★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Left. Right. Jump.

Those are the only controls you need to achieve pure platforming nirvana in DoubleJump, retro-styled tough-but-fair precision-platforming for the discerning iOS gamer.

Simple, accessible, and shot through with humour, it's a little drop of joy in the palm of your hand.

High in the moon's artificial atmosphere, concealed amongst the orbiting satellites and climate control platforms, lurk five of the universe's most wanted. As Commander Venus, Intergalactic UltraCop, it's your job to bring these dastardly perps to justice. Expect stiff resistance.

- Super precise controls, designed specifically for iOS.
- You want challenging gameplay but with fairly placed checkpoints? So do we.
- 8 bit of what you like: We love us some chunky pixels, cool enemies and awesome sprite designs. That's why you'll find plenty of crisp retro stylings in this game.
- Unlockable upgrades help Venus jump higher, chain jumps for longer, fly faster and more.
- 6 outrageous boss criminals to take down the old-fashioned way; by jumping on their weak spots, of course.
- Double jumping is cool, but how about triple, quadruple, even ten or more times in a row? Answer; very cool. Commander Venus' jetpack introduces a new platforming paradigm as you weave in and out of obstacles and enemies.
- Tons of replay value - true UltraCops earn the purple medal on each level.

StuartY's comments:
Hi all,

Stuart from Square Meal Apps here. We've got a sweet new game out called doublejump. It's a super simple left/right/jump platformer with a cool twist - instead of just double jumping, you have a jetpack that lets you triple, quadruple, even jump infinite times when it's fully upgraded. So eventually, you're spending minutes weaving through hazards and enemies without touching the ground. There are also cool bosses on each stage to take down, upgrades to unlock, and time trials to complete.

Have a look. It's a lot of fun.

11-23-2011, 08:45 AM
Hmm, I've a quite mixed feelings about that...

Of course I like gfx style, but scale is not quite right. Main hero is a little bit to bigger I think.

Game video/trailer could be helpful !

P.S. This is only me who read "doodlejump" at first?
11-23-2011, 11:09 AM
That's a good point, I had a lot of back and forth about that. The hero is 16*32 in the end (which is really scaled up to 32*64 on the iphone screen, obviously, even higher on iPhone 4). I was thinking about 8*16 or maybe a compromise like 12*24 but decided against it because of the small size of the device - I wanted to make sure you could see some detail on the character. I should probably add that it scrolls up/down only so it's not too confusing for the player.

I'm working on a video - I'm finding it hard to capture on the iOS simulator, though, as I can only press one button at a time with the mouse!
11-23-2011, 11:37 AM
Unfortunately simulator doesn't handle multitouch

You can try iSimulate - iOS app and small SDK to use your device as input for simulator. Nice stuff, very helpful

11-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a go.