★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Onlive App

12-07-2011, 09:44 PM
#1
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 975
Onlive App

Now that the onlive app allows users to play console quality title on thier tablets and smart phones I wanted to get some inital impression of people experience. What set up are you using, hows the quality etc.

I know I cant wait. I want to get the controller and hook my ipad up to the tv really bad now.

http://toucharcade.com/2011/12/07/th...ally-arriving/

Also from onlives twitter: LEGO Batman will automatically be added to your account within 24 hours of logging in. You'll receive an email when its ready!

Made the Front Page at Pocket Gamer AND Touch Arcade!!!
goo.gl/xjVio & http://goo.gl/aKtJL

Last edited by SirAwesome; 12-07-2011 at 10:59 PM.
12-07-2011, 11:38 PM
#2
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 222
I have Xfinity cable which is pretty fast, so I can't wait to try this on my iPad 2. I'm a little jealous of the Android users who are already using it.

12-08-2011, 05:01 AM
#3
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 185
the games are pretty damn cheap too, here is what ive gotten so far:





the homefront,red faction Armageddon, and orcs must die is just a free deal they had and it was free for 5 days, and the borderlands goty edition was a misshap on their part because they charged me for it, i contacted them and before it even went on the credit card i got the money back and got to keep the game.
12-08-2011, 06:04 AM
#4
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 996
I always felt that Apple was missing a big opportunity for iOS gaming by not releasing an official wireless controller for iPad, so if the Devs can support it with their iOS native apps, this part is good.

I am kind of afraid that the OnLive thing will stop proper porting of hardcore games to iOS though.
We don't even have NetFlix or Hulu here yet, so it will be ages and ages until/if it comes over here. And the need to have an always-on internet connection to use it is a big minus too.

BTW, is it possible to pay for it with iTunes cards or is credit card/PayPal required? Another huge minus for me, if so.

Favorites: Puzzle Quest, The Quest, Sway, Glyder, Reign of Swords, Flight of the Amazon Queen
12-08-2011, 06:27 AM
#5
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: France
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
I always felt that Apple was missing a big opportunity for iOS gaming by not releasing an official wireless controller for iPad, so if the Devs can support it with their iOS native apps, this part is good.

I am kind of afraid that the OnLive thing will stop proper porting of hardcore games to iOS though.
We don't even have NetFlix or Hulu here yet, so it will be ages and ages until/if it comes over here. And the need to have an always-on internet connection to use it is a big minus too.

BTW, is it possible to pay for it with iTunes cards or is credit card/PayPal required? Another huge minus for me, if so.
Well it's not itunes so it requires a CC. Given the nature of the system an always on connection is understandable. We don't have netflix nor hulu here in france but onlive works well.

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.
12-08-2011, 07:03 AM
#6
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 996
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
Well it's not itunes so it requires a CC. Given the nature of the system an always on connection is understandable.
CC? Not even PayPal? Meh.

As to always on connection, it may be understandable, but it is a drawback, particularly for mobile devices and for countries where Wi-Fi isn't ubiquitous.

Favorites: Puzzle Quest, The Quest, Sway, Glyder, Reign of Swords, Flight of the Amazon Queen
12-08-2011, 07:13 AM
#7
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: France
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isilel View Post
CC? Not even PayPal? Meh.

As to always on connection, it may be understandable, but it is a drawback, particularly for mobile devices and for countries where Wi-Fi isn't ubiquitous.
Paypal might be supported I don't remember. It is a drawback but you can't stream a game without an internet connection. That's not as stupid as ubisoft's always on DRM because here it's part of the concept.

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.
12-08-2011, 08:01 AM
#8
Joined: May 2011
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,366
Wait, so basically I can play MW3/BF3 on an iPhone? Or is there certain games only. Sorry, don't know how this works and was about to create a thread to ask, but saw this.

Gameloft Live: IDontKiIIPpl (idontkiippl without capital letters)

I make EDM music No I'm not some pro who's signed to some major lable.http://YouTube.com/okayyymc3
12-08-2011, 08:12 AM
#9
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: France
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercow View Post
Well it's not itunes so it requires a CC. Given the nature of the system an always on connection is understandable. We don't have netflix nor hulu here in france but onlive works well.
Using a VPN ?
I'm french too, and I'm curious to see how well this works. I've heard the quality is bad, and there's a lot of lag, both ways, so I'd like to have your opinion.
12-08-2011, 08:24 AM
#10
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: France
Posts: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOLavi View Post
Wait, so basically I can play MW3/BF3 on an iPhone? Or is there certain games only. Sorry, don't know how this works and was about to create a thread to ask, but saw this.
Mw3/Bf3 aren't on onlive yet. One needs steamworks thus making it impossible to play on onlive and EA isn't fully on board yet. But you'll be able to play saints row the third, arkham city, the witcher 2 (soon), la noire... With the controller at least (la noire is fully playable with touch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorakZoran View Post
Using a VPN ?
I'm french too, and I'm curious to see how well this works. I've heard the quality is bad, and there's a lot of lag, both ways, so I'd like to have your opinion.
Well if you have a pc you can try it now. There's no restriction on ip, I played a while back and even on us servers it wasn't really laggy. The only problem is that it runs at 720p (1280x1024) so if you've got a bigger screen the image can be quite muddy. But with an ipad/iphone or even a notebook/laptop i think it's really great!
The service is good too with unique features and they're constantly throwing promotions around.

Follow me on Twitter for all the latest iOS news. And sometimes more.