★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Chess With Friends

11-12-2008, 11:26 PM
Chess With Friends

Chess With Friends was released tonight. I just picked it up and am planning on making a few of my friends and family get it too. I must admit I've been looking forward to this one since I read about it on one of the other app review sites. Unfortunately I've only played a game against myself so far, but it seems very polished. You can play against friends in your contact list or other random players with the app, or play a hotseat game with a friend (or yourself in my case). It also appears to keep a history of played games that you can watch move-by-move later which is neat. You can also go through the move history for games currently in progress. There's no options for different boards or pieces, but the ones used are pretty good. And setting up a user account was fairly easy. The app page says they will release future updates with things like chat and computer opponents as well. So far so good.
11-13-2008, 12:20 AM
Beginner chess player

I'll confess that I am a chess player who never got beyond the basics. I enjoy a game but would be classed as a beginner.

The other chess apps I've looked at in the iTunes store seem to cater for more advanced players. I'd definately be interested if they add the computer opponent and different levels of difficulty (easy, medium, hard, etc). I will wait for an update before buying.

I'll be interested to know what people think after using this app for a while.

11-13-2008, 11:17 PM
This looks interesting. I'm looking for a good chess game, but I also would like selectable levels of difficulty. Being able to play other iphone uses like CWF allows would also be a plus. And it should have good AI - nothing cheap or too easy.
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
I will never get to play

Even if they add a computer opponent and different levels of difficulty (easy, medium, hard, etc) I'll never get to play this as I've just discovered it is not available in the Australian store.

So please don't rush to review and provide feedback on my account!

I've been seeing a few apps that are not available here in Australia and not just a lot of the EA ones. I hope this is not a new trend.

I guess I should look on the positive side. Now no-one will ever know how badly I suck at chess!
11-15-2008, 12:00 AM
Update - coming soon to other countries

Paul Bettner posted this in the comments section of the article about Chess with Friends on the Touch Arcade home page:

Hey guys,

Thank you for writeup and all the great comments.

Just wanted to drop a line and let everyone know that our TOP priority right now is making Chess With Friends available in ALL regions the iPhone is available in. We just submitted a new version to Apple today and as soon as they approve this new version, it will be available on EVERY iTunes store.

For those interested in the technical details: the reason version 1.0 is only available in US, France, and Greece is that our servers only initially supported US-format phone numbers (10 digits) and we didn’t have a system in place to handle international formats.

Well, we’ve fixed that now and as soon as our new version (1.03) hits the App Store, Chess With Friends will be available world wide!

We’re sorry for the delay, I expect it will only be another few days wait at most.

- Paul
CEO, Newtoy Inc.

Thank-you for the information regarding an International release. I look forward to playing
11-15-2008, 01:57 AM
Hmm he says "iPhone". Not "iPod Touch"?

11-15-2008, 02:29 AM
Originally Posted by spmwinkel View Post
Hmm he says "iPhone". Not "iPod Touch"?
The game requires a network connection in order to play.

When you first start it up you are prompted to make an account. One of the fields it asks you to fill is your phone number.

It's so your friends can search for you. The dev says that none of the info is stored on the servers though.

This is EXACTLY like what Aurora Feint did. At least AF TOLD me that my contact list was upload to search the system (They now have a new system in place) but Chess With Friends never told me how they search... so I didn't give them my number.

During the registration it says that it will send you a text to activate the account and will also send an email incase you are using an ipod touch.

So YES it will work on a touch. It's just that it wasn't released outside the states because the phone number searching doesn't work with international numbers
11-15-2008, 02:36 AM
Ok, thanks.