★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How amny times can you 'gift' an app

11-18-2011, 07:29 AM
How amny times can you 'gift' an app

Hi all,

I'm thinking of giving away allot of copies of my game as a promotion, but I don't want it to be a free app.

I've decided to do this by 'gifting' the app to people who like my facebook page.

Is there a limit to how many times I could gift the app?

Thanks in advance!
11-18-2011, 09:16 AM
I didn't hear yet that there is a limit.

However, I didn't use this extensively. Only once gifted maybe some 15 copies on a single day. There were no problems at all.

Sponge Forge - making money to make games - http://www.spongeforge.com/

11-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpderp View Post
Hi all,

I'm thinking of giving away allot of copies of my game as a promotion, but I don't want it to be a free app.

I've decided to do this by 'gifting' the app to people who like my facebook page.

Thanks in advance!
It's worth considering that you can only gift an app for the same store as you have an account in, so if you only have a US iTunes account, you can only gift to other US iTunes users, at least that's my understanding.
11-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astraware View Post
It's worth considering that you can only gift an app for the same store as you have an account in, so if you only have a US iTunes account, you can only gift to other US iTunes users, at least that's my understanding.
Yes, this is true.

It is possible to get gift cards for other countries, BUT: you will not be able to send gifts with that money loaded to your account.

Sponge Forge - making money to make games - http://www.spongeforge.com/
11-18-2011, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
I'd recommend giving your promo codes out exclusively through PM so they're not wasted on Lurkers, and also, you might want to have some contest on TA where the winner/s get a promo code. In my experience, people don't like to connect their gaming to someone's facebook page like that for different reasons.
11-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Read this post from Imangi Studios when they tried to gift 1000 copies of their app: http://www.imangistudios.com/2010/03...-tool-for.html

Quote:
There were lots of rumors circulating around that gifting so many apps is impossible. While it's not impossible, it is difficult. All told, it took me 2 days to send 1000 gifts. Why did it take so long?

-You're limited to 1000 characters in the address field, so we had to gift in about 20 batches.
-iTunes would temporarily lock out our account for an hour every 1-2 batches. I'm guessing that they rate limit your purchases it to prevent fraudulent activity.
-Visa locked our credit card twice because spending $100 on iTunes every hour looked a bit suspicious.

Twitter: @Zincous
11-19-2011, 05:43 AM
Quote:
That isn't a wise move, gifting will cost you a lot of money and time for very little benefits. Making your app free for few days could bring you a lot of exposure for almost no cost. Check my latest thread about my experience with Jump Birdy Jump:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=113355

JC
11-19-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks all, lots of good info.
11-19-2011, 02:45 PM
The other downside of gifting (unless they changed it) is that the person receiving the gift can't leave a review.