★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: AnotherWay2Play
  • Genre: Arcade
  • Device: iPhone
  • Size: 58.2 MB
  • Version: 2.0
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating:
    Not enough votes.
App description: ***** Top 1 of Paid Apps in France - Top 4 in Spain Top 10 in Luxembourg *****

Optimized for iPhone 4 / 4S Retina display.
Doesn't run optimally on iPhone 3GS and iPod touch.

Pinball City© New York: Crooked cops. Gangsters everywhere. A beautiful dame. A dead body. Welcome to New York...
Inspired graphics, a real physics and nudging sytem, 5 balls playable simultaneously, gritty dialogs and cinematics, absorbing music, high-speed rendering and more!

Immerse yourself in a dark, stylish New York like youve never seen before!

New York City, 1920.

You are Joe Deckard, a hardboiled detective in a city teeming with crime and corruption.

The cops are worse than the crooks, the neighbors shadier by day than by night, and every politician is in somebodys pocket.

You gotta be tough to get by in a city like this, and its even tougher now prohibition means a guy cant get a drink not legally, anyway...

A while back, you had to choose between a widow and an orphan, and you picked the widow just a coincidence shes a curvy blond with legs that just dont quit.

But that was then. Now its different: a giant gorilla is in love with the dame you were hired to protect!

Are you the guy for the job, or is some lowdown Italian plumber gonna make off with your gal?

Pinball City© : New York
- A darkly detailed representation of New York
- In Techni-Black & White
- An atmosphere worthy of the grittiest detective movies
- Superb dialogues and animations
- Challenging and absorbing pinball gameplay
- The Drinkers double-double: play up to 5 balls simultaneously
- A secret New York by night level
- A unique nudging system
- A high-performance physics engine designed specifically for pinball
- Great vintage special visual effects
- Enthralling soundtrack and sound effects in XTH Surround
- Local and worldwide rankings
- Fabulous trophies to collect and keep on your mantelpiece

Another Way 2Play
Games that change the way you play!

jeffy777's comments:
Anyone check this one out yet? There's also an HD iPad version.

12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
The good

Stylish aesthetics
Yes the game is in black n white, with the usual pinball assortment of flashing lights contrasting with the environment and shining brighter than they've ever been (this is unnecessary...). A nice touch to the graphics is the red trail behind the ball - it's very effective in conveying various blood/hatred/love emotions connected to the gangsta/mafia theme.
In short, I love the graphics style.

Physics
Ok I admit, I've hardly played any real world pinball so I'm not qualified to judge how 'accurate' the physics are. However, what I can say is the ball physics are by far the 'heaviest' out of all the pinball games I've played.
I've been hearing how the ball would often 'fly' across the table like it's weightless or something.
In this game, it's weighted to the point that you can feel it move across the table like it's a slumbering (exaggeration) mass of steel (what are pinballs made of?). One example would be the ball moving (comparatively) slowly down the in-lanes. Yes, you can feel the freaking weight of this thing everywhere.
Compared to the widely acclaimed Tristan, the ball feels heavier still and less 'bouncy'.

Table design
Empty centre playing field. Lots of activities up the top of the table and some on the sides. Haven't played it enough to know what does what and the Gameprom style table description is somewhat hard to read (see Jargon down below). From what little I've played, it's good as the empty centre allows for aimed shots for targets up the top.

Activities
Quite a lot of them in fact, comparable to the later Gameprom tables like War Pinball and AC/DC (Slayer has fewer activities than this).
There's also a code cracking mini-table below the centre of the table.

Nudging
FINALLY! Another fully functional and practical use for nudging! It's powerful enough to have a very practical effect on the ball so, abuse it with care!

Camera
Very dynamic and functional. Zooms in at appropriate times and zooms out far enough when the ball is on the flippers. Follows the ball with high level of competence. Fully zoomed out in multiball mode. No camera select option however.

Music
Very fitting for the atmosphere. Your stereotype gangsta/mafia movie music that I don't like but can appreciate in a game like this.

The bad

JARGON
Ok, I know this is a very personal issue but I does not like the heavy use of jargon one bit. 'The' in the table descriptions are spelt as 'da' and there's a lot of gangsta talk to the point of confusion.
E.g: "Ya gotta knock dat monkey down by goin' into da empire state buildin' X times to go up a level and get extra points. I hate monkeys. Dey remind me a my fadder. But do it quickly or da plumber will beat ya to it." <- WTF???

VOICES
Professionally acted, for the worse. Most if not all the lines are delivered with emotions. However, in the case of "Joe, you've got a big gun!" where the female voice actor says the line in a near breathless tone... the connotations are just too obvious to ignore.

Nudging
Nudging the table in this game is controlled by two BAM buttons on either side of the screen. Press both to nudge upwards. Problem is, they can't be activate when flippers are lifted so, no out lane saves .

Last edited by gunxsword; 12-03-2011 at 03:53 PM.

12-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
Bought. Impressions coming.
Look forward to hearing your thoughts....I saw this a few days ago and was wondering how it was.
12-03-2011, 03:50 PM
Just shifted my two posts around...

Plz delete this post.

Last edited by gunxsword; 12-03-2011 at 03:54 PM.
12-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Thanks for the impressions! It sounds pretty good.

I also found a trailer:

Youtube link | Pop Up
12-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
The good

Stylish aesthetics
Yes the game is in black n white, with the usual pinball assortment of flashing lights contrasting with the environment and shining brighter than they've ever been (this is unnecessary...). A nice touch to the graphics is the red trail behind the ball - it's very effective in conveying various blood/hatred/love emotions connected to the gangsta/mafia theme.
In short, I love the graphics style.

Physics
Ok I admit, I've hardly played any real world pinball so I'm not qualified to judge how 'accurate' the physics are. However, what I can say is the ball physics are by far the 'heaviest' out of all the pinball games I've played.
I've been hearing how the ball would often 'fly' across the table like it's weightless or something.
In this game, it's weighted to the point that you can feel it move across the table like it's a slumbering (exaggeration) mass of steel (what are pinballs made of?). One example would be the ball moving (comparatively) slowly down the in-lanes. Yes, you can feel the freaking weight of this thing everywhere.
Compared to the widely acclaimed Tristan, the ball feels heavier still and less 'bouncy'.

Table design
Empty centre playing field. Lots of activities up the top of the table and some on the sides. Haven't played it enough to know what does what and the Gameprom style table description is somewhat hard to read (see Jargon down below). From what little I've played, it's good as the empty centre allows for aimed shots for targets up the top.

Activities
Quite a lot of them in fact, comparable to the later Gameprom tables like War Pinball and AC/DC (Slayer has fewer activities than this).
There's also a code cracking mini-table below the centre of the table.

Nudging
FINALLY! Another fully functional and practical use for nudging! It's powerful enough to have a very practical effect on the ball so, abuse it with care!

Camera
Very dynamic and functional. Zooms in at appropriate times and zooms out far enough when the ball is on the flippers. Follows the ball with high level of competence. Fully zoomed out in multiball mode. No camera select option however.

Music
Very fitting for the atmosphere. Your stereotype gangsta/mafia movie music that I don't like but can appreciate in a game like this.

The bad

JARGON
Ok, I know this is a very personal issue but I does not like the heavy use of jargon one bit. 'The' in the table descriptions are spelt as 'da' and there's a lot of gangsta talk to the point of confusion.
E.g: "Ya gotta knock dat monkey down by goin' into da empire state buildin' X times to go up a level and get extra points. I hate monkeys. Dey remind me a my fadder. But do it quickly or da plumber will beat ya to it." <- WTF???

VOICES
Professionally acted, for the worse. Most if not all the lines are delivered with emotions. However, in the case of "Joe, you've got a big gun!" where the female voice actor says the line in a near breathless tone... the connotations are just too obvious to ignore.

Nudging
Nudging the table in this game is controlled by two BAM buttons on either side of the screen. Press both to nudge upwards. Problem is, they can't be activate when flippers are lifted so, no out lane saves .
You know, as strange as this may sound, that jargon sentence you included may have actually just sold another copy right here! I love when games try to use test to convey accepts, it's so much fun I might just be getting this one!

Playing:|Roboto|Cordy|QuBit|Amazing Breaker|Awesome Saucer|Groove Coaster|Gesundheit!|
Favorites:|PoP:WW|Infinity Blade|World of Goo|Phoenix|Danmaku|PewPew2|Alien Space Retro|Battleheart|Gears| LGR2|iDaTank|PvZ|ME|To-Fu|Anodia|Lego HP|Fruit Ninja|I Dig It 2|Soosiz|
12-03-2011, 06:09 PM
Here you have the big picture of the big apple:

Tried it on iPad 2 for ten minutes or so (didn't unveil the secret level). The distance of the two flipper paddles is way too large so you will lose the ball often here in the middle. Normally those are the tables in arcade halls which I pass. The shape of the paddles is strange, too. That's not very fair and almost annoying.

The table is pretty overloaded at the top and almost empty at the bottom, just two fat out lanes and the distance flippers. It seems you can do almost nothing when the orb is in the top region (except switching a lit lanes sequence and maybe lowering an emergency ladder). No more flippers there, no mini games (as far as I could watch until now). Don't like the "nudging system" since it's not intuitive at all. Multiball is easy to get.

The grayscale artwork is interesting, the physics are good. Camera movement is okay. Gameplay is hard. Three stars from me so far. Since English is not my first language I don't understand most of the slang (you can switch off voices separately). The written texts are translated into German.

Hurry up! Handpicked & Time-Limited App Store FREEbies & Sales
(Blog German-language; but you'll find all links, pics, and videos.)

Last edited by Habakuk; 12-03-2011 at 06:36 PM.
12-03-2011, 07:50 PM
Game Impressions

Impressions from the iPad version: (iPad 2)

-Top notch production values.
-60 FPS.
-Good physics and feel with just one minor niggle: it feels like ball movement is just a tad slow. Just the tiniest bit. Not "heavy" off the flippers but slow-rolling. Personally I'd tweak that "table friction" setting just a tiny bit. But others might not have any issue at all.

Overall a very nice game and a cohesive, well put together "package" stylistically; not just "a pinball table;" and deserves to be judged in that context.
12-03-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm guessing that image is from an iPad, so just to be sure... retina on 4th gen devices?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
12-03-2011, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
I'm guessing that image is from an iPad, so just to be sure... retina on 4th gen devices?
No idea, but the greyscale graphics look sweet