★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sonic for iPhone....coming soon?

05-06-2009, 11:01 AM
Sonic for iPhone....coming soon?

From Gameloft's twitter.

Gameloft will release SONIC UNLEASHED on mobile phones in June '09

Cloudcell, Plus+, Baseball Slugger, TTR: dannys95
05-06-2009, 11:04 AM
Played Sonic when I was little and it was a blast.......

those 200+ hours I wasted was worth it

05-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Gameloft?? Oh NO!!
Their games so far have great looks and polish, but it lacks something a Sonic game desperately needs: SENSE OF SPEED!

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
05-06-2009, 11:11 AM
Sonic Unleashed wasn't so hot on the consoles, so I'm not holding my breath, but I'll stay cautiously optimistic on this one.

Plays: Zaxxon Escape, Plague Inc., Phoenix HD, Block Fortress, Knights of Pen and Paper.
Using: 64 GB iPod Touch 5G
05-06-2009, 11:31 AM
It should've been developed from scratch by the SnailMail devs.

Four most influential games: Papi Jump, iDracula, Fieldrunners, Flight Control.
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM

hope it comes out. but why gameloft releases it not sega. I mean with Super Monkey Ball still on iTunes. or isnt it
05-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Hmmmm..... June. I wonder if its going to use any of the 3.0 (or new hardware?) features...

Crystal, OpenFeint, Plus+, Disc Drivin: Prab | Game Center: PrabSG
05-06-2009, 12:22 PM
LOL, oh my god!

Porting the old (i.e. classic) Sonic games is one thing, but bringing out Sonic Unleashed??

Ugh, just leave the poor hedgehog alone already ><'
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
and now they hand mobile development and publishing duties of their major IP to an outside company...when they themselves have a mobile development and publishing arm?

WTF Sega!? Seriously...WTF!?
It doesn't have to be such a bad thing. The Legend of Zelda: Oricle of Ages/Seasons and Minish Cap were all developed by Capcom (though Nintendo published them) and turned out to be just as enjoyable as Nintendo's efforts. OK, so Capcom are obviously bigger league than Gameloft, but you never know, they might surprise us.

Sega always seem set on reinventing Sonic when a new game is in production which is usually why they fail... people don't want Sonic with a sword or turning into a beast, they want good Old Skool Sonic. Maybe Gameloft will focus more on the daytime stages of Unleashed... we can only hope!
05-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by spiffyone View Post
Yeah, the "werehog" levels weren't great, but goddamn were the Sonic levels (daytime levels) fun as hell. A return to form, really. Closer to the classics than all but the games on GBA and DS.
I played the wii version (which was developed by DIMPS - Sonic Rush), and the daytime levels were awesome. The 3d/2.5d combination was so much fun. If Gameloft bring that over (and leave out the nighttime levels) i'd be pretty happy.

p.s. Gameloft's financial results show that the iPhone is increasingly becoming the core of its business, so i'd say it's pretty likelyit comes to iPhone.

Games I'm Playing: Jetpack Joyride, Infinity Blade 2, Batman, COD
Waiting For: Thunderbeam, Lostwinds, GTA3, Sonic CD