★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

iPhone: Best games to play while watching TV

05-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Best games to play while watching TV

Hello!
No longer a lurker (after, while lurking, I saw somebody say it should be 'punishable by death'), so: greetings, introduction, small talk, etc, etc.

I play most games either on the bus, or (at home) while I'm seeing friends, watching TV etc.
During the latter, I obviously get distracted a lot, so like games where I don't have to keep my eyes on the screen all of the time and which I don't have to have my earphones for - generally turn-based or VERY short-play (a minute or two at a time) games.

So, which are your favourite games for playing whilst watching TV (or when you are otherwise similarly distracted).

I like:

Uniwar (59p) - turn-based strategy battle game, with great asynchronous multiplayer.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=311456818&mt=8

Orions (2.99) - turn-based card/strategy game.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=299447546&mt=8

Ouch! (1.79/free for Lite) - inflict-as-much-pain-on-a-ragdoll-by-crashing-it-along-dangerous-courses-game, with each level lasting only a couple of minutes, and great customisation options.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=306932189&mt=8

Lootwars (Free) - the only MMORPG that I've liked (despite trying hard to like others) - collect bits of scrap in a post-apocalyptic world, buying/selling it, making it into other objects and fighting over it. Text-based, with tongue-in-cheek humour and doesn't need as much constant dedication as other MMOs seem to.
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=292506940&mt=8

Hope that's an OK topic for a first post, hope you have some good contributions, and I hope to hell that those links work. I'm rubbish (*goes to check if swearing is allowed here*) with html in forums.

EDIT:
In the faint hope that a Dev might be reading...
Karmastar (1.19, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=307946699&mt=8) would be in that list, if only it had hotseat multiplayer and a career/adventure mode...

Last edited by Colonel Molerat; 05-06-2009 at 06:59 AM.
05-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Haha who said it should be punishable by death? They are referring to when lurkers take promo codes though since they can't leave any feedback.

Welcome to toucharcade be sure to search before you post a thread p avoid repeats so that to don't get flamed ( this thread is ok though ).

Oh and I would say trism is a good game for that.

Beta testing:Not currently able to beta test Tested: iPlutoid, Fish Fun, Armor Alley, Underworlds, 33rd DIVISION, Robocalypse: Mobile Mayhem, Earth VS Moon, Cash Machine, Helion, Zenonia, Koala Dartz, iSR, Baseball Slugger: Home Run Race 3D, Crazy Snowboard, Galactic Gunner, Rune Mage, Match3D, Card Ninja, iGangster.

05-06-2009, 06:48 AM
one of my fav and most used games, that doesn't require uber concentration or attention is Solitaire. i love it.

welcome aboard too
05-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Trism?

What's Trism like? Is it a Tetris/Columns-type game? And is it timed? It looks interesting, I might get it if you can spend as long as you like making your moves... Otherwise, I'll only end up losing when something exciting on TV catches my eye!

I can't remember who said that about lurkers - but it was in response to them taking all of the promo codes for something!

Thanks for the welcome! And does everybody end up failing the captchas on the search most of the time? Or am I just not as human as I thought?
05-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Molerat View Post
What's Trism like? Is it a Tetris/Columns-type game? And is it timed? It looks interesting, I might get it if you can spend as long as you like making your moves... Otherwise, I'll only end up losing when something exciting on TV catches my eye!

I can't remember who said that about lurkers - but it was in response to them taking all of the promo codes for something!

Thanks for the welcome! And does everybody end up failing the captchas on the search most of the time? Or am I just not as human as I thought?
Well hello there, I see we are talking about Trism

There is a normal mode and a timed mode. So you can choose...sounds like you will not be playing the timed mode though

In normal mode (infinism) you can take as long as you want between moves, without any penalty. Very casual gameplay and does not need full attention at all, and easy to take breaks.

It's more like bejeweled, columned type of game where you make matches of three or more colored triangles. And new triangles (trisms) will fall in from the sides of the board depending on the way you have gravity tilted.

I would highly recommend this game. Well worth the $2.99

Twitter: @Zincous
05-06-2009, 07:02 AM
I personally like playing Tiger Woods Golf while I watch TV. It is one of those games that you can hit a drive and walk away from the game for a few minutes, a few hours, or a few days and then come back and hit your next shot. Although the in-game commentary is good I prefer to keep the audio off. So I am not sure if Golf is your game, but it works really well for me and may you.
05-06-2009, 07:16 AM
No question. Cozyquest. Makes grinding almost painless. ALMOST.

↪ GameCenter : Igoo
05-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Hmm, Trism sounds quite interesting... I'm not a huge fan of that type of game, so I'm on the fence. I'll probably buy a game at the end of the day (as a reward if I successfully drop an annoying habit) though, so it's in my shortlist...

As for Tiger Woods Golf - I already have 'Let's Golf'... And TWG is getting better reviews, so I'm trying to pretend it doesn't exist!
And Solitaire... Solitaire, nemesis of mine... I've never been able to work out any tactics at all, and random card placing never gets me far... OOooorhggh, solitaire...

Lemonade Tycoon (Free, http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=308715752&mt=8) is another good game - essentially a menu-based sim game, where you choose your settings then watch the action unfold each turn.

Thought I should mention another game, so this thread doesn't become all about recommending games for me!
05-06-2009, 07:40 AM
Trism was the first game I paid for and is probably the one I use the most, although Drop7 has been taking up a lot of my time lately.
05-06-2009, 07:45 AM
welcome to TA. the best ''game'' while watching tv is pocket god 100% .

i have a 3th gen iPod Touch 32GB running 3.X