★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
View Poll Results: Which of the first three tables do you prefer? (only vote if you've played all three)
Sorcerer's Lair 69 47.59%
Wolverine 33 22.76%
Captain America 24 16.55%
Don't like any of them 19 13.10%
Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll
12-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
I'm tempted to try this but wouldn't this mean having no clue how many seconds you have left in bonus modes?
Yes. The display is important. There are hints on how to play the mini games and much more. But it's hard to read because the text will vanish soon, the matrix isn't very clear and there is always the danger that the balls comes back without notice.

My advice: Play hotseat mode with a buddy, let him play and do nothing but watching the display. Or shoot a video of the panel.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)
12-01-2011, 06:35 PM
Quote:
...but what in blazes are these so called "Arcade Effects" referring to? I know how to turn them off in options, I just don't get what these effects effect.
If you have "Arcade Effects" on (the default), you'll see a trail behind the ball, but also the various points you get for whatever action appear on the table as you get them. Turn them off and it's just a silver ball bouncing around; no trail, and no points appearing.

On the PS3 I'll turn the arcade effects on for a new table because it's easier to see when you get big points for something (wow, 10 million for that?! Okay, make note of it), but then I turn it off so I can enjoy the table more.

12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordLacey View Post
If you have "Arcade Effects" on (the default), you'll see a trail behind the ball, but also the various points you get for whatever action appear on the table as you get them. Turn them off and it's just a silver ball bouncing around; no trail, and no points appearing.

On the PS3 I'll turn the arcade effects on for a new table because it's easier to see when you get big points for something (wow, 10 million for that?! Okay, make note of it), but then I turn it off so I can enjoy the table more.
Oh, duh, thanks.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
12-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Quote:
I'm tempted to try this but wouldn't this mean having no clue how many seconds you have left in bonus modes?
Yup, but with it on the Captain America table is not smooth at all on my iPad 1, so it's worth it for me to turn it off. Sorcerer's Lair isn't as bad though.

Once you get to know the tables, you don't rely on the DMD screen as much, although I'd love to be able to have it on all the time (please give us an optimization update, Zen).
12-01-2011, 07:23 PM
Disappointing compared to Pinball HD. Let's hope for an updated engine and at least some better camera work.
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldat7 View Post
Disappointing compared to Pinball HD. Let's hope for an updated engine and at least some better camera work.
Zen's tables and physics are way better than Pinball HD, IMO, and there are tons of camera options for both landscape and portrait. I just wish it ran as smooth as Pinball HD on iPad 1 in terms of framerate.

Last edited by jeffy777; 12-01-2011 at 07:36 PM.
12-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy777 View Post
Zen's tables and physics are way better than Pinball HD, IMO, and there are tons of camera options for both landscape and portrait. I just wish it ran as smooth as Pinball HD on iPad 1 in terms of framerate.
Tables? Debatable. Physics? Sure. But the camera is just bad (all of them) compared to Pinball HD and the aliasing is terrible. The assets are also low res and the framerate is garbage.

They can fix these things, though. Hopefully.
12-01-2011, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldat7 View Post
Tables? Debatable. Physics? Sure. But the camera is just bad (all of them) compared to Pinball HD and the aliasing is terrible. The assets are also low res and the framerate is garbage.

They can fix these things, though. Hopefully.
Yeah, the tables are debatable, but I think the majority disagree with you based on the comments and reviews so far. I like the camera angles too, but that's personal preference as well. I do agree that they definitely need to optimize the performance (for now, turning off he DMD makes a big difference as a workaround, though it's not ideal).

Last edited by jeffy777; 12-01-2011 at 07:40 PM.
12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habakuk View Post
I can't confirm that. No difference on my iPad 2. Did you ever jailbreak your device?
no, but the whole thing seems less snappy since I upgraded, so it may not be the app. Regardless, turning off arcade effects I'd help.
12-01-2011, 08:21 PM
I feel the pinball is a bit too light and bouncy, esp on the flippers.