★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Absolute Instant (99c→ FREE) - Nov 27th-

11-26-2011, 08:57 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓 [Original Poster]
Absolute Instant (99c→ FREE) - Nov 27th-

11-26-2011, 09:30 PM
Ok resident shump experts, is this one worth clearing space for? Reviews on the App Store are kinda mixed.

Oh, and it hasn't dropped yet.

11-26-2011, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Ok resident shump experts, is this one worth clearing space for? Reviews on the App Store are kinda mixed.

Oh, and it hasn't dropped yet.
we must call upon them first by performing the ritual.

Currently enjoying: CtR, AB: Space, Guitar Hero, Rock Band Reloaded, Burger Queen World, Hunters: Episode One, Batman Arkham Lockdown, Ice Race, Bar Oasis1.5, Air Gamblers: Supremacy, Mage Gauntlet, Real Racing 2, Inotia2/3, Undercroft, Pocket Warriors, Ascension, Chaos Rings
11-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Eh. It's decent, but pretty typical for iOS shmups. Static backgrounds, boring enemies, lame weapons. The teleporting thing is kinda novel, but I wouldn't clear out the space unless you're desperate for a new shmup.

Now playing: Squids, Shantae, Mage Gauntlet, Roboto, Emberwind, Cordy, Whale Trail, Aquaria, Super Crossfire, Extraction, Crazy Hedgy, Terra Noctis, Pocket RPG, Glowfish, Steambirds, Edge Ex, SANDWICHES!!, Goat Up, Bean's Quest, Last Rocket, Blobster, Run Jump Kill, Don't Run WAPS, Jap Werewolf, Space Tripper, Sonic CD, Sleepy Jack.
11-26-2011, 10:22 PM
This game never really clicked for me, not sure why. That said, if you appreciate the genre I don't know why you wouldn't go ahead and download it onto your computer while it's free. You can always just delete it if you need the space and come back to download it again later.

Current obsessions: Bug Princess 2: Black Label, Neuroshima Hex, Pinball Arcade, Final Fantasy Tactics, MacGuffin's Curse, 1112, Dangerous, 100 Trials, Ascension, The Quest
Anticipating: Spirit Hunter Mineko, Rogue Touch EX, Fargoal 2, Cursed Realms
11-27-2011, 01:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp69 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by caanerud View Post
Eh. It's decent, but pretty typical for iOS shmups. Static backgrounds, boring enemies, lame weapons. The teleporting thing is kinda novel, but I wouldn't clear out the space unless you're desperate for a new shmup.
Hey! Don't just call this game 'boring' because the instant jump mechanic is pretty interesting and practical! I thought the gameplay was pretty neat and fun.

BTW here's the Appspy video review: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjEU7i_fviI
11-27-2011, 08:12 AM
Pretty boring to me. Appspy doesn't make your opinion correct.

Now playing: Squids, Shantae, Mage Gauntlet, Roboto, Emberwind, Cordy, Whale Trail, Aquaria, Super Crossfire, Extraction, Crazy Hedgy, Terra Noctis, Pocket RPG, Glowfish, Steambirds, Edge Ex, SANDWICHES!!, Goat Up, Bean's Quest, Last Rocket, Blobster, Run Jump Kill, Don't Run WAPS, Jap Werewolf, Space Tripper, Sonic CD, Sleepy Jack.
11-27-2011, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by caanerud View Post
Pretty boring to me. Appspy doesn't make your opinion correct.
Activate the bomb. Caanerud loves to nag today. :-) Had some nice minutes with Absolute Instant and will pick it up again for sure. Thx for the freebie! Teleport is cool!

Three stars, slightly above the average. No ads, no IAPs. Rare these days.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 11-27-2011 at 09:29 AM.
11-27-2011, 03:25 PM
Decided to clear some space and give this a shot. I like it!

Fairly challenging and like the warp idea.

There's very few good shmups that work on a 2G but this will be added to my list of decent ones.
11-27-2011, 06:23 PM
Just played this for a half hour, I think it's great. Like awp69 said, there's very few good shmups that work on 2nd gen devices, most of the ones that do all play very similarly.
This one plays and handles a lot like all the others, but it looks brilliant and the teleport mechanic is really well integrated, rather than an intrusive gimmick.

You can't tell by the screens, but the bosses look absolutely fantastic. The 2D sprites are really well drawn and have a lot of character. Everything is really crisp and clear and never confusing. One of the things I dislike about a lot of shooters on the appstore is that in an effort to make everything really visible and easy to see, developers seem to insist on making every enemy shot, every power-up, everything on the HUD, every single point of interest on the screen into these really bright primary coloured objects that whizz around/towards you. It's just distracting. And there's none of that here. It's sort of nice, understated, and the only brightly coloured objects are the ones you have to avoid.

Only complaint I have so far is that the enemy wave/fire patterns get a bit predictable after a few bosses, even though the teleport mechanic allows for more variation there than the average shooter.

It's free for now, don't miss out.