Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-16-2011, 02:51 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Chickon [Galcon dev][Universal]

Old 11-16-2011, 03:09 PM

game is free? nice.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:27 PM

Looks interesting. Definitly a try worth.
Old 11-16-2011, 03:39 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

haha... pretty fun. =oP

Thanx for posting this strive.
Old 11-16-2011, 06:44 PM

Been waiting for this! Cool beans!
Old 11-17-2011, 04:35 AM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Meh, the game is pretty subpar. After enjoying the Galcon series greatly due to the multiplayer (best online game from late 2008 to early 2009), I have to say that this is quite a downgrade.

Besides having a ridiculous premise, the game only has single player. Not only that, it's a freemium title, so I'm expecting the difficulty level to spike quite quickly. There's nothing new gameplay-wise either from the Galcon games.

The one-lined app description does a good job in summarizing the game, connotatively that is: a lazy effort.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:55 AM

The game starts at basically kiddie level (for Galcon vets anyway) for at least the first 30-45 minutes, and there doesnt seem to be any way to accellerate that. IAP seems irrelevant, as you get plenty of power ups in those first 30-45 minutes just by playing and dont need to use any. Sure you have to do 5 battles to get enough feed to free a rooster, and need 4 roosters to attack a factory, but the battles take like 30-45 seconds so it hardly feels like grinding. So its basically a minimum of 20 battles to take a factory, which seems to be equivalent to completing a "level". I am about to defeat the second factory, maybe the new areas that open will be challenging.

I have only played for 30-45 minutes, so I dont actually know when it gets hard, but probably the 3rd factory area will be fun, as long as I dont use power-ups. Some of the special battles in the second factory area I have had to pay attention, although not lost any or used a power-up yet.

There doesnt seem to be any way to select more than 50% of your troops as you can in Galcon. Why? Also, havent played Galcon in a while, but if you select all, cant you send the "all" to one of your occupied areas? Here, you need to select all, then deselect one area, then send the all to that area.

Might be fun -- at least more than the Galcon single player -- once you slog to the challenging areas. However, with no difficulty selection, this may be better for Galcon rookies. Odd (and bad) choice to force everyone to start at such an easy difficulty level. That said, since I have already put in the time, I am going to continue. Its nice to have a "campaign" to make single player Galcon a little more interesting.

I actually think this is a nice freebie.

Last edited by ArtNJ; 11-17-2011 at 08:59 AM..
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 AM
iPad (3rd Gen)

Hi, Phil (Galcon dev) here, just wanted to say I really appreciate all the feedback on this game! Chickon has been a fun way for me to try out a ton of gameplay ideas, so I'm excited to see the reactions. Keep 'em coming!

Thanks!
-Phil

@ArtNJ -

I removed the %-o-meter from this game because I wanted it to be simpler. I expect Chickon is going to appeal to a very different set of people than Galcon did. Probably a much less serious strategy crowd.

As for difficulty, I think trying to play without any powerups on the factory levels is the best opportunity for that. The game ramps up in difficulty pretty slowly, so that'd be your best way to get the most challenge during the first segments of the game.

Last edited by philhassey; 11-17-2011 at 09:34 AM.. Reason: responding to ArtNJ
Old 11-17-2011, 09:46 AM

Phil, I think you have succeeded in making a game that will appear to a broader range of folks. I'm sure my boy will like this, he used to play some single player Galcon, but this is packaged much more suitably for his age. Single player Galcon was not really packaged to keep you playing (for obvious reasons).

Still, keep in mind there have been many Galcon clones with single-player modes on the app store over the last few years, and I dont think any cracked the best-seller lists (at least not for long). If your having fun/experimenting with Chickon, great, but if you actually want to sell a meaningful number, I think you probably need to appeal to your pre-existing fan base, no? A second difficulty level, adding in the selectable percentage and any other missing control elements from Galcon, might do the trick.

Just my two cents, I'm enjoying the freebie despite the low initial difficulty and wish you well with it.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:31 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

This has been a fun and quirky game so far.

I've destroyed around 5 factories so far (I think) and the difficulty level is still pretty low. I have reached the end of the map in 2 directions so I am not sure how much game is left.

Just a question, are some chickons meant to be unkillable? I assume the map is randomly generated, and I've had a few now (around 8, at least) that are completely surrounded by trees or rocks (not walls) or surrounded by water on the edge of the map. I don't believe I'll ever be able to attack those.

I don't have to defeat everything on the map to win do I? If so, do I have to restart the entire map because of these chickons?