Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 11-24-2011, 06:47 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

This is our only title so it is the only thing we're working on at the moment. Our commitment is to listen to our customers and work continuously on improving the app. Aside from your feedback directly influencing what we work on, we have our own plans as well. This includes: user generated maps, pass and play where you and a friend can square off (one of you plays the aliens and one of you plays the humans), possibly also a challenge arena where after you have built up your squad, you get a new challenge mission - possibly designed by other users.

Again, it really depends on feedback from our users. Expect us to continue to invest in AvH.

Al(ien)
Old 11-24-2011, 07:09 AM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I could not think of a game more suited to asynchronous turn based play! especially since you have gamecenter already implemented. there needs to be chat functionality and push notifications. check out carcasonne for the best example out there for how this should work.
Old 11-24-2011, 12:11 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Any demo (lite version) planned?
Old 11-24-2011, 12:50 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

We had not planned on a lite version but I understand people can be tentative until the game has some feedback on it. We also priced it accordingly to hedge against that risk.

Al(ien)
Old 11-25-2011, 09:36 AM
iPhone 3GS

I'm going to hold off on this one for a bit. I'd like to see what kind of updates are going to hit as well as seeing if it becomes universal. Looks promising though.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:10 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

I've only played the first couple of missions and I'm really enjoying this. You have up to 8 soldiers when you start, which is good, as only one or two shots can get your soldier killed in the beginning.

The interface is good (make sure to read the tutorials first) with a lot of options for your units. You can choose to fire your weapon with 3 shots or 1 good more accurate shot or use alot of AP for a really accurate shot.
Also, I should point out your ammo is unlimited, except for grenades.

One suggestion on the interface, it would be helpful to somehow show the amount of AP that would be used for any given action. Especially before you fire, it would be helpful to show the actual chance of hitting your enemy.

The graphics look fine on the ipod touch 2G and ok on the ipad 2G at 2x (looking like an old school PC game). Also, I really like the large environments, so there is plenty of room, to move your squad around.

I have one question so far, is there a way to heal your soldiers?

And thanks for bringing this to IOS devices!

Last edited by Marcus70; 11-25-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 02:41 PM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Hi Marcus70. Thanks for your feedback on displaying both the cost along with the accuracy with regard to shooting. Can you suggest a place that makes sense in the UI to display that information? I know from playing many, many hours when testing, that you develop a knack for knowing the cost of the action of throwing grenades, flares and shooting. But good feedback regardless.

For healing, adding a medi-kit into inventory is a planned enhancement. If a soldier is injured but not killed during a mission, put him on the bench for the next couple of missions. In fact, because injury affects their ability to shoot and throw grenades, if a soldier's health is under 75% at the end of the mission, they are ineligible to go on the next mission. Yet, they heal fairly quickly while not on missions. A side benefit is that your other soldiers will improve their stats so you'll have a fairly balanced squad.

Without revealing too much, I think within the first few missions, you will unlock some improved armor that will help you not get one-shotted.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Al(ien)
Old 11-25-2011, 06:53 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensvshumans View Post
Hi Marcus70. Thanks for your feedback on displaying both the cost along with the accuracy with regard to shooting. Can you suggest a place that makes sense in the UI to display that information? I know from playing many, many hours when testing, that you develop a knack for knowing the cost of the action of throwing grenades, flares and shooting. But good feedback regardless.

For healing, adding a medi-kit into inventory is a planned enhancement. If a soldier is injured but not killed during a mission, put him on the bench for the next couple of missions. In fact, because injury affects their ability to shoot and throw grenades, if a soldier's health is under 75% at the end of the mission, they are ineligible to go on the next mission. Yet, they heal fairly quickly while not on missions. A side benefit is that your other soldiers will improve their stats so you'll have a fairly balanced squad.

Without revealing too much, I think within the first few missions, you will unlock some improved armor that will help you not get one-shotted.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Al(ien)
For targeting an enemy, I think having the percentage to hit right above the enemy targeted, when you select one of the shot types in the "shoot submenu". Of course that would mean you have to select the shoot type twice to actually shoot. For movement or other actions, perhaps having the cost (i.e. -5 ap) shown on the bottom center of the screen when used. Also, I think it would help to have the remaining AP shown next to the AP color bar. Of course, since I'm not a programmer, I'm not sure if any of these are easy to implement.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:05 AM
iPhone 3GS, OS 4.x

Ok. We are adding your feedback to our list. I can tell you our short list of improvements/enhancements are:

Add the notion of a medi-kit.
Show TU cost of shooting/throwing.
Show TU cost to walk to the selected cell.
Add the ability to name your soldiers.
Make the game universal.

If anyone remembers how medi-kits worked in X-Com, it took two soldiers. The one with the medi-kit had to be facing the wounded soldier in an adjacent square in order to use the medi-kit. What I didn't like was that often enough you wouldn't make it in time to heal the wounded soldier and they would die OR the soldier that was trying to administer first aid also got shot by the aliens. But that was 17 years ago.

If we fast forward to present day, with our improvements in medicine, I'm thinking more like a self-administered "magic spray" like they use in World Cup Soccer...

Thoughts?

Please post your feedback either here or email our support address.

Thanks...

Al(ien)
Old 11-26-2011, 04:27 PM
iPhone 3GS

Having spent some time with this I think I can provide a bit of feedback.

Anyone wanting X-Com on their phone, this is basically a lite version. It looks, plays, sounds, and feels just the same but with key features stripped away. Believe me, this is high praise as I've been wanting an X-Com game on my iDevice ever since I got one!

However, I used to really enjoy the R&D side of X-Com and finding new technology to use in the war. Monitoring the entire planet from your own base also made it feel more real and immersive somehow. In AvH there doesn't seem to be any of that, it is one mission to the next (find aliens, kill them, repeat). Without the R&D, base construction, and vehicles it is simply X-Com lite and could be repetitive for some people wanting a closer reproduction of the original game.

All in all a great way to spend your gaming time but there is SO MUCH potential here to expand. I fear when Star Command comes along with all the bells and whistles, this could be left behind.

7/10