★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: The Fantastic 3D Chess

05-05-2009, 03:47 AM
The Fantastic 3D Chess

3D Chess is an excellent chess app, which is the first-ever meaningful three-dimensional chess application. The combination of incredible game screen and artificial intelligence which thinks carefully and responses rapidly makes me fondle admiringly with it.

As I preferred strategy games since young, chess can be said as my enlightenment of strategy games. I like the feeling of the battle of wits between seconds. With me growing older, chances to play chess with my friends face to face diminished gradually. Most of the time, I just played it on the internet. After I got iPhone, chess app naturally became the essential part. When I was free from work, I would open my iPhone and fight with the computer. However, it was a pity that I never found the fabulous picture of 3D chess on the iPhone. After trying several chess apps on the App Store, I found that the best one is just done with pseudo-3D effect.

Afterward I occasionally heard from my chess player fellow that he had just downloaded a 3D Chess app, whose graphics and AI are very good. He suggested me to have a try. The moment I opened the page layout of 3D Chess, I knew it was what I dreamed of. I couldn’t wait to download it.

After entering the game, I directly used the default setting to start the game, and immediately felt that the developer did the work with their heart. First, the game interface is designed to be simple, without any redundancy in addition to the necessary demonstrated information. Second, the model and the action of pieces are true-to-life and vivid. Moreover, the sound performance is also great. The background music is pretty powerful and as if you were truly there, and each piece’s motion has a sound performance accompanied with it, which much more increases the realism of the game.

In addition to the above features, the most satisfying design is about the AI. In the most difficult condition, the average time of computer calculation is only about seven seconds. If you think it is easy to defeat the computer as she calculates in such a short time, you are completely wrong. In my experience of battling with her, whether on the opening, or the trial of strength of the midgame, or the type of method of the endgame, the computer can always catch up with you and treat them calmly.

Now I’d like to briefly talk about some of my use experiences: At the beginning, I have some confusion of how to transform the perspective of the game. Afterward I found that I could double-tap the 3D CHESS to return to the main menu and change the perspective in OPTIONS. Then I return to the main menu and tap RESUME to return to the game. Speaking of perspective, if two persons play it, I personally recommend the default view.

All in all, this iPhone app deserves recommendation. Screenshot, sound performance, and artificial intelligence etc. are all perfectly done. My only regret is that I hope the features mentioned to be updated will open as soon as possible. Look forward to her further updates

Last edited by Dorothy; 05-05-2009 at 05:19 AM. Reason: add the screen shot
05-05-2009, 04:00 AM
Oh come on...

05-05-2009, 04:01 AM
I didn't know a chess app can be so life-fulfilling. Cool looking.

Hm, and why is Help spelt "Hlep"?
05-05-2009, 04:36 AM
Guys, give the person a break. It's obvious they are a non native English speaker.

Coming back to the game, it does look quite decent. Is there an option to use classic styled playing pieces?
05-05-2009, 05:07 AM
I don't see anything wrong with pointing out a spelling mistake in the game screen. Why, are these people made of glass or something?
05-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenblack View Post
I don't see anything wrong with pointing out a spelling mistake in the game screen. Why, are these people made of glass or something?
No, no nothing wrong with pointing out the typo in the game screen. It wasn't to do with what you said...

The person posting isn't the developer (at least I hope not) so lets make them feel welcomed.
05-05-2009, 10:11 AM
wow

perfect. it worth 1 buck.
05-05-2009, 10:14 AM
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=11232

Don't check this site or private messages often.
05-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Amazing!!!

it's my cup of tea!!!!
05-06-2009, 10:41 AM
What's with all these new members writing how great this is

Bought, hated, deleted. Waaaaaay too small to enjoy it, moving is difficult. Had no qualms about removing this after five minutes.

Don't check this site or private messages often.