★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Should I get an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4s? Advice needed!

12-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Should I get an iPad 2 or an iPhone 4s? Advice needed!

I know these two products different products for different uses, but I'm don't know which to buy.
Let me put you into context: I'm getting one of these as a gift. The thing with the iPhone is that since I live in Latin America I need to buy a factory unlocked one ($750 for the 32GB model). That money can easily get me an iPad 2. As most people I don't really NEED any of them, I just love gadgets.
I would use and iOS device for the following: gaming (of course), internet browsing and for reference apps (I'm a doctor).

Why iPhone: I had an iPod touch before and loved it. But I needed it to be a phone too, I was not confortable carrying two gadgets the whole time. The iPhone is portable, it's powerfull and it has just been updated. Great apps for medicine and gaming

Why not an iPhone: $700 seems a bit too much to pay for a phone, but phone companies here will not carry the iPhone anytime soon, since it's importation has been blocked. The phone is somewhat fragile. I don't enjoy being too aware of my phone and taking extreme care mesures, but my country is a little bit insecure, so I will be forced too double check if I want to take it out on the street or public transport.

Why an iPad: Lot's of apps. Gaming is much more comforatble on it. Reading is papers or pdf's is a lot easier. Browsing sites is also very intuitive and fun. Great for using at home. Just cool.

Why not and iPad: it's close to the end of its cicly. I'm afraid I may lose interest in it eventually (I have a powerfull gaming PC and PS3). It's not that portable. I allready have a netbook but I feel the iPad would totally replace it anyway.

Thanks for reading, really looking foward to your advice!
12-04-2011, 09:55 AM
Id get a 4S or wait for iPad 3 !

12-04-2011, 10:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trysis3 View Post
Id get a 4S or wait for iPad 3 !
Same. iPhone 4s is the iPad 2 and more (pocket sized).

Let the 200 meg battle begin!
12-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by weehoo View Post
iPhone 4s is the iPad 2 and more (pocket sized).
this.

I love this world!
12-04-2011, 10:49 AM
I had an iPhone 4 and upgraded to a 4S straight away. It cost me 699. The week after I bought an iPad 2. Since using and getting used to the iPad 2 I wish I had stuck with my iPhone 4. Not because the 4S isn't a great device, it is. I pretty much just use my iPad all the time. Hardly ever use my lap-top now either.

When I buy games I'm always checking that it can be played on the iPad. Once you get used to the iPad screen, the iPhone screen seems really small. It's great for looking on the internet etc and pretty much everything you can do on a lap-top etc. If you are going to be surfing the net a lot, I would recommend the iPad. The screen on the iPhone is a tad too small when surfing the net. Obviously it's doable and usable, just not as good as the iPad.

They are both fantastic devices. The choice really is which one will you get the most use/value out of.
One thing to consider is that the battery life on the 4S is not the best. Moderate usage (being generous by saying moderate.) you will more than likely struggle to get through a full day.

Game Centre, Openfeint, Crystal, Gameloft Live and PSN ID: Smallville2106

Last edited by pavarotti2007; 12-04-2011 at 10:54 AM.
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavarotti2007 View Post
I had an iPhone 4 and upgraded to a 4S straight away. It cost me 699. The week after I bought an iPad 2. Since using and getting used to the iPad 2 I wish I had stuck with my iPhone 4. Not because the 4S isn't a great device, it is. I pretty much just use my iPad all the time. Hardly ever use my lap-top now either.

When I buy games I'm always checking that it can be played on the iPad. Once you get used to the iPad screen, the iPhone screen seems really small. It's great for looking on the internet etc and pretty much everything you can do on a lap-top etc. If you are going to be surfing the net a lot, I would recommend the iPad. The screen on the iPhone is a tad too small when surfing the net. Obviously it's doable and usable, just not as good as the iPad.

They are both fantastic devices. The choice really is which one will you get the most use/value out of.
One thing to consider is that the battery life on the 4S is not the best. Moderate usage (being generous by saying moderate.) you will more than likely struggle to get through a full day.
Agreed. It really depends how much of a handheld gamer you are. Personally I prefer to game on the iPhone 4S, but then again I've been doing most of my non-PC gaming on handhelds since the GameGear. I use my iPad 2 for browsing, writing (I may eventually get a keyboard), and work -- don't carry a laptop anymore. I also enjoy sharing games with my son on the larger screen. But for myself, I just love playing a game in the palm of my hands.

BTW, I just did a test with Bard's Tale with the battery savings option off on my 4S -- went through 15-20% of my battery in about an hour. That's not bad, but obvious you'll get better battery life from the iPad 2.
12-04-2011, 11:04 AM
I have both an iPhone and an iPad - I use my iPhone for making phone calls, and occasionally for other uses - internet, texting... Time spent on the iPad vs the iPhone is probably 100:1... For just the reasons that you mentioned - the text is bigger, the screen is bigger, it is much easier to use. If you see patients, you will start using it in your office to show them pictures, or videos of things that can sometimes be hard to explain.
The iPad 1 is certainly coming up perhaps on service life - but perhaps not - I generally figure about 3 years for these things - but that is true of all electronic information devices. That being said - I have a PC at home, that works perfectly for what we need it for - surfing the net, and doing reports on it - It isn't used for photo editing, gaming, etc... So it is 7 years old, and doing fine... It would be nice to wait for the iPad 3, but the iPad 2 has at least a couple 3 years of life in it, and with Steve Jobs gone - who knows what the iPad 3 is going to look like?

The iPhone I think is a waste if you are not going to use it for its phone / portable capabilities - I use mine for texting / GPS / Phone / see what is close by - all things that require a carrier - if you don't have a carrier - you are spending a lot of money for essentially an iPod touch - for you - iPhone minus phone capabilities = iPod touch...

The only reason that I can see getting the phone is precisely for its small size, and nothing more - and again with your carrier situation - get the iPod Touch, unless you travel, and you need a phone - probably cheaper to get phones in country though than to pay carrier rates while traveling.

Anyways, good luck with your decision. I'm sure you will be happy - either way it is good...

GameCenter ID : oldestgamer
12-04-2011, 11:17 AM
Thanks for all the replies, they've been great. I would still like to see more opinions before I make a final decision!

Just too clarify: I can get all the benefits from the iPhone with my carrier: phone, internet, etc. I just can't buy the device from them. So I have to go the unblocked way and spend a lot more.

I would love to wait for the iPad 3, but my uncle who is gifting it to me travels to the states next week. It's my only chance.

Keep it coming please!
12-04-2011, 11:42 AM
I can only say that I was very skeptical about an iPad and turned down an opportunity to get one as a gift.

Then I got to play with iPad2 for a week and bitterly regretted my earlier disdain. Surfing is just so much better on it, battery life so much longer, Skyping so much more convenient and I really loved watching movies/TV-series on it too.
The 2 games that I played on it - Broken Sword 2 and Sword and Sworcery also handled excellently and felt better than similar games that I have played on the small screen.

OTOH, you have the issue of portability. Iphone/Ipod is always with you. But given your security concerns, can you really afford to whip it out anytime that you are in transit/bored in your country?
If not, maybe a cheaper phone with an MP3-player and an iPad 2 would be better options.

Personally, I am getting an iPad 2 in a near future.

Favorites: Puzzle Quest, The Quest, Sway, Glyder, Reign of Swords, Flight of the Amazon Queen

Last edited by Isilel; 12-04-2011 at 01:57 PM.
12-04-2011, 12:32 PM
I also live in Latin America and I own an ipad 2. I am a university student and I have never regretted getting the ipad 2. I actually use my ipad 2 in class to take notes with a stylus. Works great. Apps and games look so beautiful on it. For example I got IB2 on ipad and I have never had one single issue.

As I said, the apps are great. I got skype, notability, kindle, ibooks, gplayer (which flawlessly plays any video), and tons of others apps. Surfing is so much better. As a student ipad is the best. It totally replaced my laptop.

I never understand why people get an iphone. An iphone is just suitable for calling and pics. If i want to make a cal I can do so with my $99 phone. But with my ipad2 i can also do calls now using skype.

I definitely recommend the ipad2.