Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

View Poll Results: Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)
Sorcerer's Lair 64 47.06%
Wolverine 31 22.79%
Captain America 23 16.91%
Don't like any of them 18 13.24%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Habakuk Habakuk is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vienna, Austria
Posts: 3,539
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm tempted to try this but wouldn't this mean having no clue how many seconds you have left in bonus modes?
Yes. The display is important. There are hints on how to play the mini games and much more. But it's hard to read because the text will vanish soon, the matrix isn't very clear and there is always the danger that the balls comes back without notice.

My advice: Play hotseat mode with a buddy, let him play and do nothing but watching the display. Or shoot a video of the panel.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
GordLacey GordLacey is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 109
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
...but what in blazes are these so called "Arcade Effects" referring to? I know how to turn them off in options, I just don't get what these effects effect.
If you have "Arcade Effects" on (the default), you'll see a trail behind the ball, but also the various points you get for whatever action appear on the table as you get them. Turn them off and it's just a silver ball bouncing around; no trail, and no points appearing.

On the PS3 I'll turn the arcade effects on for a new table because it's easier to see when you get big points for something (wow, 10 million for that?! Okay, make note of it), but then I turn it off so I can enjoy the table more.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
LordGek's Avatar
LordGek LordGek is offline
Moderator
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Redding, CA, USA
Posts: 10,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordLacey View Post
If you have "Arcade Effects" on (the default), you'll see a trail behind the ball, but also the various points you get for whatever action appear on the table as you get them. Turn them off and it's just a silver ball bouncing around; no trail, and no points appearing.

On the PS3 I'll turn the arcade effects on for a new table because it's easier to see when you get big points for something (wow, 10 million for that?! Okay, make note of it), but then I turn it off so I can enjoy the table more.
Oh, duh, thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
jeffy777 jeffy777 is offline
Senior Member
iPad
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm tempted to try this but wouldn't this mean having no clue how many seconds you have left in bonus modes?
Yup, but with it on the Captain America table is not smooth at all on my iPad 1, so it's worth it for me to turn it off. Sorcerer's Lair isn't as bad though.

Once you get to know the tables, you don't rely on the DMD screen as much, although I'd love to be able to have it on all the time (please give us an optimization update, Zen).
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
soldat7 soldat7 is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 741
Default

Disappointing compared to Pinball HD. Let's hope for an updated engine and at least some better camera work.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
jeffy777 jeffy777 is offline
Senior Member
iPad
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldat7 View Post
Disappointing compared to Pinball HD. Let's hope for an updated engine and at least some better camera work.
Zen's tables and physics are way better than Pinball HD, IMO, and there are tons of camera options for both landscape and portrait. I just wish it ran as smooth as Pinball HD on iPad 1 in terms of framerate.

Last edited by jeffy777; 12-01-2011 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:36 PM
soldat7 soldat7 is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 741
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777 View Post
Zen's tables and physics are way better than Pinball HD, IMO, and there are tons of camera options for both landscape and portrait. I just wish it ran as smooth as Pinball HD on iPad 1 in terms of framerate.
Tables? Debatable. Physics? Sure. But the camera is just bad (all of them) compared to Pinball HD and the aliasing is terrible. The assets are also low res and the framerate is garbage.

They can fix these things, though. Hopefully.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
jeffy777 jeffy777 is offline
Senior Member
iPad
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 313
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by soldat7 View Post
Tables? Debatable. Physics? Sure. But the camera is just bad (all of them) compared to Pinball HD and the aliasing is terrible. The assets are also low res and the framerate is garbage.

They can fix these things, though. Hopefully.
Yeah, the tables are debatable, but I think the majority disagree with you based on the comments and reviews so far. I like the camera angles too, but that's personal preference as well. I do agree that they definitely need to optimize the performance (for now, turning off he DMD makes a big difference as a workaround, though it's not ideal).

Last edited by jeffy777; 12-01-2011 at 07:40 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Misguided Misguided is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
I can't confirm that. No difference on my iPad 2. Did you ever jailbreak your device?
no, but the whole thing seems less snappy since I upgraded, so it may not be the app. Regardless, turning off arcade effects I'd help.
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 12-01-2011, 08:21 PM
gunxsword gunxsword is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 2,556
Default

I feel the pinball is a bit too light and bouncy, esp on the flippers.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent