★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: CodeRunner by RocketChicken Games

11-26-2011, 05:41 PM
CodeRunner by RocketChicken Games

http://appshopper.com/games/coderunner-2

So I spotted this game in the staff favourites in the UK store, and I don't think its gotten any coverage here on the forums or elsewhere. I've tried searching but nothing. if there is actually a thread please delete this one! I'm really just trying to get more attention to it as I thought it was really well done.

Location based, but not like the MMORPG's like World War or Please Stay Calm, this one was actually fun and involved leaving the house. Kinda like Orwell + Enemy of the State, and I had a genuinely good time with it. Seemed liked it had good production levels and it really does suck you into the story.

Also I have no idea how to add proper links etc. So apologies.

"I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation."
+Plus: maniac5ive may blog may not
11-26-2011, 07:15 PM
Hey, I'm one of the 3 guys who developed the game. The trailer is the best way to explain the game, you can find it via coderunnergame.com.

The most difficult trick was making the story adapt to wherever you are when you launch the game, so anybody on earth can play it. The coolest part is that as other people play near you, they can hide real physical things in the area for you to find, making the "alternate reality" a lot more real.

11-26-2011, 07:20 PM

11-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketCar View Post
Hey, I'm one of the 3 guys who developed the game. The trailer is the best way to explain the game, you can find it via coderunnergame.com.

The most difficult trick was making the story adapt to wherever you are when you launch the game, so anybody on earth can play it. The coolest part is that as other people play near you, they can hide real physical things in the area for you to find, making the "alternate reality" a lot more real.
I am well impressed there's three of you, because really, I was totally impressed with the production. Little things, like on occasion when I'd refresh the mission locations to get ones more convenient, the fact that the handler did actually have different stuff to say at this point not just the same thing over again was great. And the occasions when you would actually hear 'Gary' in the background, it was really real.

Couple of questions... Will I ever find collectibles from the drops I have created myself, and if so, if they aren't there the first time, is it worth it to keep checking. And two, are you gonna add game centre support for the medals? Seems like GC would be perfect for that.

I really hope it's a success, because it deserves to be. And I want more missions now! Dammit!

EDIT: @Sanuku, thanks for linking it up correctly dude.

"I'm anispeptic, frasmotic, even compunctuous to have caused you such pericombobulation."

Last edited by Maniacfive; 11-26-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Spelling, and Thanks
11-26-2011, 08:37 PM
As you progress through the story, you'll find more tutorial videos in your own drops but not much else. The collectible mechanic was to encourage people to visit each other's locations, so there's stuff to do beyond the story missions. The idea being you could play it forever by creating and visiting user locations as their own little "missions".

And definitely, if we make enough money to continue development we'll make more missions. We've already got plans on where to go with it, adding more moral choices of who you want to show private data to, and adding the whole next chapter of the story.

You can also try replaying sections of the story from the Checkpoints page, but in a new location, and see how things play out differently based on where you are.
11-26-2011, 09:17 PM
That's good to know, thanks. I'm trying to convince pretty much everyone I know with an iPhone that they need coderunner in their life, but right now in my sleepy corner of England, the drops are all me.

Already I've started again with the main story. Was shopping with the mrs in a nearby town earlier, and it passed the time way better than sitting in Starbucks for three hours, saw the streets in a whole new light.

11-26-2011, 09:39 PM
I'm another of the three guys--thanks for starting this thread!

I'm actually working on adding Game Centre support right now. There's another update already in the pipeline (just waiting for Apple's approval), but I'm hoping to have Game Centre integrated into the follow-up release.

Keep your eyes open for the update--it adds the ability to scan the map around and "ping" for drops in those areas. We're already seeing the game map fill up in all sorts of expected and unexpected places--you might just find someone else playing nearby!

We definitely appreciate the help with spreading the word--we had a lot of fun building CodeRunner and we'd love to be able to follow up with more missions and more ways to use the location database that you're helping us create.
11-28-2011, 06:37 AM
That's great, I look forward to seeing the GC integration as my list of medals has progressed nicely

The thing I'm most impressed about with Coderunner is it really did work even though where I live doesn't have the highest population density ever. Thats always been my problem with location based games is that they've always either been shallow skins on top of foursquare integration (the aforementioned World War or Please Stay Calm.) or only really work if you're in a big city with lots of people around (Shadow Cities). Not Coderunner though.

Besides there is something quite charming about being a lone undercover operative. For a little while at least

02-15-2012, 10:25 PM
Where is this? Why has it been pulled?
02-15-2012, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reesetewy View Post
Where is this? Why has it been pulled? who know?
I'm guessing this has something to do with it:

"Free beta ends today! Get it now and you'll receive the full release in March as an update!"

Shame I didn't see this thread earlier, I'd have picked this up like a shot.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ