★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Horror Vacui is a two-player abstract strategy board game based on the antiquated notion that nature abhors a vacuum.

Two players (or one player versus CPU), Water and Earth, take turns placing pieces on the board. The temperature of each piece affects adjacent pieces. The player with the most normal temperature pieces when the board is full wins!

HELPFUL TACTICS

- Keep your opponent on their toes with Hot and Cold pieces.
- Try to Normalize as many of your own pieces as possible.
- No good moves? Sacrifice a Hot or Cold piece to Normalize another.
- Watch out for the devastating Inferno and Ice Age Extinction Level Events!

NEW IN HORROR VACUI 2

- Same engaging strategy
- New dexterity-based reels and familar luck of the draw cards
- Two board sizes for longer or shorter play times
- All new 8-bit isometric graphics
- Unique temperature and element animations
- Expanded and remixed 8-bit music plus all new sound effects

magihiro's comments:

I know everyone gushed over the Last Rocket, but I haven't seen a single post about his previous game. I was wondering if anyone's picked it up/has any impressions.
11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
I bought way back when, played it a couple of times and then deleted it. To be honest I don't remember if I enjoyed the game play or not... but I do remember I found it impossible to enjoy the graphics.

YMMV (and hopefully does!)

Mac user since 1988

11-30-2011, 02:30 PM
k... well I LOVE the last rocket... anyone else checked this out?

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Repulze, Ravenmark: SOE, Cordy, Incoboto Mini, One Epic Knight, Cardinal Quest 2
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid
11-30-2011, 02:50 PM
I have the original Horror Vacui. I like it. From what I understand is HV2 is the same gameplay but with different art and the option for a larger board.

Basically you have a deck of cards you draw from to form your hand. You can play one card to the board each turn. Each card is either hot, cold, or neutral, and placing cards will effect the cards around it. So if you have a cold card on the board and place a hot card next to it, both will turn neutral. The goal is to end up with more neutral cards on the board than your opponent by the time the board is full.

Its quite an enjoyable little strategy game. I just haven't seen much of a need for me to grab HV2 since I already have the first. Plus the isometric view might make it trickier to play.
11-30-2011, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by idolminds View Post
I have the original Horror Vacui. I like it. From what I understand is HV2 is the same gameplay but with different art and the option for a larger board.

Basically you have a deck of cards you draw from to form your hand. You can play one card to the board each turn. Each card is either hot, cold, or neutral, and placing cards will effect the cards around it. So if you have a cold card on the board and place a hot card next to it, both will turn neutral. The goal is to end up with more neutral cards on the board than your opponent by the time the board is full.

Its quite an enjoyable little strategy game. I just haven't seen much of a need for me to grab HV2 since I already have the first. Plus the isometric view might make it trickier to play.
Awesome, thank you for that! Might have to pick this one up. =oD

:;:CURRENT 'FAVORITES' FOLDER:;:
Repulze, Ravenmark: SOE, Cordy, Incoboto Mini, One Epic Knight, Cardinal Quest 2
:;:GAMECENTER ID:;:
syntheticvoid
11-30-2011, 11:12 PM
Game Impressions

HV2 is basically an expanded version of the original. It's the same strategy card game as the original, but with better art, sound effects and music.

Two notable additions:

1. Two board sizes: An original 5 x 5 and larger 7 x 7. I found the longer gameplay good when traveling across the Atlantic.

2. Two Draw Styles: The original random card draw style and a slot-machine-like draw where the player can attempt to pick the card...if they are fast enough.

The AI is ok, but can't hold up to an experienced player. This game is best as a 2 player board game.

Also, I totally dig it.
12-01-2011, 11:27 AM
This game has been out for awhile...why is it being reviewed now? Lol

I LOVE A P P L E !
05-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I agree with the above impressions. Perhaps I am not as skilled a player, but I found the AI to provide a solid challenge. Also, the pixel animations possess a unique three dimensional quality and transition very smoothly. It is a very fun strategy game that I return to often and it is very aesthetically pleasing if you enjoy the retro style as I do.
05-12-2012, 07:56 PM
Async multiplayer and I will buy in a heartbeat.

Is there?

EDIT: Speaking of async multi... (goes to look for the Neuroshima Hex thread)

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword