★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: BEST APP EVER AWARDS 2011
3RD PLACE
Best Board Game

FAQ:
=====

Q. WHAT'S THE MINIMUM COMPATIBLE OS VERSION
A. 4.3 - so this won't work on 2nd Gen iPods, sorry, we know that sucks, but the technology just isn't there.

Q. IS THERE MULTIPLAYER?
A. Not yet, but we're working on it! The single player game has hours of fun - hopefully enough to keep you occupied until we get multiplayer up and running.

Q. DOES IT WORK ON THE iPAD
A. Yes it does. We're also planning on making a universal app that is part of our multiplayer update.

=====

"War on Terror" is an absurdly addictive and wickedly satirical strategy game. It takes place in an imaginary world where there are no goodies and baddies, no real allies, only money. You must control the oil, fund & fight terrorism and do whatever it takes to liberate the entire planet. But don't panic, it's just a game.

SHOCK AND AWESOME!
------------------

This is a strategy game like no other - your task is liberate the world and save it from the evil clutches of terrorism. Along the way, you can team up with other players and form superficial alliances, as long as they serve your interests.

Each country contains a certain amount of sweet, sweet oil. Some have none; some have lots. Since liberation is a thirsty business, guess who gets liberated first?

And then there's terrorism. Awkwardly enough, you frequently end up funding the very terrorism you're trying to fight as you eradicate the greater threat posed by rogue empires (usually a former ally).

War on Terror is the ultimate game of the ends justifying the means.

WEAPON OF MASS DISTRACTION!
--------------------------

'War on Terror the application' is dripping in satirical humour and offers hours of subversive play. Here are some of the things that lie in store for you:

- All original artwork by award-winning illustrator, Tom Morgan-Jones
- Interactive world map, with 49 territories
- Dynamic oil distribution (every game is different)
- Advanced, reactive Artificial Intelligence
- Anonymous terrorist funding
- Original sound and music by Robert Taliesin Owen
- Features the best song ever penned by the one-and-only Jarvis Cocker!
- And perhaps the most disturbing credits screen in the history of video games
- Much more to come ...

DANGEROUS!
----------

"War on Terror" is based on the infamous, satirical board game of the same name. When it was originally released, "War on Terror the boardgame" caused some controversy for using a game to tackle such a serious subject. These days, the board game has been recognised as an important piece of satire and has been accepted into the permanent collections of the Bodleian Library and the Imperial War Museum, amongst others.

TERRORBULL!
-----------

Terrorbull Games is an independent game design & publishing studio, based in Cambridge, England. This is not just our first iOS app, but our first ever digital game. It's been over a year in development and we are very proud of it and hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed putting it together. Feedback, comments and suggestions are really welcome and we hope to develop this game together with the people that play it. Please send any feedback to info@terrorbullgames.co.uk - Thanks for reading!

WARNING: features flashing images.

Agas's comments:

"War on Terror" is an absurdly addictive and wickedly satirical strategy game. It takes place in an imaginary world where there are no goodies and baddies, no real allies, only money. You must control the oil, fund & fight terrorism and do whatever it takes to liberate the entire planet. But don't panic, it's just a game.

SHOCK AND AWESOME!
------------------

This is a strategy game like no other - your task is liberate the world and save it from the evil clutches of terrorism. Along the way, you can team up with other players and form superficial alliances, as long as they serve your interests.

But fighting a global war of terror is a confusing pursuit. Not just confusing, but expensive too. The Liberation Machine takes a lot of oil, so it helps if you liberate the countries that are sitting on massive oil reserves first.

And then there's terrorism. Awkwardly enough, you frequently end up funding the very terrorism you're trying to fight as you eradicate the greater threat posed by rogue empires (usually a former ally).

War on Terror is the ultimate game of the ends justifying the means.

WEAPON OF MASS DISTRACTION!
--------------------------

'War on Terror the application' is dripping in satirical humour and offers hours of subversive play. Here are some of the things that lie in store for you:

- All original artwork by award-winning illustrator, Tom Morgan-Jones
- Interactive world map, with 49 territories
- Dynamic oil distribution (every game is different)
- Advanced, reactive Artificial Intelligence
- Anonymous terrorist funding
- Original sound and music by Robert Taliesin Owen
- Features the best song ever penned by the one-and-only Jarvis Cocker!
- And perhaps the best credits screen in the history of video games
- Much more to come ...

DANGEROUS!
----------

"War on Terror" is based on the infamous, satirical board game of the same name. When it was originally released, "War on Terror the boardgame" was banned by toy fairs and classified "dangerous" by the police. These days, the board game has been recognised as an important piece of satire and has been accepted into the permanent collections of the Bodleian Library and the Imperial War Museum, amongst others. It is probably the first board game in history to be branded criminal by the police and exhibited in a major art gallery within the same year.

TERRORBULL!
-----------

Terrorbull Games is an independent game design & publishing studio, based in Cambridge, England. This is not just our first iOS app, but our first ever digital game. It's been over a year in development and we are very proud of it and hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoyed putting it together. Feedback, comments and suggestions are really welcome and we hope to develop this game together with the people that play it. Please send any feedback to info@terrorbullgames.co.uk - Thanks for reading!

WARNING: features flashing images.

11-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Bought this earlier. I like it. Very polished, with a lot of humor that some may consider controversial. The board game that it is based on gained a lot of notoriety and was actually pulled from the shelves in some places. I actually wouldn't be surprised if this gets pulled from the app store. Here is the link to the board game info:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga.../war-on-terror

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!

11-24-2011, 11:14 PM
11-25-2011, 03:38 AM
I got it.......before some over sensitive right wing nut job from the U.S. congress moves to ban it.

We know Apple would just roll over and take it, Smuggle truck anybody?

Games that will never leave my iPad : Great Big Wargame, Battle Academy, Battle of the Bulge, Ravenmark and Hunters 2.
11-25-2011, 05:43 AM
Will MultiPlayer over GC or other be added or will this game stay single player only?

GC: Cr0mw3ll | OF: LordCromwell | +: LordCromwell
Gunshine.net: Cromwell [a1] (non iOS)
11-25-2011, 08:01 AM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Game Impressions

Bought this because I'm afraid it won't last long in the appstore because the game requires us to fund terrorism in order to rule the world.

Good graphics with catchy soundtrack that is annoying after several minutes, War of Terror is definitely a polished board game.

The gameplay takes some time to understand because I don't play the real board game but it has good tutorial that can be switched on and off on every game. For me the basic of this game is like a marriage of Risk and Catan. The goal is to dominate the world by attacking countries by war, terrorist, or nuke (like Risk), but everything needs money from oil that is luckily earned via dice roll (like Catan).

One game lasts so long (I played my first game against 3 AI for nearly 1 hour - even with fast forward action button) because there's so many things to do in each player's turn, definitely not a quick pickup-and-play game. One major flaw considering its long gameplay is there's only one single player mode against 3-5 AI. It makes me hesitate to play if I don't have enough time to finish it. So, no multiplayer, no Game Center, and no achievements of any kind.

I love the irony in this game when I win the game and there's a note saying that the victory takes over 2 trillions dollar spends and 1 million lives...and counting. Also like the humor in the credit "mini game" where we torture the three developers to reveal their identity. Look at the pic:

Overall I enjoy this game but probably not for long. Can't say it's highly recommended (because of its price and its current state) , but I say get this one before it (maybe) gets pulled.

Ascension BeatHazard Carcassonne DungeonRaid ElderSign
GreedyBankers Helsing'sFire NimbleStrong PhoenixWright Poison TiltToLive

Last edited by Agas; 11-25-2011 at 08:20 AM.
11-25-2011, 08:34 AM
Hmm, why should Apple pull it, when they approved it? They know what kind of game it is...

GC: Cr0mw3ll | OF: LordCromwell | +: LordCromwell
Gunshine.net: Cromwell [a1] (non iOS)
11-25-2011, 09:00 AM
I get that there is no GC but does it track any sort of local stats like win/loss records or top scoring games?

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
11-25-2011, 01:06 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I get that there is no GC but does it track any sort of local stats like win/loss records or top scoring games?
Nope!!! No tracking of anything except continue the last saved game.

Ascension BeatHazard Carcassonne DungeonRaid ElderSign
GreedyBankers Helsing'sFire NimbleStrong PhoenixWright Poison TiltToLive
11-26-2011, 05:47 AM
Hi! I thought I'd jump in here and let you know, two big things that are definitely in the works - Game Center with achievements, highscores etc. and multiplayer. The latter is going to take longer, but it's something we already have working in a raw form, it just requires a lot of testing.

So yes, at the moment, it's a bit thin on "features", but it took a year of development as it was and we were going slowly insane, so there's plenty in our own wishlist that we hope to add soon - assuming it stays up there, of course. And I don't want to tempt fate, but we've survived the first 24 hours, so I'm secretly optimistic.

Cheers,
Andrew