Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-22-2011, 01:52 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Bag It! HD (Universal) by Hidden Variable Studios

I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread for this, but it got a 5/5 from AppSpy, so it's gotta be worth checking out, right? It's currently on sale for $0.99, but there's also an iPhone/iPod touch-only version (linked below). Ironically, the only video I could find for it was the AppSpy review, so...well, yeah.

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Universal:

iPhone/iPod touch:

Last edited by New England Gamer; 11-24-2011 at 06:42 PM.. Reason: Added more videos
Old 11-24-2011, 07:18 AM
Banned
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

I am utterly addicted to this game right now.
I saw it for 99c and thought "what the hey just try it it's not even a dollar"
I didn't think it'd be super amazing, but it is, seriously.
It feels really unique..it has given me the same feeling I got when j first played cut the rope..you know that "omg I've never played a game like this before in my life but holy hell I'm loving it!" kinda feeling.

Theres some Really awesome puzzle elements to this game that make you scratch your head at first, and then feel proud of your self when you do work it out and collect each badge. Once you work out the basics it's quite easy to get the hang of, there are about 10 different items with different weights, you have to make sure you don't squash the bread with the milk or the milk with a watermelon, etc.
Replay element is also amazing, I have some sort of OCD making me finish the game 100% with every badge and 3 stars. Each level there is 2 extra medals to be collected by completing small tasks that make you go back and complete the level again but in a totally different way! Once you collect 2 medals that level then gets a blue ribbon, if your super OCD like me, you'll not only want the blue ribbons, but also 3 stars on every level of course!

I LOVE IT!!!! I hope to god more levels come, there's already heaps..I have played the game for probably 5 hours straight and I still haven't completely finished it. And I'm an experienced iOS puzzle player.

If you like games like: cut the rope, cover orange, contre jour, smoody etc, you'll love this, basically any awesomely unique but simple concept casual puzzler with cute graphics and characters and a good soundtrack..cause that's basically what this is! It has a couple different modes also, the gameplay stays fresh by mixing up levels, the first world is puzzle element grocery packing, second world is arcade style grocery squashing, and the 3rd world is back to puzzler again.

Then each level you can go back to collect 2 medals, and once you complete that you get a badge. It might be something like "complete tne level with all groceries the right side up" so you have to go figure out another way for all the groceries to perfectly fit in tne bag in the upright position.

It's not as simple as just placing the items in the bag though, that's only half of it..i guess that part of the game is kinda like tetris.. An awesome modernized version of tetris that is! then the other half is putting the groceries together in such a way that nothing gets squashed, also if you put certain items together you get bonus points, like milk and orange juice together makes "sweet hearts" which gives you bonus points, sometimes a medal will say "make a fiesta of flavor" and you have to arrange all the groceries in a way where the "flavor fiesta" combo is present,( which is 6 bags of nachos together) but you have to work out the combos for yourself, which definately adds some challenge if you want to get all the medals.

You also have to be careful at the placement of the items, watermelons always have to be on the bottom, milk and orange juice are also quite heavy, if you place them on top of nachos a 5 second timer will come up and if you don't move it in time the nachos will end up squashed and you get less points or you have to redo the level, some levels require no items breaking, others (at the beginning) allow you to have 3 strikes.
If you place a watermelon on something weak like a bread roll, it'll squash instantly, so you have to be careful.

All the items have cute little names and funny characteristics:
Such as "seedy" the watermelon.
And "sunshine" the orange juice
"split" the milk carton
"Chicka sisters" bananas
"crusteroguh" the bagette of bread
"eggward" the carton of eggs with a mustache and monocle on his eye

The characters faces and personalities are pretty hilarious, the whole game just comes together in such as sweet way it'll be sure to make you smile.. I adored it to pieces. I played for hours straight, I didn't want to put it down until I collected all badges.I ended up having to stop to make dinner and thankfully then I could break free and try to do some studying, cleaning and other semi-productive things, but I found myself back to the game collecting more badges. Its extremely addictive, maybe I have OCD? I dunno.

The more stars you get the more modes you unlock, if you collect enough ribbons you also unlock another mode,
one mode you have to quickly keep packing bags as fast as you can because the items on the conveyer belt will fall into a laser beam if you don't pack it in time,then if 3 items hit the laser,your game is over, or if you pack the groceries shoddily and items get squashed, the round will also end.

The second mode is a mode in which you must use puzzle elements to pack the bags of groceries (as slowly as you want) then bag it, (press the bag button which then gives you a new bag to pack after you wait 5 seconds for the countdown to ensure nothing gets squashed, if you haven't packed it correctly and even just one item gets squashed, the game is over. You keep going as far as you can and it counts how many groceries you have successfully bagged without a squashing. (it sounds easy but it's actually quite hard, I've only gotten to around 30 so far, but I've only played that mode a handful of times, I'm too busy with puzzle mode)

Mode 3 is a squashing mode, you have to squash as many items as you can in a certain time. You place things like eggs and nachos in the bag then drop watermelons or milk cartons on them to squash them, and try to beat your record.

My favorite mode is definately the original puzzle mode.
There are 3 worlds all have Around 20 levels each world, 60 all up.
Plus replay element of 3 starring and badges etc.

Out of all the huge releases out lately, like minecraft PE, aquaria, etc I can honestly say I've had way more fun with this little indie 99c game then I have bad with all those recent games by big companies.

It seems the big companies keep spitting out games as a way to make money, no love and affection is put into the angry birds clone for the mass market.
it's the small indie devs that seem to have awesomely unique and innovative ideas that blow your mind, and work so hard on it until it's perfect then release their work of art into the wild, but unfortunately because they aren't a big named company with millions of dollars to spend on PR teams and advertisement, they don't always get as much recognition as they deserve.

I hope this game gets the recognition it deserves because it truly is a gem, it's brilliant..unique, the characters are cute and hilarious the soundtrack is awesome, it actually sounds like something I'd have on my iPod!
but more importantly, the game play is totally unique and truly fascinating. I never thought I'd have fun bagging groceries, but honestly, this game will make you want to quit your job as a doctor or a nurse or whatever profession you spent years at uni studying, to go become a frikkin grocery bagger at walmart. because if their having THIS much fun at walmart, sign me up! I'll work for free! lol

Last edited by WIZARDLY_LIZARD; 11-24-2011 at 07:26 AM..
Old 11-24-2011, 07:34 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

Wow, that's quite a write-up. Bag It looks very well made, but games where you move things around to fit them in spaces and games with strict time limits are not my thing. I hate them like poison. So I'll pass for now.

Hope others will share their impressions soon.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:59 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIZARDLY_LIZARD View Post
I am utterly addicted to this game right now.
I saw it for 99c and thought "what the hey just try it it's not even a dollar"
I didn't think it'd be super amazing, but it is, seriously.
It feels really unique..it has given me the same feeling I got when j first played cut the rope..you know that "omg I've never played a game like this before in my life but holy hell I'm loving it!" kinda feeling.

Theres some Really awesome puzzle elements to this game that make you scratch your head at first, and then feel proud of your self when you do work it out and collect each badge. Once you work out the basics it's quite easy to get the hang of, there are about 10 different items with different weights, you have to make sure you don't squash the bread with the milk or the milk with a watermelon, etc.
Replay element is also amazing, I have some sort of OCD making me finish the game 100% with every badge and 3 stars. Each level there is 2 extra medals to be collected by completing small tasks that make you go back and complete the level again but in a totally different way! Once you collect 2 medals that level then gets a blue ribbon, if your super OCD like me, you'll not only want the blue ribbons, but also 3 stars on every level of course!

I LOVE IT!!!! I hope to god more levels come, there's already heaps..I have played the game for probably 5 hours straight and I still haven't completely finished it. And I'm an experienced iOS puzzle player.

If you like games like: cut the rope, cover orange, contre jour, smoody etc, you'll love this, basically any awesomely unique but simple concept casual puzzler with cute graphics and characters and a good soundtrack..cause that's basically what this is! It has a couple different modes also, the gameplay stays fresh by mixing up levels, the first world is puzzle element grocery packing, second world is arcade style grocery squashing, and the 3rd world is back to puzzler again.

Then each level you can go back to collect 2 medals, and once you complete that you get a badge. It might be something like "complete tne level with all groceries the right side up" so you have to go figure out another way for all the groceries to perfectly fit in tne bag in the upright position.

It's not as simple as just placing the items in the bag though, that's only half of it..i guess that part of the game is kinda like tetris.. An awesome modernized version of tetris that is! then the other half is putting the groceries together in such a way that nothing gets squashed, also if you put certain items together you get bonus points, like milk and orange juice together makes "sweet hearts" which gives you bonus points, sometimes a medal will say "make a fiesta of flavor" and you have to arrange all the groceries in a way where the "flavor fiesta" combo is present,( which is 6 bags of nachos together) but you have to work out the combos for yourself, which definately adds some challenge if you want to get all the medals.

You also have to be careful at the placement of the items, watermelons always have to be on the bottom, milk and orange juice are also quite heavy, if you place them on top of nachos a 5 second timer will come up and if you don't move it in time the nachos will end up squashed and you get less points or you have to redo the level, some levels require no items breaking, others (at the beginning) allow you to have 3 strikes.
If you place a watermelon on something weak like a bread roll, it'll squash instantly, so you have to be careful.

All the items have cute little names and funny characteristics:
Such as "seedy" the watermelon.
And "sunshine" the orange juice
"split" the milk carton
"Chicka sisters" bananas
"crusteroguh" the bagette of bread
"eggward" the carton of eggs with a mustache and monocle on his eye

The characters faces and personalities are pretty hilarious, the whole game just comes together in such as sweet way it'll be sure to make you smile.. I adored it to pieces. I played for hours straight, I didn't want to put it down until I collected all badges.I ended up having to stop to make dinner and thankfully then I could break free and try to do some studying, cleaning and other semi-productive things, but I found myself back to the game collecting more badges. Its extremely addictive, maybe I have OCD? I dunno.

The more stars you get the more modes you unlock, if you collect enough ribbons you also unlock another mode,
one mode you have to quickly keep packing bags as fast as you can because the items on the conveyer belt will fall into a laser beam if you don't pack it in time,then if 3 items hit the laser,your game is over, or if you pack the groceries shoddily and items get squashed, the round will also end.

The second mode is a mode in which you must use puzzle elements to pack the bags of groceries (as slowly as you want) then bag it, (press the bag button which then gives you a new bag to pack after you wait 5 seconds for the countdown to ensure nothing gets squashed, if you haven't packed it correctly and even just one item gets squashed, the game is over. You keep going as far as you can and it counts how many groceries you have successfully bagged without a squashing. (it sounds easy but it's actually quite hard, I've only gotten to around 30 so far, but I've only played that mode a handful of times, I'm too busy with puzzle mode)

Mode 3 is a squashing mode, you have to squash as many items as you can in a certain time. You place things like eggs and nachos in the bag then drop watermelons or milk cartons on them to squash them, and try to beat your record.

My favorite mode is definately the original puzzle mode.
There are 3 worlds all have Around 20 levels each world, 60 all up.
Plus replay element of 3 starring and badges etc.

Out of all the huge releases out lately, like minecraft PE, aquaria, etc I can honestly say I've had way more fun with this little indie 99c game then I have bad with all those recent games by big companies.

It seems the big companies keep spitting out games as a way to make money, no love and affection is put into the angry birds clone for the mass market.
it's the small indie devs that seem to have awesomely unique and innovative ideas that blow your mind, and work so hard on it until it's perfect then release their work of art into the wild, but unfortunately because they aren't a big named company with millions of dollars to spend on PR teams and advertisement, they don't always get as much recognition as they deserve.

I hope this game gets the recognition it deserves because it truly is a gem, it's brilliant..unique, the characters are cute and hilarious the soundtrack is awesome, it actually sounds like something I'd have on my iPod!
but more importantly, the game play is totally unique and truly fascinating. I never thought I'd have fun bagging groceries, but honestly, this game will make you want to quit your job as a doctor or a nurse or whatever profession you spent years at uni studying, to go become a frikkin grocery bagger at walmart. because if their having THIS much fun at walmart, sign me up! I'll work for free! lol
Great write up but you've only discussed 3 of the 6 modes and, IMHO, the 4th-6th are the best! These are the Endless modes where you'll need to fight to keep the game going! I've only unlocked the first of these 3 Endless variants and hope the devs soon add some IAP options to unlock the other two as I really doubt I'm good enough at the Puzzle mode to do it naturally.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:35 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Wizardly Lizard: thanks for the fantastic write up! If you wanted to convince me to buy the game you succeeded!

So far I am enjoying it and not regretting my purchase at all. These groceries are definitely cute and pack some fun.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM

OK i am convinced - Getting the Game right now.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

don't forget to make videos!!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:51 AM

Default Where is it?

No Bagging it in Germany :-(
Old 11-24-2011, 09:53 AM

This game is so much fun! It's a combination of so many different puzzlers. Thanks metal casket (and drelbs) for letting me know about it! It was completely off my radar!
Old 11-24-2011, 09:56 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I like this one as well. So buy it. Or don't just to spite me. See if I care.