★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

How do I procure art for my first iOS game?

12-06-2011, 05:17 AM
How do I procure art for my first iOS game?

Hi guys,
I have started developing my first iOS game using Cocos2D. It is a 2d aerial combat game. I have the placeholder art ready at my disposal and have been developing using the same.
How should I go about procuring art for my game. What are the going charges for a good 2d artist and how much would it cost per sprite/animation frame. What kind of inputs need to be given to an artist and which is the best site/portal for getting in touch with an artist.

-PK Minhas
12-06-2011, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkMinhas View Post
Hi guys,
I have started developing my first iOS game using Cocos2D. It is a 2d aerial combat game. I have the placeholder art ready at my disposal and have been developing using the same.
How should I go about procuring art for my game. What are the going charges for a good 2d artist and how much would it cost per sprite/animation frame. What kind of inputs need to be given to an artist and which is the best site/portal for getting in touch with an artist.

-PK Minhas
You are at the same stage as we were three weeks ago:
  1. We googled forums/portals for 2D artists (we focused on Polish sites to avoid an issues with time difference) to find the most popular.
  2. We put 3 adverts (on different forums) about hiring a 2D artist as a contractor for a single project (mobile game on iOS). We requested a cartoonish graphics style.
  3. We got around 30 resumes and we choose 15 candidates.
  4. We asked them for a "free test" (a single 2D asset in our style)
  5. After 1 week, when we got tests back, we asked all candidates about their payment - according to the scope of work, so we listed all assets (without detailed description): amount of assets with a particular resolutions (e.g. 4 enemies in 48x48px / 24x24px = iPad/iPhone; 6 backgrounds in 768x1024px / 320x480px, etc..)
  6. Also we asked them how much time they need to finalize all assets.
  7. We chose only one artist - who wasn't expensive and was able to finish her work in 2 weeks.
  8. We signed a contract and right now (after 2 weeks of her work) we have all assets done

So we can't tell you what is the price for a single asset but we suggest you to do the same steps as we did - you will see there are different costs and you will be able to choose the best option for you (which fits in your budget)

Good luck!

Working hard for the hardzone now...
12-06-2011, 11:56 PM
If you want to try to do it yourself check this out:
http://2dgameartforprogrammers.blogspot.com/

Developer of Battle for Vesta. Blog at InsightVR.
12-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Thanks guys!