Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-07-2011, 09:14 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
This looks like it's going to be the closest iOS game to RC Pro-am from the old NES days, so I'm pretty psyched. I don't need realistic physics in my arcade racer. I want classic RC Pro-am styled gameplay, and this seems to be exactly that! I'd even be happy to see the AI opponent that gets the impossibly fast nitro boost and wins every time.

If this is close to RC Pro-am, like I hope, then all we'll be missing on the iOS platform is a game that is comparable to Ironman Stewart's Off-Road Racing.
RC Pro-am had awesome physics. Nobody's talking about "realistic." In RC Pro-am you could drift around bends and do lots of other cool stuff and it all felt uniform and consistent with the game's design logic. Certainly in looks I can see where you draw the comparison but it shatters for mine as soon as I see these cars in motion.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:23 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrien View Post
RC Pro-am had awesome physics. Nobody's talking about "realistic." In RC Pro-am you could drift around bends and do lots of other cool stuff and it all felt uniform and consistent with the game's design logic. Certainly in looks I can see where you draw the comparison but it shatters for mine as soon as I see these cars in motion.
I disagree, but at this point, I only have Sanuku's video to go by. RC Pro-am (if I remember correctly...and let's face it I don't really want to go back and play the original) had cars that seemed to react like the cars in Sanuku's video. They pivoted on their front axis. And, they did drift in RC Pro-am, but I can see that there's drift in Sanuku's video for Mini Motor Racing. Maybe not Drift like you would see in games like DIRT, but still, for an arcade-y game like this, it seemed like the appropriate amount of control.

We also have to realize that Sanuku is not a pro. He probably has only played for a few minutes, so he's not always fully in control. When I was a kid, I spent literally days playing RC Pro-am. If I had the same amount of time to get accustomed to the controls in Mini Motor Racing, I'm sure I'd have the ability to do some of the cool stuff that we all remember from RC Pro-am.

I'm still hopeful that this is the RC Pro-am racer that I've wanted on iOS. Based on the looks and video, it's the closest thing we've seen yet.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:43 AM
iPhone 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoseven View Post
173MB

click to enlarge
Thanks dude
Old 12-07-2011, 09:58 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Cars move a lot faster than I expected. Sanuku's gameplay vid makes racing seem awkward- drifting around corners seems less than graceful and as a result, boosting seems to hinder rather than help as you always crash into walls after a boost instead of smoothly wheeling around the bend. I hadn't realized he was using left/right controls, so maybe that had something to do with it.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:18 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by redribbon View Post
the cars animation looks awkward, i mean when they turn left or right. kinda agree with gabrien, it feels too light. IMO, the NOS boost is really unnecessary.
I don't know looks pretty solid to me. I think they went for like a 'Cars' type of toy car physics and not the tight controlling Death Rally has.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:37 PM
iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.x

Just grabbed the HD version. To those who are worried about the handling and drifting - the tank style controls used in the video posted earlier in this thread are *hard*, but there are several other options. The slider and Death Rally style steering wheel are spot on for control. (Nitro is still weird to use)

Only a few races in but loving it so far.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:18 PM

I will definitley get this when it's out here
Old 12-07-2011, 01:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Assuming all of the corners are supposed to be drifted, it makes sense to pivot around the front of the car... since that's how a basic drift works, hence "throwing the back out". I suppose it's more of a Scandinavian flick than anything resembling a long, held drift, but considering these cars are supposed to be "mini" it fits the style. You'd need a far more intensive physics engine to properly simulate weight distrubution up and down the car in order to change the animation for different types of drift.

It's also worth noting that the game doesn't seem to be specifically focused on drifting, it's far closer to a rally... in which case you really don't want to be holding drifts for longer than necessary since the whole idea is to maintain as much grip as possible to avoid slowing down. Drifting isn't fast, just fun.
Old 12-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Been looking forward to this one !

As they say....INSTABUY
Old 12-07-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboyman381 View Post
Been looking forward to this one !

As they say....INSTABUY
Ditto!