★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ***Apples iPad App of the Week comes to iPhone!***
***Thousands of 5-Star User Ratings on iPad***

In Crimson: Steam Pirates for iPhone, plumes of black smoke fill the blue Caribbean sky as Thomas Bloods pirate fleet steams aheadover, above, and below the waves. On the surface, ships bristle with swivel cannons and lightning guns. Above, zeppelins drip with incendiary bombs. And below, silent and deadly, submarines stalk their targets, torpedoes at the ready.

Command your fleet and your Steampunk crew using an elegant action interface. Crimson: Steam Pirates turn-based gameplay provides an addicting mixture of strategy and action as you anticipate your enemies moves and counter them, luring them into a deadly hail of weapons fire while uncovering the mystery brewing in the Caribbean.

Crimson: Steam Pirates for iPhone features:

Chapters 1 & 2 feature 16 voyages that tell the tale of Thomas Bloods adventures in the Caribbean
Chapter 3 features 8 new voyages, available as an in-app purchase
2 Pass-and-Play multiplayer scenarios
Over a dozen types of ships, subs, and airships
Over 20 unique crew members whose special abilities enhance gameplay

Presented by Bungie Aerospace and conceived by the mind of Harebrained Schemes' Jordan Weisman, creator of the MechWarrior, Crimson Skies, and Shadowrun universes.

Crimson: Steam Pirates for iPhone supports:

iPhone 4S
iPhone 4
iPhone 3GS
iPod Touch (3G and 4G models only)

Earlier iPhone/iPod Touch hardware is not supported. If you are experiencing problems with Crimson: Steam Pirates please contact crimson_sup@bungie.com with a detailed description of your issue and information on the device you are using.

backtothis's comments:

Look what's finally here.
11-17-2011, 10:30 PM
wat yay.

LOL kind of a random release. Definitely getting it though. I've been looking forward to an iphone version since the iPad exclusive release.

Follow me on Twitter: @jumpman475
Member of the BETA TESTER ALLIANCE
Need a Writer? I'm your man. Send me a PM.

11-17-2011, 10:39 PM
Is it just me, or was the iPad release free with IAPs?

Does this one have IAPs on top of the entry fee?

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
11-17-2011, 10:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
Is it just me, or was the iPad release free with IAPs?

Does this one have IAPs on top of the entry fee?
The iPhone version includes the first 2 chapters for $0.99. The third chapter costs $0.99. For the iPad version, you get the first chapter free, but both the second and third chapters are $1.99 each. Sounds like we're getting a great deal to me. Not to mention, Chapter 3 just came out today. I have no problem buying additional content through iAPs. Great way to support the dev and encourage them to add more to their games. It's how iAPs should be used.

Twitter: @back2this

Last edited by backtothis; 11-17-2011 at 10:44 PM.
11-17-2011, 11:00 PM
The game plays a lot like Steambirds, but there's ships instead of planes. However, the game has a lot more depth. Tons of different ships along with crews that give different abilities to the ships. 24 levels if you buy the iAP, which gets you the last 8 levels. It comes with 2 pass-and-play maps as well. Steambirds was pretty fun so this should be a step up due to the additional depth and because it's story-oriented. Great for the dollar or two if you get the iAP.

Twitter: @back2this
11-17-2011, 11:14 PM
Note:

It`s the iPad Version but at the End the Missiondesign is the same
11-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Seems really fun so far, though I'm not far into the game yet.
BUT: No retina graphics!
No gamecenter integration, the only way to compare highscores is via facebook.
11-18-2011, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
The iPhone version includes the first 2 chapters for $0.99. The third chapter costs $0.99. For the iPad version, you get the first chapter free, but both the second and third chapters are $1.99 each. Sounds like we're getting a great deal to me. Not to mention, Chapter 3 just came out today. I have no problem buying additional content through iAPs. Great way to support the dev and encourage them to add more to their games. It's how iAPs should be used.
I know that, I was wondering if it's the same release as the iPad version - which had the IAPs, but was free to begin with. At least I got it free at some point...

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.
11-18-2011, 09:47 AM
Does anyone know if Bungie have mentioned plans for a-sync online multiplayer? The game seems like a natural fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honki View Post
BUT: No retina graphics!
No gamecenter integration, the only way to compare highscores is via facebook.
This is something that has perplexed me from the advent of the App Store: how current or former AAA developers and companies often leave out many mechanics that have otherwise become iOS standards. At first, it was multitasking, and Retina graphics and Game Center integration are still often missing from games from developers who usually focus on the console or desktop market.

Indie devs, as a contrast, rarely overlook these standards, and, perhaps more curiously, are far better at implementing social or online mechanisms, or even full-blown multiplayer.

While there might be many explanations (perhaps indies need to add these extra elements of polish in order to get recognized, and perhaps many large devs simply do not want Apple's own social gaming network in their products), a cynical person might suggest that companies like Bungie expect to sell on their good name alone (or the name of the product, in the case of EA's console adaptions and the first Street Fighter for iOS), and therefore simply do not need to spend any time on their games beyond the bare minimums of iOS-specific coding

Vocalist of Earthbridge and Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona

Last edited by Ayjona; 11-18-2011 at 10:03 AM.
11-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Quote:
how current or former AAA developers and companies often leave out many mechanics that have otherwise become iOS standards.
Exactly.
Even the game icon is low-res. as a matter of fact, it is the only low-res icon on my home screen.
Man, I was really looking forward to this game but the longer I play, the more I'm annoyed by this blurry mess. HD update pretty please, devs?