★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: The ultimate hover simulation game for iOS. Hover Biker employs a state of the art hover simulation to immerse the player in engaging game play. The game is set in a rich city environment that is completely open for the player to explore. You are free to roam wherever the bike can take you. The game will come with a diverse set of challenges. You can use either touch controls or tilt controls to pull off some fantastic manoeuvres.

First class hover simulation.
A rich free-to-roam and go-anywhere city environment.
User selectable tilt-contol or touch-control (Tilt N/A on iPad1/3GS)
Acrobatics.
Adjustable hover height.
Differential steering with thrusters.
Freely adjustable camera.
Lasers, Missiles, Explosions, Smoke.
Advanced custom OpenGL-ES2 shaders.
Game Center support.
Retina Display support.
iPad2 / iPhone4 optimized.
Tutorial
Six free levels with diverse challenges and objectives.
Seven premium levels, all seven unlocked with single in-app-purchase.

Slalom
Range Anxiety
Seven Bridges
Roof Parking
Jump
Easter Egg Hunt
Limit
Air Time
Ball Control
Target Practice
T.Defense
CO2 Scrubbing
Twinkle Twinkle

NOTE: You can get the premium levels now for a low introductory price.

NOTE: To change the game options, you need to leave the game and use the Settings app at the home screen of your device.

NOTE: There is a FAQ list at http://stolk.org/HoverBiker/faq.html

bram's comments:
The ultimate hover simulation game for iOS. Hover Biker employs a state of the art hover simulation to immerse the player in engaging game play. The game is set in a rich city environment that is completely open for the player to explore. You are free to roam wherever the bike can take you. The game will come with a diverse set of challenges. You can use either touch controls or tilt controls to pull off some fantastic manoeuvres.

Youtube link | Pop Up

✔ First class hover simulation.
✔ A rich free-to-roam and go-anywhere city environment.
✔ User selectable tilt-contol or touch-control.
✔ Acrobatics.
✔ Adjustable hover height.
✔ Differential steering with thrusters.
✔ Freely adjustable camera.
✔ Lasers, Missiles, Explosions, Smoke.
✔ Advanced custom OpenGL-ES2 shaders.
✔ Game Center support.
✔ Retina Display support.
✔ iPad2 / iPhone4 optimized.
✔ Tutorial
✔ Six free levels with diverse challenges and objectives.
✔ Seven premium levels, all seven unlocked with single in-app-purchase.

→ Slalom
→ Range Anxiety
→ Seven Bridges
→ Roof Parking
→ Jump
→ Easter Egg Hunt
→ Limit
→ Air Time
→ Ball Control
→ Target Practice
→ T.Defense
→ CO2 Scrubbing
→ Twinkle Twinkle

NOTE: You can get the premium levels now for a low introductory price.

more at: http://stolk.org/HoverBiker/
download at:http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hover-biker/id477766521?ls=1&mt=8
12-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Lol looks like the admin moved the post for ya

Great promo video. Love the physics and controls. Sounds like Tony Hawk with hover bikes

One concern though, how much will the game cost at launch? You mentioned some premium maps for IAP at reduced price at launch, how much will that be?

12-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunxsword View Post
Lol looks like the admin moved the post for ya

Great promo video. Love the physics and controls. Sounds like Tony Hawk with hover bikes

One concern though, how much will the game cost at launch? You mentioned some premium maps for IAP at reduced price at launch, how much will that be?
Hi,

The game will be free for the first 6 levels (and a tutorial).
If you want to play the last 7 levels, you need the $1.99 IAP.

I intend to increase IAP price as I add more and more levels,
similarly like I did with 'the little crane that could' that saw more than 10 releases, each time adding more and more levels. Once unlocked, you get to play current but also future premium levels.

bram
12-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Gone live

The game was approved by Apple, and is now live on the app store.
Free download at:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/hover-biker/id477766521?ls=1&mt=8
12-10-2011, 03:42 AM
Initial impression: uninteresting icon.

Second impression: great screenshots.

Gameplay impressions: coming.
12-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Gameplay impressions: coming.
So, what's the verdict?

I would like to improve the game where possible, but need feedback from the players.

thx!

Bram
12-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Nice concept, poor mission design.

The set of mission designs are, not optimal. Having the player run an obstacle track for tutorial isn't fun (or easy) to get used to the controls. Plus, I got so frustrated with the course that I ran around the course and back to complete the mission.

Other missions involve driving around the city trying to find a fuel station on limited fuel... good luck (players). There's no map or indicators. I got lost and pissed.

Other missions have some poor starting points and various other issues. The one where you have to engage afterburner, you start the mission in front of a ramp, with no way to engage afterburner before hitting the ramp without backing off. The ramps are narrow and does not allow players unskilled with the controls to run up.

The controls are very sensitive and imprecise, but fluid. Let's just leave it there yeah? A hover craft capable of very fast speeds and fast turning (almost uncontrollable) isn't built for stunts. Racing perhaps, but it's too imprecise for stunts.

The sense of speed is very well done when the craft is traveling at high speeds. In this case, the sensitive controls can aid in making sharp turns around corners. The physics feel floaty and believable.

Problem is, the game feels like a good concept with poor gameplay structure. As I said, no stunts thank you. Adding a sandbox mode or some racing elements to such a fast moving and turning beast would've been the better route to take.

Last edited by gunxsword; 12-13-2011 at 02:58 PM.
12-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the review.
It is very useful stuff!

Quote:
... Having the player run an obstacle track for tutorial isn't fun (or easy) to get used to the controls.
Huh...? I think you got the tutorial and first level mixed up.
The slalom with pilons is level 1, but BEFORE that level, you get the tutorial that teaches you to hover, turn and go straight. Are you sure you did the actual tutorial?

Quote:
Plus, I got so frustrated with the course that I ran around the course and back to complete the mission.
See... but that is awesome! Personally I love games with multiple approaches to the same problem. I made you think outside the box, and solve it with creativity. I feel bad for frustrating you, and my level design does need improvement, but did you not like how you solved it just a little bit?

Quote:
Other missions involve driving around the city trying to find a fuel station on limited fuel... good luck (players). There's no map or indicators. I got lost and pissed.
Yes, I already had my doubts about this level, and wondered if it was too vague. Thanks for confirming. You are right, and I will fix this. Probably with adding an indicator.

Quote:
Other missions have some poor starting points and various other issues. The one where you have to engage afterburner, you start the mission in front of a ramp, with no way to engage afterburner before hitting the ramp without backing off. The ramps are narrow and does not allow players unskilled with the controls to run up.
Yeah, it is quite a difficult level. I can see on Game Center that pretty much no one solved it. I will rethink this one. I did notice that this is the only level that I find easier to solve with Tilt Control than with Touch Control.

Quote:
The controls are very sensitive and imprecise, but fluid. Let's just leave it there yeah? A hover craft capable of very fast speeds and fast turning (almost uncontrollable) isn't built for stunts. Racing perhaps, but it's too imprecise for stunts.

The sense of speed is very well done when the craft is traveling at high speeds. In this case, the sensitive controls can aid in making sharp turns around corners. The physics feel floaty and believable.

Problem is, the game feels like a good concept with poor gameplay structure. As I said, no stunts thank you. Adding a sandbox mode or some racing elements to such a fast moving and turning beast would've been the better route to take.
Thanks for all your valuable feedback.
I will use it to improve upon it.

Bram Stolk
12-13-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
Huh...? I think you got the tutorial and first level mixed up.
Perhaps, I dunno. It's the first level to be stuck in my memory (don't ask why...)
See... but that is awesome! Personally I love games with multiple approaches to the same problem. I made you think outside the box, and solve it with creativity. I feel bad for frustrating you, and my level design does need improvement, but did you not like how you solved it just a little bit?[/QUOTE]
It felt like I was either cheating the system or the game wasn't coded properly to have allowed for such an, unusual solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bram View Post
Yeah, it is quite a difficult level. I can see on Game Center that pretty much no one solved it. I will rethink this one. I did notice that this is the only level that I find easier to solve with Tilt Control than with Touch Control.
Try making the ramps fatter/wider. Or just add a system that automatically straightens the vehicle up when entering a ramp. I can see some very big air time with the fast craft and high ramps .
--------------------------------
Is/will an oval/infinite symbol shaped track be featured? Those will unleash the hovercraft's maximum speed. Would sure love burning those tracks on afterburner!

Plus, can there be modes where fuel is set to infinite? Eg. sandbox if there is one. I would love the same levels open for free roam.
01-05-2012, 10:45 PM
V1.1 coming soon

I just submitted version 1.1 of HoverBiker for review by Apple.
Once approved, it will bring these changes:

✔ Added new level 'Death Spiral'.
✔ Removed ads from iPhone/iPod version (screen too small to waste screen real estate). Per suggestion by Blake Patterson of Touch Arcade.
✔ Added HUD indicator to find the fuelling station in the second level. Per suggestion by gunxsword.
✔ Added HUD indicators for bridges yet to be visited in the third level.
✔ Used thicker TTY font for better legibility. Per suggestion by Goran.