★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Some interesting apps for electric musicians and DJs on sale

11-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Some interesting apps for electric musicians and DJs on sale

I am not the dev—just passing the info. Now put on your good headphones:

Native Instruments iMaschine (Beat Sketchpad)
$4.99 -> $1.99

Bought it (without IAPs) and it sounds just great (tested on iPhone 4 with Sennheiser and AKG headphones). Runs fine on iPad 2 as well (although not a native iPad app) in 2x view mode.

Look at the dev's website for tutorial videos, sound demos and forums.

Mobile Music Workstation BeatMaker 2 (Universal-App)
$19.99 -> $9.99

Second sale like this, the first one in May lasted five days. From their website: "BeatMaker 2 is available for only $9.99 during Thanksgiving and Black Friday only!" The app was published in Feb 2011.

iSequence HD for iPad
$14.99 -> $2.99

♩Thanksgiving sale ♩Up to 80% OFF for BeepStreet apps ♩Three days only ♩

iSequence is one of the most powerful music creation studio designed exclusively for iPad.

Thanks to intuitive 8-track sequencer, tons of instruments, flexible mixer with DSP effects you can easily program and record profesional loops, beats and melodies. Now you control every aspect of your music project.

The workflow is extremely fluid, you can now record tracks and control movement in real-time, edit them using step sequencer and automation editor, switch between instruments, tracks and views without stopping playback. You can compose, jam and mix at the same time!

- Use one of 160 built-in instruments: a collection of acoustic instruments, drum kits, pads, leads, sweeps and ambient atmospheres recorded with top classic and modern hardware synthesizers.
- Buy additional banks in the BankShop
- Play using adjustable piano keyboard or large drum pads
- Create custom instruments using built-in sampler.
- Support for CoreMidi and Midi instruments

- Record as you play the notes. Change instruments and tracks without stopping playback
- Use metronome and "slow down" mode if you are not a piano virtuoso
- Record parameter changes as you move controls

- 8 tracks and FX curves editor. Instruments are not bound to tracks, so you can play chords or use multiple instruments on a single track
- Edit music events using piano keyboard, drum pads and other controls
- Set note duration, panning, velocity and gliss
- Copy/paste, move and transpose selected area or patterns
- Arrange pattern sequences to create a complete song

- Adjust tempo, master volume and beat shuffle
- Set level / mute or solo mode for each of the 8 tracks
- Route tracks to one of 5 configurable effect channels. Available effects: Filter, Reverb, Flanger, Delay, Ring Modulator, Equalizer, LO-FI crusher, live looper, Distortion.

- Upload, record or paste samples to create custom instruments.
- Use sample editor to set a looping area, ADSR envelope, sample-mapping
- Powerful loop slicer and automatic tempo synchronization

- Export your work as HSQ, MIDI or WAV
- Import samples and create custom presets
- Copy your tracks to the audio clipboard
- Import HSQ songs

iSequence has been used numerous times to create complete soundtracks for short movies and presentations as well as by musicians to produce commercial music.
All-time best price for the first time. Published in May 2010, eight updates, the last one a month ago. There is an iPhone version (not on sale) and a free iPhone Lite version. Additional instruments via In-App Purchase (bought the Trance sounds). Sounds great!

By the same dev: Hyper modern Sunrizer Synth with versions for iPhone/iPt ($5.99 => $.99) and iPad (€7.99 => €1.59).

Sunrizer XS synth is a virtual analog synthesizer that takes the definition of iOs synthesizer to the next level.
Thanks to carefully designed architecture and heavy usage of coprocessor it blurs the boundaries between iOs and hardware synthesizers.
Sunrizer XS was built to perform and works perfectly with any MIDI keyboard or sequencer. A lot of research has been done in order to achieve unheard warmth and clarity.

· True SuperSaw sound emulation, first found in the legendary Roland JP-8000 synthesizer. SuperSaw is a layered waveform consisting of multiple saw waves which are detuned to create an extremely full and epic sound. It's possible to use 2 supersaw oscillators per voice · Polyphony: 7 voices on iPhone 4, 3 voices on iPhone 3GS
· Two independent filters per voice with configurable routing. You can select between various filter types including classic resonant LP,HP,BP,Notch and less common like Comb and Formant.
· The Morph Group function lets you continuously morph of up to 30 parameters in a sound (including effects), using only the modulation wheel.
· Full support for CoreMidi, MIDI mapping with learn function, Virtual Midi Ports and background audio

· 2 warm-sounding analog modelled oscillators per voice + 2 sub-oscillators (except SuperSaw). Available waveforms: Saw, PWM pulse,Triangle, SuperSaw.
· Oscillator 2 hard-sync and configurable routing
· Osc-mix, ring modulator
· FM (true frequency modulation), PM mode for second oscillator
· White noise oscillator

· Two independent filters per voice with configurable routing. You can select between various filter types including: resonant LP,HP,BP,Notch, Comb and Formant.
· Configurable routing: serial or parallel with bypass option.
· ADSR envelope, keyboard tracking and full LFO control

· Two LFOs per voice. It's possible to assign each LFO to almost any parameter. 3 LFO running modes: trigger, 1 shot, global. 6 waveforms, phase and fade-in knobs
· The Morph Group function lets you continuously morph of up to 30 parameters in a sound (including effects), using only the modulation wheel.
· Two Modulation ADSR Envelopes for amplitude and filters cutoff
· Pitch and modulation wheels

· A number of effects are built in: distortion, chorus, equalizer, stereo delay. All parameters can be modulated using mod-wheel.

· Sunrizer XS incorporates very powerful programmable arpeggiator. You should think of it more like a small step sequencer.

· Over 200 presets, ability to share cutom banks via email
· 7 voices polyphony
· Playback modes: poly, solo, arp
· Built-in recorder supporting AudioCopy and iTunes file sharing.
· Supports CoreMidi. MIDI key velocity can affect up to 3 parameters.
· Configurable piano keyboard size
· Hold button allows you to to keep notes sustaining until you play new notes.
· With Chord Memory function you can play the chord by only pressing single keys.
· Tube soft saturation on output

Look and listen:

algoriddim's djay
iPad app 50 % sale

✔ Direct access to iPod library
✔ Hyper-realistic low-latency turntable interface
✔ Exclusive landscape and portrait (single deck) modes
✔ Automix mode
✔ Automatic beat and tempo matching (BPM sync)
✔ Audio FX: Flanger, Phaser, Echo, Gate, Bit Crusher, Filter (High Pass, Low Pass)
✔ Looping: Auto, Manual, and Bounce
✔ Cue Point Trigger
✔ Live Recording
✔ Pre-Cueing with headphones (using optional Griffin DJ Cable)
✔ High-quality scratching
✔ Pitch-Bend
✔ Mixer, tempo, and EQ controls
✔ iCloud integration
✔ AirPlay integration
✔ Support for Numark's iDJ Live MIDI Controller
✔ Support for all major audio formats including MP3, AAC, WAV, AIFF (no support for DRM protected songs)
✔ Fully optimized for iOS multitasking and background operation

NEW: Griffin DJ Cable designed exclusively for djay's pre-cueing feature now available at the Apple Store or from the Griffin web site.

★ Auto-Cut Scratching™: Scratch the record with two fingers for beat-matched cutting.
★ Manual Fader Cutting: Tap crossfader outside the knob for manual cutting.
★ Bounce Loop: Swipe finger across bounce loop matrix to change loop interval on-the-fly.
★ Gain: Swipe finger on level meters to quickly adjust gain, double tap to reset.
★ For more tips & tricks, check the Help section in the app’s settings panel.
Highly recommended! Second sale since Dec 2010. Extremely fast on iPad 2. The iPhone version is always $.99—not only an amazing deejay tool (w auto beat matching) but simply the best iTunes music player.

All this is very good for game developers! Try to make some fresh music (and effect sounds) for your game instead of taking the usual ever-repeating four sample bars out of the XCode free archive.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 11-25-2011 at 04:20 PM.
11-25-2011, 08:59 AM
Not to forget GyroSynth
Free for a limited time

Take it seriously or not, here some examples made by real musicians:

For friends of electric dance music; GyroSynth appears @ 2:05 min, also involved is 'iSequence HD':

Last edited by Habakuk; 11-25-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Fixed YT link

11-25-2011, 09:48 AM
Thanks for the compilation. I'm eyeing the djay app since I got my pad but also the baby decks since my primary purpose would be toying around for beat juggling and scratching, I'm really digging the torque on the baby scratch which is free I believe,... My main issue with the baby decks is that there is no sticker to place on the "vinyl" so I'm leaning towards djay. 50% is very tempting as well...
11-25-2011, 10:09 AM
Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid
I've got the iPhone version of iSequience, and just bought BeatMaker2...

Knew I should have held off though, just can't get the same kind of sounds as you can with a keyboard and most plugins... oh well.

I guess it's alright for getting ideas out of your head while on the go.
11-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Thanks for the list Habakuk!
Already spotted some of these apps and will check the others now.

GameCenter : amusingGrace
Feel free to add me
11-25-2011, 10:40 AM
Pretty neat collection. I already owned Nanostudio though...should I be eyeing any of these?

Gyrosynth is pretty cool. I got it a few months back but the novelty wore off since all the sounds I made sound like Bollywood. :/
11-26-2011, 07:35 PM
Almost forgotten: iKaossilator by Korg—launch sale until Nov 30

More info by Korg:

☐ Perform Using A Single Finger
iKaossilator uses the unique X-Y interface made famous by Korg’s entire Kaoss Line, including the original hand-held KAOSSILATOR. Create melodies and phrases simply by stroking, tapping, or rubbing the touch screen with your finger; no musical knowledge is required.

☐ Bright, Colorful Visual Effects
iKaossilator is also focused on its graphic design, which shows up beautifully on the iPhone's high-quality display. The visual effects on the iPhone's display move along with your performance and add excitement. These bold, colorful graphics provide an exciting performance experience.

☐ 150 Diverse Sounds Covering Many Musical Styles
Use the 150 built-in sounds to perform and produce a broad range of dance music styles including hip-hop, house, techno, dubstep, nu-disco, and electro. Enjoy the synth leads and synth bass sounds you expect from a synthesizer, as well as acoustic sounds that simulate piano or guitar chords, even the popular sound effects used by DJs. The drum sounds let you play and manipulate various patterns simply by moving your finger.

☐ Loop Sequencer
The built-in loop sequencer lets you layer up to five musical parts. To create a track, simply assign a loop such as synth, bass, chords, sound effects, or drums to each part. Fifty loops created by professional musicians are built-in to help you get started quickly. In addition to its track-making capabilities, this loop sequencer is also a great feature for live performance. The Mix Play feature makes it easy to enjoy live remixing; you can switch seamlessly to another loop or extract a specific part from another loop while the playback continues.
Tried it and it sounds and looks really great. Very good controls. Runs fine even on iPad 2 (in x2 mode).
Highly recommended!

News about BeatMaker 2 (sale is over, I hope you got it):

What’s New in Version 2.1.2
  • Add recording support for stereo microphones and audio docks
  • Improves iPod import stability
  • Resolves an issue where main output effects thumbnails would disappear
  • Resolves an issue with corrupted project files

As we’re currently heading to submitting BeatMaker 2.2 to the App Store, here’s the massive list of new features coming in this free update:
  • MIDI Out, Sync, Thru and MIDI-over-WiFi support
  • Virtual MIDI inputs/outputs
  • MIDI Hotplug
  • MIDI Import: import MIDI files into the song sequencer and pattern editor
  • Export individual patterns to MIDI files
  • New Swing feature for recording and pattern editing
  • DropBox file sharing support
  • Revamped Sample Lab/Chop Lab. Now everything can be tailored within the same interface.
  • Non-destructive chopping options
  • Customize sample bounds per pad
  • Automatically create track patterns from chopped samples
  • Export song to individual audio tracks
  • Added amount multiplier and invert ADSR options
  • Support for Apple Loops slice points (reading & writing).
  • Korg’s WIST support (synchronizes supported music apps playback).
  • Other general improvements and iOS 5 related fixes