★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Play this new cut-throat word building game alone or against your friends. Tired of people cheating at Words with Friends or Scrabble? Cricket Words is the answer.
Cricket Words is an ingenious mix between the dart game "cricket" and your favorite word games like Boggle. Easy to play; impossible to quit.
Make words, cross off marks, pile on points.

Multi Player Features
* Fast-paced gameplay - enter 3 words before time expires
* Play against up to 3 of your friends or we'll automatically match you with other players
* Doubles and triples allow you to mount the ultimate comeback or crush your opponent
* Cut-throat! Put points ON your opponents to finish with the lowest score
* Varying difficulties so everyone from kids to geniuses can play
* Leaderboards and achievements through Game Center
* No cheaters - the clock keeps ticking even in the background
* Casual - play a round when you can with turn-based gaming

One Player Features
* Score as many points as you can in 2 minutes
* Build words, make marks, then start scoring points (clear a word length by making 3 marks)
* Make a word chain (6 straight valid words) to enable a multiplier bonus
* Clear word lengths to increase your point bonus
* Add time to the clock by combining a valid word chain with doubles and triples
* Use doubles and triples to score big points
* Get a 100 point bonus for clearing all marks
* Climb the leaderboard and beat your friends' high scores

Note
* You need iOS 5 to play multi player games
* Cricket Words requires a Game Center account

jeremy.provost's comments:
Hello,

We're a small indie developer that just put out our first iOS game, Cricket Words. It's a fun word game that you play with friends. It's our combination of the dart game "cricket" and word building games like Boggle, Scrabble, and Words with Friends. Unlike some of those other games, our game is designed to make it hard to cheat.

The game is free with an option to remove ads. We use Game Center so you can easily connect with friends.

Cricket Words just launched today.

We'd love it if you'd take a minute to check it out. We think you'll enjoy it. If you want to start a game with us you can add us (jeremy.provost and eyepatchy) or you can use the auto-match feature to find an opponent.

Thanks,

Jeremy Provost
Think Tap Work
http://thinktapwork.com
http://blog.thinktapwork.com
http://twitter.com/thinktapwork
11-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Just downloaded this. I have started a couple of games and taken my go and just awaiting my opponents to go.

Seems ok so far. Think I have understood how it plays out etc from the descriptions.
The only thing I don't like is that the colours/layout etc is too much like Game Centre.

I have this installled on my iPad and not on my iPhone but because the notifications from the app come through Game Centre and not directly from the app I get the notifications on both devices. Nothing major just bugs me a bit.

Game Centre, Openfeint, Crystal, Gameloft Live and PSN ID: Smallville2106

Last edited by pavarotti2007; 11-22-2011 at 08:40 PM.

11-23-2011, 11:47 AM
Thanks a lot for the feedback. I replied on the other thread.

Anyone else have a chance to try this out? We'd love to hear from you. We really want to make this a great game.
12-09-2011, 09:46 AM
Get in this game!

Just wanted to dip in and give this game some love. My favorite iOS games are turn-based, async deals like this one, so it's always nice to stumble across another. If I hadn't seen it mentioned in a blog post about apps requiring iOS5, I might have completely missed it. I'd love to see it get some attention with a TA review! Maybe the upcoming iOS4 compatibility release will provide the opportunity for a re-look?

I love the simple idea of a timer on a turn-based game -- so nice to have some arcade-y pressure applied to a back and forth game like this. I get that fun panicked feeling every time I start my turn. The fact that it keeps it cheating-free is the icing on the cake.

Strategy-wise, I'd be curious as to what folks have found works best: attacking a player early for points? Or playing defensively and trying to get all your marks across the board? Haven't played enough >2 player games yet to know if those feel different, strategy-wise.
12-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by x amount View Post
I'd love to see it get some attention with a TA review! Maybe the upcoming iOS4 compatibility release will provide the opportunity for a re-look?
We really appreciate the kind words. We, too, would love to see a review from TA. We filled out a request on their site before we launched (giving them a preview copy) but haven't heard anything back so far. Not sure if there's really any way to get on their radar. In the meantime, we'll just keep trying to make Cricket Words better and better.

Quote:
Strategy-wise, I'd be curious as to what folks have found works best: attacking a player early for points? Or playing defensively and trying to get all your marks across the board? Haven't played enough >2 player games yet to know if those feel different, strategy-wise.
I would give you my strategy, but seeing as we're in a 4-player match against each other right now that doesn't seem wise.

We'd love to hear any suggestions you might have for improving Cricket Words. Any feedback at all is great. Thanks again.
12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy.provost View Post
We'd love to hear any suggestions you might have for improving Cricket Words. Any feedback at all is great. Thanks again.
I think the basic game mechanic is locked in. It feels complete! To keep me and my Carcassonne-addicted friends coming back again and again, I think it would be great if you did more with the win/loss data. The "total wins" leaderboard is great, but I want to know how many losses it took to get those wins. Showing win/loss percentage for my friends would be great. Win/loss with me vs. each of my friends would be even better (see Poker Pals for a good example of that). Going a step farther, Carc's ELO system is fantastic as well, since you're always trying to beat the best players to inch higher up the scale.

I like how this is one of the few game I have that seems to really push Game Center's new avatar feature -- it definitely highlights how many of my friends need to add a pic. I will say that it feels odd seeing my own face in the My Turn list though. (If CW was a 2-players-only game, I'd say always show the opponents face.)

I'll be interested to see what additional upgrades you guys are thinking of adding. Hoping they don't allow users to buy gameplay advantages -- or if they do, that you're able to establish any given match as "clean."

One last idea: maybe reuse the iPhone's ad-removed area to somehow show [a portion of] the scoreboard? Even if I could just see my own scoreboard row, that would be super helpful. Being able to see the full scoreboard definitely gives the iPad player an advantage!
12-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Quote:
To keep me and my Carcassonne-addicted friends coming back again and again, I think it would be great if you did more with the win/loss data. The "total wins" leaderboard is great, but I want to know how many losses it took to get those wins. Showing win/loss percentage for my friends would be great. Win/loss with me vs. each of my friends would be even better (see Poker Pals for a good example of that). Going a step farther, Carc's ELO system is fantastic as well, since you're always trying to beat the best players to inch higher up the scale.
Great ideas. We have a few ways we're going to improve the leader boards in the short term. We're also looking into providing detailed win/loss records vs. your friends.

Quote:
I will say that it feels odd seeing my own face in the My Turn list though. (If CW was a 2-players-only game, I'd say always show the opponents face.)
We considered this. Ultimately we decided that on the iPhone we would simply show the avatar for current player. We did not want it to be inconsistent; if you're playing a two-player game you see the opponent's avatar, but if you're playing a four-player game you see your own. That's why we ended up with this.

Quote:
I'll be interested to see what additional upgrades you guys are thinking of adding. Hoping they don't allow users to buy gameplay advantages -- or if they do, that you're able to establish any given match as "clean."
We haven't decided about game play advantages yet. But we did decide that if we move forward with anything like that it will apply to all players in the game. We also agree that if we add that stuff there should be a way to play without upgrades. Here are a few things we're working on:

- Some people don't understand the scoring, so we're going to add a hint feature in easy games (only). It will give them advice on what marks they need and which lengths will score points.
- In game chat is something that we're continuing to investigate.
- We still have various UI changes that we'll be making.

Quote:
One last idea: maybe reuse the iPhone's ad-removed area to somehow show [a portion of] the scoreboard? Even if I could just see my own scoreboard row, that would be super helpful. Being able to see the full scoreboard definitely gives the iPad player an advantage!
We have plans to make the scoreboard more accessible on the iPhone in a future update.
12-13-2011, 12:18 AM
Just a heads up. Version 1.1.1 was just released. Let us know what you think.

http://bit.ly/cricketwords
12-15-2011, 05:02 PM
We just submitted Cricket Words 1.2 to Apple. We are hoping it'll get approved before they take their holiday break on the 22nd.

This update is huge in that it brings a one player mode that we think is super fun. Same basic concept (build words, make marks, score points), but expanded and improved to work with one player. We've included word chain bonus multipliers that increase as you clear word lengths, an all marks bonus, and you can even add time to the clock by combining a word chain with doubles and triples. We've included a separate leader board for one player games so you can try to beat your own high score or your friends' high scores. We hope you guys love it as much as we do (it's our new addiction).

This update also allows players with iOS 4.3 to get in on the fun, though they will be limited to the one-player game.
12-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Cricket Words 1.2 was approved by Apple last night. We're already seeing a lot of people jumping into the one player version. We'd love to hear any feedback on it.

Get it in the App Store: http://bit.ly/cricketwords