★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Grip - Growl for Iphone (notifications sytem)

05-05-2009, 08:31 AM
Grip - Growl for Iphone (notifications sytem)

Considering there are alot of devs here, i think they should have look to this. Its pretty cool, and acording to the dev, it can work not only on jailbroken phones, but also respecting Apple sdk rules

http://code.google.com/p/networkpx/wiki/GriP

P.S.: i have it running on 3.0 beta 4, flawlessly
05-05-2009, 06:19 PM
It says "You should first jailbreak your device".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	8
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	3553  
05-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellSpentYouth View Post
It says "You should first jailbreak your device".
Did you read the whole thing?

Towards the bottom is a specfic section for devs following the SDK and what limitations you will have, but still following the rules.

Jailbreakroken version of this is just a lot better because you aren't sandboxed to just one app.

Twitter: @Zincous
05-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Zincous answered it for me

Here´s the important part for non-jb devs

Quote:
Programming for GriP
AppStore (SDK) developers

While GriP requires Jailbreaking for maximal function, it can also be made SDK-compatible. Of course, it is up to Apple Inc. to decide whether GriP-supporting source codes are acceptable, but GriP uses only documented API so technically it should be allowed.

There are two levels of GriP support you may use. The 1st level is simply add a GriP client, and on the 2nd level you may embed the display server as well. The GriP client can communicate with the external server and display GriP messages. If you embed the display server into your application also, then your application will manage the GriP messages. This ensures the GriP messages can be shown even if GriP is not installed. (But the official GriP server will take over yours if present).

We recommend you just to include the GriP client, and not the server.