for the other players (as it's not really necessary for this style of game) - if you are playing solo, you just take on the roles for the multiple players.
3. There is Game Center support for achievements, but no online multiplayer (at least not at this time)
4. The UI is nice and after the two or so games I've played, I've seen no issues with it. Easy to access the rulebook at any time.
5. Has a "tabletop" mode and a "pass & play" mode which can be switched on the fly, which is nice.

So, in short, the app seems to accurately represent the physical game very well. Only thing I can really gripe about is the lack of online multiplayer, but the counter argument is that cooperative style games really need to be played in person (or with voice chat) in order to properly coordinate moves.

If you enjoyed other coop games on the app store like Ghost Stories or Elder Signs, and are looking for something a little lighter or are a fan of the original physical game, check it out.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

I just found out about this today from a post on BGG in the iOS forum. Very cool. I've played the tutorial and one game (where I lost pretty badly). It looks like it's going to be a lot of fun. Highly polished.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:33 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Never heard of the physical board game before but I was attracted by the nice theme and good looking graphics. Played a couple of solo games so far and have really enjoyed it. Easy to pick up the rules and understand what you need to do... now I just gotta win a game!

I'll try and get the girlfriend to play a character and see how we get on

Very nicely made app - great interface and beautiful artwork. What a nice surprise to find!!

EDIT: Played 2 games with the missus now (about 20 mins each). Really great fun! We won our 2nd game through cunning team work

It actually got to a point where we couldn't really lose because we were each covering our exit path and not worrying about the rest of the island, so unless we were to pull 3 waters rise cards before managing to get the final treasure set, it felt like there was not much to do except keep fixing the flooded tiles we needed and ending turn. I guess this 'could' change on the harder difficulties, but not sure how that is implemented because the rules seem to suggest that there are the same ratio of cards in the pack.

Does the AI forcefully put more waters rise cards in the draw pile? Any ideas? Not sure how difficulty can be made harder when it's just the luck of the shuffle!!

Either way, a nice little game with good options especially in mid-game.

Last edited by Baracus; 11-16-2011 at 02:35 PM..
Old 11-16-2011, 03:22 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baracus View Post
Does the AI forcefully put more waters rise cards in the draw pile? Any ideas? Not sure how difficulty can be made harder when it's just the luck of the shuffle!!
The difficulty of the game is determined by where the tick mark starts on the "Waters Rise" gauge - so on the higher difficulties you have much less "head room" before the water rises to cover the whole island (gets to the last tick mark). On Expert you've really got to move and coordinate fast - it's much easier to get shafted by an unlucky draw.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeOfPoseidon View Post
The difficulty of the game is determined by where the tick mark starts on the "Waters Rise" gauge - so on the higher difficulties you have much less "head room" before the water rises to cover the whole island (gets to the last tick mark). On Expert you've really got to move and coordinate fast - it's much easier to get shafted by an unlucky draw.
Ah right that makes sense - thanks for the insight!