★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iOS gaming versus Consoles

11-29-2011, 10:15 PM
iOS gaming versus Consoles

I am new and just wondering how many people here finds iOS gaming a little more fun than consoles gaming.
I personally do because paying for console games became too much and now with an iOS device I can have the same fun experience for a fraction of the price.
Sure the graphics are dumbed down, but I have gotten the same fun factor experience if not more.
Consoles for me is more for when I have a break from college and with an iPhone or Ipad I am able to play anywhere on the go.
There is no disk changing or misplacing games or waiting all night for a stupid game to be released.
I just personally feel like I can finally play a game and not worry about making it to a save point before I leave my house and not glued to my tv.
I had the psp a long time ago and it was not for me, it seemed to have a horrible game selection and the quality sucked for the price.
I am not trying to say console games are bad, just they are so dang pricey and it gets annoying worrying about if a disk gets destroyed or not.
What is your guys opinions of Console vs. iOS
11-29-2011, 10:21 PM
iOS doesn't have Skyrim.

/discussion

But really, iPod Touch games are fun and all, but it's a rare occasion if an iOS game elicits the same kinds of emotion or connection that comes from playing a good console game like Uncharted 3 or Mass Effect. Or, yes, Skyrim. I never feel like I have to keep playing an iOS game for more than ten minutes, but today I had to force myself to leave my Skyrim playthrough to finish some homework.

Excuse me, sir, but you are interrupting my boredom.

11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainAwesome View Post

But really, iPod Touch games are fun and all, but it's a rare occasion if an iOS game elicits the same kinds of emotion or connection that comes from playing a good console game like Uncharted 3 or Mass Effect. Or, yes, Skyrim. I never feel like I have to keep playing an iOS game for more than ten minutes, but today I had to force myself to leave my Skyrim playthrough to finish some homework.
I hadn't thought of that myself, but it's true for me as well. No iOS game has done that and I can name so many games on consoles or in some cases other handhelds, but more so consoles that have done this for me.

It's not even close for me. Consoles any day over iOS.I don't mind paying more for a better experience(to me).

iOS hasn't even caught up to the PSP/DS for me yet.

Just my opinion of course, nothing wrong with liking iOS more.

Last edited by S.I.D. CrAzY; 11-29-2011 at 10:27 PM.
11-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I do agree with you guys, just to me I feel like iOS is something different and it doesn't require too much time which is something I really do not have lol.
For me console games became slightly boring due to the feeling it's been all done before.
Maybe the reason I prefer iOS is because console games stopped to impress me since I played a few that I absolutely loved.
The best racing game- Midnight Club 3 and MCLA
RPG- Fable: the lost chapters (the other two Fable games lost the whole part in which the story actually went together perfectly)
Shooter- I loved Battlefield 2 and waiting for 3 to blow me off of my socks, only game I consider buying.

I will admit there is a lot that is needed to be done to iOS games before it is even comparable to consoles like online talking on the mic and length and etc...
I see iOS as a baby still and its growing up fast.
You have to admit games like infinity blade, Dark Meadow, Modern Combat 3, and Shadowgun impressed us and are major mile markers and kind of shows what iOS can be and shows the potential in it.

Last edited by Firebird2002; 11-29-2011 at 10:52 PM.
11-29-2011, 10:48 PM
iOS gaming has it's place. It offers cheap entertainment that I have with me on the go. With that said, it doesn't hold a candle to console or portable gaming in my opinion.
11-29-2011, 10:49 PM
@Firebird

I agree with you on that.

I don't have a lot of time either, with two small children in the house. I do play on consoles a lot less that I used to in my "younger" days.

I don't know if I'm pickier or if consoles games are getting stale, but I find myself harder to impress by console games that I was before. There's so many games that are loved by so many people, but never manage to grab my attention for some reason, they're just boring. Still better than iOS(the games you mentioned, Infinity Blade, Shadow Gun, weren't impressive to me, graphics wise maybe, but that wore off quick), but not as good as I remember them being in high school.

It might just be because there are less console JRPG's this gen, which is my favorite genre.

All I have to look forward to next year, that I can think of is Mass Effect 3, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS(not sure of the release date if any)

Last edited by S.I.D. CrAzY; 11-29-2011 at 10:55 PM.
11-29-2011, 10:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.D. CrAzY View Post
@Firebird

I agree with you on that.

I don't have a lot of time either, with two small children in the house. I do play on consoles a lot less that I used to in my "younger" days.

I don't know if I'm pickier or if consoles games are getting stale, but I find myself harder to impress by console games that I was before. There's so many games that are loved by so many people, but never manage to grab my attention for some reason, they're just boring. Still better than iOS, but not as good as I remember them being in high school.

It might just be because there are less console JRPG's this gen, which is my favorite genre.

All I have to look forward to next year, that I can think of is Mass Effect 3, Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, and Tales of the Abyss for the 3DS(not sure of the release date if any)
I hear you on the JRPG thing. That is one of my favorite genres and it's sad seeing how few have seen releases on the home consoles. With that said, if you haven't already, check out the DS/PSP JRPG library. There are excellent selections on both platforms.
11-29-2011, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx8305 View Post
I hear you on the JRPG thing. That is one of my favorite genres and it's sad seeing how few have seen releases on the home consoles. With that said, if you haven't already, check out the DS/PSP JRPG library. There are excellent selections on both platforms.
Yep the PSP has been my JRPG savior this gen, I don't have a DS at the moment, but I played so many of it's JRPGs as well.

Plus I have a 3ds on the way and will catch up with some missing DS titles I never played.

That being said, I'd still prefer a console JRPG.
11-29-2011, 10:59 PM
I hate when people compare iOS gaming to consoles.

Consoles are superior in almost any way. That being said if a game is good than its worth the $60 I have to pay for a console. 6 $10 iOS games still can't match the quality of 1 console game, but for $6 I get 6 high quality EA/Gameloft games when there on sale thats a hella good deal.]

I used to game on my PSP and DS, but when I got my iPhone 4 and iPad. Those were useless. The games for them cost $40 and I figured I rather just spend $20 and get a great console game or spend $1 for an addictive iOS game.
11-29-2011, 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalB33R View Post
I hate when people compare iOS gaming to consoles.

Consoles are superior in almost any way. That being said if a game is good than its worth the $60 I have to pay for a console. 6 $10 iOS games still can't match the quality of 1 console game, but for $6 I get 6 high quality EA/Gameloft games when there on sale thats a hella good deal.]

I used to game on my PSP and DS, but when I got my iPhone 4 and iPad. Those were useless. The games for them cost $40 and I figured I rather just spend $20 and get a great console game or spend $1 for an addictive iOS game.
I only play portables for one reason, JRPG's. Otherwise, I agree with you. I'd rather fork out another $10-20 for a console game or stick to cheap iOS games to occupy me on the go.