★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Trollum is the story of a kingdom under attack by Berila, an evil witch intent on conquering the land of Gerifaltia. You are Angkleros, a young alchemy student who will stand up to her using artificial Golems made from natural elements.

This is a new arcade puzzle game about quick reflexes and a bit of strategy. You accumulate power in a mystical device from the sky and then unleash it unto the enemy in the form of elemental golems.

Highlights:

25 different levels that will challenge your reflexes
Beautiful hand-drawn art
Compelling storyline
Addictive gameplay

And more game modes to come in future updates!

This game will only work on iPod touch 3 and 4, iPhone 3GS, 4, 4S and better.

Unckmania's comments:

Launch Trailer

Youtube link | Pop Up

We just released update 1.0.2 which greatly improves the experience and cohesion in the game. Please try it out.

Trollum is the story of a kingdom under attack by Berila, an evil witch intent on conquering the land of Gerifaltia. You are Angkleros, a young alchemy student who will stand up to her using artificial Golems made from natural elements.
This is a new arcade puzzle game about quick reflexes and a bit of strategy. You accumulate power in a mystical device from the sky and then unleash it unto the enemy in the form of elemental golems.
Highlights:
  • 25 different levels that will challenge your reflexes
  • Beautiful hand-drawn art
  • Compelling storyline
  • Addictive gameplay

And more game modes to come in future updates!

For up to date information please visit:

Fugitive Blog
12-05-2011, 07:42 PM
Got FFYFFL3JR6ME.

Will try it when I get a sec and leave my impressions, thanks!

12-05-2011, 07:46 PM
Took L74NETTYRJK7.
Impressions coming, sometime in the near future.

Btw, plz add the app info in the first post by using [appinfo=all] iTune link [/appinfo ].
12-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Others are taken. Looks nice, will add to my wishlist!

ıllıllı ȼǥɲƹƮȿƹ˅ƹɲ ıllıllı
DEVELOPERS I ADORE
CAT IN A BOX QUANTUM SHEEP CS54 ONE MINUTE GAMES ELEFTHERIOS CHRISTODOULATOS RAVENOUS GAMES ORANGE PIXEL RADIANGAMES CAVE LLAMASOFT (RIP) MADFINGER PASTA GAMES TOUCH FOO KODE80
12-06-2011, 12:58 AM
Troll who?
Em ok, this will be a hard one to give impressions on. On one hand, I feel the game has achieved something good by introducing an innovative concept but on the unique gameplay fails to excite.

As the devs described it, it's an 'arcade puzzle + light strategy game'. I will go on and define it as a 'fast paced matching puzzle game that would not leave much breather for strategies'.

The gameplay concept is similar to Puzzle Quest where two sides will throw elemental attacks at each other while conjuring defenses for protection. That's about where the comparison ends.

The puzzle aspect of the gameplay involves matching falling element icons/symbols into slots down the bottom controlled by two arrows.
Matching elements fills up the element's gauge. The matching aspect is spiced up with paired matches and certain patterns involving a specific element. I liked 'em as they are reminiscent of Tap Tap notes .

Any element with some stored power can be unleashed by matching an attack or defense icon/symbol. There is an element strength/weakness pentagon so, there's quite a bit of theoretical strategic (*cough* tactical) considerations available.

A banner (I'm playing on an iPhone) at the top of the screen displays the battle in real time. Attacks are carried out by a unit with the element charging across the screen to attack the opponent whereas defenses will remain visible on the field.

All this sounds good on paper - trust me, it sounds much better than its played. In practice, the game moves too fast for the player to comprehend the situation other than matching the elements, much less than gauge the battlefield or plan attacks.

The speed of the falling elements are manageable, but hardly gives the player enough room to survey the battlefield, judge what element the defense(s) are, the power of stored elements and what attacks to launch. This can result in a few things: you can opt to ignore the elements and just do your best to match them and launch the strongest ones when the opportunity arises; try to juggle all the stuff at the same time; or successfully accomplishes all the above tasks with no trouble.

The last option is obviously the optimal solution. However, not everyone will be able to do all the tasks without fail. The second last option may result in frustration from missed matches/opportunities and/or decline into the first option - where the game ultimately turns into a pure puzzle matching game, and a rather tame one at that too.

Battles can be won by playing the game as a puzzle game with no tactical elements or combat. In this case, you may still have a chance in winning if you're good with matching stuff. However, the 'strategic' element of the game will be dismissed and the 'You Win' message will carry little satisfaction for the player.

This game is perhaps attempting to be too many concepts at once (or offering too many things at once) which results in the loss of a part, or a whole of the end concept. In the end, the individual elements are handled well, but when viewed as a cohesive package, fails to be better than the sum of its whole.
12-06-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for your review.

We are aware of the woes you mention in your review, but we couldn't quite solve it without making the player watch events for which they have no control. We tried stopping or slowing down the game so you could survey the battlefield whenever an attack or defense was coming up or activated but the end result felt like the game was stopping you from playing the main game so you could watch a part of it where there's not much control once it goes off.

In the end our objective was to give the player a fluid experience and the banner battlefield area is more like a cherry on top of presentation for most players playing on the easy or normal difficulties. If you do play on hard, you'll be wanting to pay attention to the top when you're past level 13 or so a little more since battles tend to be tighter and sending the right attack is sometimes crucial to the outcome.

Anyway thanks, and i hope you had a good experience overall.

Fugitive Pixel
Our blog
Twitter
Facebook
12-06-2011, 06:15 PM
I bought it becouse looks pretty cool. The art is great.... when will you release the endless mode?
12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodomo View Post
I bought it becouse looks pretty cool. The art is great.... when will you release the endless mode?
Thanks for the compliment. Endless mode is scheduled to come out for version 1.1. That should be ready before the month ends.

Fugitive Pixel
Our blog
Twitter
Facebook
12-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Cool. I look forward to it.
12-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Just released an update for the game which addreses the problem gunxsword mentioned in his review. Please do check it out.

Fugitive Pixel
Our blog
Twitter
Facebook