★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Have your spending habits on the App Store changed over the past year or two?

View Poll Results: Have your spending habits on the App Store changed over the past year or two?
Yes, I generally spend much less money on the App Store than I used to 20 39.22%
Yes, I generally spend a little less money on the App Store than I used to 9 17.65%
No, I generally spend about the same of money on the App Store as I used to 12 23.53%
No, I generally spend more money on the App Store than I used to 10 19.61%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll
12-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Señor Member [Original Poster]
Have your spending habits on the App Store changed over the past year or two?

With good, popular games going free and some great freemium games that don't really require any money to be spent on IAP, I'm finding myself spending much less on apps than I did a year or two ago.

I'll occasionally buy games that I'm particularly interested in, like Shadow Gun, Modern Combat 3 and Infinity Blade 2.

But it's kind of insane how much entertainment you can get for free in the App Store. Over the last few months I got a whole bunch of good games for free, including:

- Reckless Getaway
- Jetpack Joyride
- TanZen
- RoboKill
- Cover Orange
- Zombie Smash
- Backbreaker 2
- Cross Court Tennis
- Mos Speedrun
- To-Fu 2
- Minute Commander
- Race After 1977
- Sprinkle
- NFS Shift
- Sports Car Challenge
- The Sims Medieval
- Where's my water?
- Asteroids Gunner
- Space Miner
- Bullet time HD
- The Nightworld

These games alone provide hours and hours of entertainment. So much that I often struggle to find time to play the games that I've actually payed for. So I'm wondering if anyone else feels the same way. Now I'm not complaining, getting games for free is great. But I can now see why freemium is starting to take off and why iOS game developers/publishers often drop their games down to $0.99. I'm not sure yet if freemium games are a good thing or a bad thing, but either way, it looks like they are here to stay for a while.

Hakuna Matata

Last edited by LBG; 12-02-2011 at 01:03 PM.
12-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Gotta agree with you, so many games go free nowadays. It's like you don't need iTunes credits at all... I've been having 0 credits for few weeks now and been listing all releases in wishlist so I'll buy them later, but anyway, been downloading a lot of free games...

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3

12-02-2011, 02:33 PM
I spend more now, but download less. Seems like I used to download every decent game that went free, and found myself forcing myself to play games I did not really enjoy in time I did not really have. In the last month I have deleted nearly 200 free and paid games on my ipod and from my backlog. I now buy the games I really want on launch (MC3, Shadowgun, IB2, Bike Baron), and leave the rest free or not (recently NFS Shift, Sims M, etc).
12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah once I buy a new gift card I'll only buy stuff I'd really play...

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
I still do a lot of instabuys to support developers that I think deserve it. I'll even throw a dollar at some freemium games like Bullet Time. I don't necessarily like freemium but they deserve it!

Game Center: GoofyJmaster My Twitter; Weekly Game Impressions! Thread; Game Guide 2011
Playing Frederic Resurrection of Music, Jazz: Trump's Journey, Russian Dancing Men, & Cytus
12-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Even with the amount of fantastic games that are available on sale/free, I've actually been spending more because i've been spending more time gaming on an iOS device than before. The majority of games that i've bought, i've felt i've got more than my money's worth (not really difficult considering the price of games these days)

I have way too many games, and i dont like to play more than a couple at a time, so I add games to my wishlist and, almost inevitably, they fall in price or go free, so I end up downloading/buying it thus only adding to my never ending game backlog.

Playing: Ski Safari, Polara, Girls Like Robots, Dynamite Jack, Monster Flip, Polymer, Super Mole Escape, Dream of Pixels, Radballs
12-02-2011, 03:31 PM
I voted for 'about the same', but my spending habits have changed.

When I started buying games, I bought a lot of cheap ones. Now, I buy more expensive and high-profile games, but less overall, so it balances out.

Need professional proofreading, editing or writing that won't break your budget?
Contact me at youarelowonhealth.com or via PM.

Last edited by Echoseven; 12-02-2011 at 06:39 PM.
12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Of course I spent the same or maybe less money than the past year, cause the tons of free, freemium, lite version and 99c quality games that popped out during this time...please raise the price...appstore, you are ridicously cheap

I love this world!
12-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Well I've spent MUCH less, but it's not because games go free more often. I simply don't have the time playing so many games, so that's the main reason why. I could care less if a game I bought went free, unless the developer had already promised the game wouldn't go free, or if the game went free after a launch sale.

Betas: Victory Day, Victory March, Zombwich, Mission Europa, Shadow Era, Slice It!, Baseball Superstars 2011, Queen's Crown, Aralon: Sword and Shadow, Zombie Runaway, Third Blade, Tower Defense: Lost Earth
12-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltMyTouch View Post
unless the developer had already promised the game wouldn't go free, or if the game went free after a launch sale.
Never trust a developer, this is notorius thing!

I love this world!