Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-05-2011, 04:17 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Awesome! Thanks for joining us Rusted Apple! I am looking forward to hearing your game impressions on whether or not it converted over well.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:31 PM

Hi, Arashi!

I look forward to hearing all of what you guys have to say. I'll see how the iOS version has shaped up.

Last edited by RustedApple; 12-05-2011 at 09:10 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 04:33 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

All right. Taking the plunge. Looks different enough from other RPGs to pique my interest.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:37 PM

Can someone post the actual gameplay of this game ? not the Wii gameplay. The Ipod touch gameplay.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
iPhone 4

Woot! PSP version! I'll grab that version instead. When is it available and where? PSN store?
Old 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM
im in ur base killin ur d00dz
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

I don't think I've ever asked/begged for impressions before, but where did you guys go? Haha, could someone please drop some impressions or a gameplay video?
Old 12-05-2011, 09:00 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothis View Post
I don't think I've ever asked/begged for impressions before, but where did you guys go? Haha, could someone please drop some impressions or a gameplay video?
I've been crazy busy today, so I've only played about a half-hour. The positives that I see so far are that it seems to have a unique feel to it. Very hard to explain, just that it's somehow different. The storyline, art design, movement just different. The first impressions are good. The biggest downside so far is that the directional movement feels like its going to take some getting used to. If there is going to be a lot of action-based movement requiring a lot of precision, it could be problematic. I like the non-generic story relating to Egyptian mythology...it's refreshing not to play an RPG with a weak "good vs. evil, save the world" storyline. The writing seems to be fairly good so far as well. Again, these impressions are VERY early. I won't try to say whether it's worth the price, it's a fruitless discussion. Sorry, I can't post video. Hope this helps a little.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:02 PM

Alright, I've put a little over an hour into the game, which is about enough to deliver some early impressions. That there, tells you something about this game: with most iOS titles, playing for an hour would put you somewhere around mid-point -- here it feels like I've just started the game proper.

The good news is that Osiris feels and plays like what our friend dumaz likes to call "a real game." There is a real story here, memorable characters, an interesting and fairly original setting, decent art-direction, and, more important, engaging gameplay and combat with some depth. There are issues (I'll get to them in a second) , but none of them kept me from enjoying my time with the game.

Gameplay-wise, the best comparison I can give is the Tales series. You walk around full size levels, with enemies visible. If you run into one, you and your party are whisked to a 3D combat screen, where you engage in real-time and action-packed battles. You control one character (Julian) while your party members are AI (sadly, you can't set their behavior like in Tales). Leveling is automatic, and in general the game does not provide much character customization (at least so far).

Now to the issues:

No retina: I can understand that the game was designed for multiple non-hd platforms, but it's still disappointing that the developers couldn't make a hi-res build, at least for A5 devices. As is, the game looks a bit like a 3D DS game (think the most recent Golden Sun as an example).

Movement controls: Here I'm just talking about moving around in the "overworld" -- combat controls work surprisingly well. The d-pad is resposive but inflexible, so it's easy to roll your finger off of it and stop moving. It's not terrible, but definitely annoying. Luckily, it's not an issue in combat, so it doesn't break the game by any means.

Sound: For some reason, combat sound effects are really quiet, which takes away some of the excitement.

Minor glitches The victory animation has a minor glitch that makes part of the screen go black for a moment.

There is also a major glitch that is, fortunately, easy to work around if you know it's there. The first time you run the game, make sure to Exit the game from the system menu -- otherwise, if the game gets flushed from the dock it will not save your progress. The problem disappears after that initial run (and you can quit by hitting the home button without worry).

All in all, this is kind of an unprecedented game on the platform. It probably needs one update to fully live to its potential, but even as is, I'm still finding it very enjoyable.

Last edited by squarezero; 12-05-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Old 12-05-2011, 09:29 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Thanks Square was waiting for ya..lol You had me drooling over the buy button as soon as you mentioned "tales" ....actually i was gonna grab it anyway...but its always great to get your impression 1st!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:32 PM
iPhone 4

Thx for the impressions square! However, I will definitely be getting the PSP version when it comes out... I will always prefer physical controls over digital ones (esp with the mentioned control issues).

Also, mentioning of 'Tales' was good enough for me. Now I'm thinking about it, it's my favorite Action/RPG game/franchise of all times